discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Barns Pole Barns Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 04-22-2006, 00:19 Post: 128123
trbomax

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster
 waste oil heat

Im building a 40x80x17 this summer and am looking at waste oil heat. anyone with experience to share ?

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 04-22-2006, 21:17 Post: 128146
earthwrks

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 waste oil heat

This doesn't really apply to your post but in a way it does...it might give you or some one else some inspiration to make their own heater. Back in '76 my dad built a waste oil heater (actually 2) that burned anything that was viscous and flammable--paint with dirt in it, old motor oil, etc. It was featured in a '76 Popular Science--they paid a whopping $250 to intervew my dad. It put out a measured 5 million BTU. In simplistic terms it was a 1/2" diameter hollow brass sphere with a microscopic slit cut horizontally about 3/8" long in its middle. 60 psi of air was blown through the ball and out the slit. Flammable liquid was sowly pumped over the ball. The compressed air atomized the fluid coming over the slot. Unatomized fluid was collected in a cup at the base of the ball and returned to a 100 gallon tank under the burner. The atomized fluid was ignited by a spark plug which in turn threw a flame down a sprialling burn chamber about 3 feet long and 8 inches in diameter lined with 3" of fire brick. A small blower helped the burn process. The flame fanned out to a fire box measuring 8'x 5'x 4' in which were 4 rows of cast iron hospital radiators which turned water into steam. Steam-turned-hot water was pumped 200 feet to the 3,000 sq ft house through base board radiators. Since the 16' x 16' heat house was connected to the 30' x 50' greenhouse, he had plans to heat the ground and the 12' fish pool inside with the water. GM and a large supermarket chain were interested but the untested technology seemed too risky for the times. Sadly family tragedies led to the dismantling of the entire venture. The first plant he built, he and I were in it as the room filled with a thick fog of atomized oil. A lit propane torch in the room touched off a fire storm the likes I have never seen or been in since. I never thought I'd make it out alive. "Don't try this at home" Smile

04-22-2006, 22:31 Post: 128148
ncrunch32

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 waste oil heat

Funny this post is today. I am tired of fighting with Mavis and gas station owners to get rid of my used oil. I have about 5 gallons every few months. I know they have to take it where ever they sell it - but they discourage you in every way possible. I have been made to fill out paper work, or they make you walk in your business clothes to far reaches of greasy garages, or they make you wait, or they just plain tell you they don't need it. I would prefer to get a used oil burner and use it to heat my garage on occasion in the winter. Is there an economical used oil heater out there?

I have listened with interest to posts here about mixing small amounts of hydraulic fluid with home heating oil. My wife says she saw the neighbor dump used motor oil in their home oil heating tank. Is this something that people do?

04-23-2006, 04:49 Post: 128154
wingwiper

waste oil heat

The Dealership I work at, heats the entire facility with Used Motor oil. We are a pretty good size dealership and have a Recon Bld, a Body shop bld and a Main blding with 14 service racks etc. All of the heat and Hot water comes from the Used Motor Oil.
I would think you should be able to find a Company or a dealership that uses Motor Oil for heating. Call around or stick an ad in the local paper to draw attention for everyone to benefit from.
You might even check to see if anyone is doing Oil Undercoating and would like your oil. Some use Motor Oil and others use like a Bar-Chain oil (sticks better when cut with Kerosene)
Final thought, find a a place that has Dinosaur fossils and pour it on the ground and lable it "Fresh Kill" j/k

04-23-2006, 08:09 Post: 128157
ncrunch32

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 waste oil heat

Wingwiper - from what I can see on the net - there is nothing small enough or inexpensive enough for a homeowner's garage. I do see you can build them yourself if you are a welder - which is not me! Ha - they have uncovered a wooly mammoth in these parts - you never know what lies a few feet beneath the surface Smile

04-24-2006, 09:21 Post: 128191
Murf

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 waste oil heat

ncrunch, there are several companies that make used oil burners that are small enough for an area like a garage.

Yes, some people do blend used motor oil into furnace oil stocks, it's not a great idea though, the few dollars you might save in oil could be more than eaten up in repairs. Furnace oil is very light, and the nozzle and pump contain extremely small orifices, the debris in used motor oil could easily clog the system, even if the filter got most of it.

Aside from being illegal, other uses of used motor oil are again, just not worth it, used oil is just that, used, it's also full of debris, heavy metals and all sorts of nasty chemicals.

Best of luck.

04-24-2006, 19:40 Post: 128219
ncrunch32

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 waste oil heat

Thanks for the input Murf! I will probably just continue to seek out friendly gas stations for my used oil!

04-25-2006, 08:39 Post: 128272
Murf

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 waste oil heat

ncrunch, there are several designs out there, including a hybrid I've made some years back, that basically convert an old airtight wood stove into a waste oil heater.

It can be achieved with no welding required, but will work better with a few small pieces welded together, but nothing bigger than say a basketball, or more than about 20 pounds. Certainly the sort of thing you could easily carry in the trunck of any car (with spousal consent of course ;->).

Best of luck.

04-26-2006, 06:24 Post: 128344
Art White

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 waste oil heat

We've worn out a unit in each of our stores at this point with about twenty years of them. They do have their good points but for a small garage without constant attention available I'd say no. You might try a wood stove with a good drip system to rid yourself of the oil and increase the heat value but there is a lot of issues to the maintanence of waste oil units.

05-06-2006, 22:43 Post: 128999
brokenarrow

Filter by User
 waste oil heat

By us most of the village garages (county run) accept the used oil free. All the cities in our state have some where you can take it free (they dont want it thrown down the sewers. I am suprised yours dont take it?

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Barns Pole Barns Forum

Thread 128123 Filter by Poster:
Art White 2 | brokenarrow 2 | earthwrks 1 | harvey 1 | Murf 2 | ncrunch32 4 | steve4300 1 | trbomax 1 | wingwiper 1 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
joyce1

Just For Fun Off Topic - Too much Snow Too Soon for me
Too much Snow Too Soon for me

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ poles in the ground vs concrete footings with anc
+ New barn
+ Heating a Garage
+ The Icynene Insulation System
+ Increasing door height to fit tractor
+ Pole Barn Building Materials List and Plans
+ Advice on building a shop
+ Building new pole barn
+ New addition for my new Tractor