discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > All Terrain Vehicles Forum

Page 1 | [ 2 ] |      << Prev

04-05-2009, 17:59 Post: 161749
shoo4639

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Electric Compact Equipment

Auerbach
Thanks for your comment.
As for implementation our system to heavy tractors indeed it is a challenging task and although to my self I strongly believe it is doable I fully understand that it yet has to be proven.
But for one min lets assume we have overcome the mechanical problem, the question still remain who needs it.
All electric propulsion suffers from the very same problem which is the low density of energy in batteries and of high cost.
Today due to the environmental pressure the decision has been mead to move forward with electrical propulsion even thaw its always seems to be tomorrows technology.
It doesn't necessarily have to be consisting on heavy led acid batteries; it can be hybrid with lion like in some cars, or with hydrogen fuel cells. In any case it is obvious that should such solution will be in use energy conservation issue will be more critical.
From what I a picking here I assume that it's simply does not exist yet outside the laboratories of the big companies.
In any case thanks for hosting us here, and for your comments.
Avishay

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 04-05-2009, 18:34 Post: 161751
earthwrks

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Avishay, I have a skid loader. It weighs about 8,000 lb. Its fuel consumption is rated in gallons-per-hour which is 2.9. It's rated at 78 hp.

Unlike a transportation vehicle which is rated for getting from point A to B and using that energy efficiently because of speed, machinery cannot do that. Somehwere I read a typical vehicle only needs 4 HP at each wheel to propell it at 45 MPH.

Laughing out loud, I come from a long line of prolific inventors. I remember when I was 12 or 13 I "invented" a proplusion system based on compressed air and a steam-type turbine. (Little did I know that a turbine was not like a fan) I was so proud of it. I showed the plans to an engineer-type whose first observation was: "Where does it get its compressed air?"

(I had air tanks to hold compressed air). In "my world" the turbine would power an air compressor to refill the compressed air tanks. He says "Then you have invented the first perpetual motion machine. And those don't exist".

Oh.

"Air tanks, not good enough", he said. "You'll need a big compressor mounted on a trailer to power it. And if you're gonna do that, you might as well just power the car with the engine from the compressor".

So, Avishay, this is how I see electric equipment: you'll need a big generator to constantly recharge the batteries. And if you have to do that, you might as well...

And you said thjat tracks use more power than wheels--I'm not sure about that. There are many factors that go into that pro and con. Yes it takes more power to turn a tracked vehicle that has tracks longer than the tracked width. No, it doesn't take more power to traverse sand where you have floatation. And it depends on the profile of the track too: New Holland and Komatsu excavators have what are called pavement tracks taht have curved-up side lips that make turning easier and less damaging to not only pavement but earth too.

04-06-2009, 00:57 Post: 161760
shoo4639

Filter by User

Auerbach
Thanks for your comment.
As for implementation our system to heavy tractors indeed it is a challenging task and although to my self I strongly believe it is doable I fully understand that it yet has to be proven.
But for one min lets assume we have overcome the mechanical problem, the question still remain who needs it.
All electric propulsion suffers from the very same problem which is the low density of energy in batteries and of high cost.
Today due to the environmental pressure the decision has been mead to move forward with electrical propulsion even thaw its always seems to be tomorrows technology.
It doesn't necessarily have to be consisting on heavy led acid batteries; it can be hybrid with lion like in some cars, or with hydrogen fuel cells. In any case it is obvious that should such solution will be in use energy conservation issue will be more critical.
From what I a picking here I assume that it's simply does not exist yet outside the laboratories of the big companies.
In any case thanks for hosting us here, and for your comments.
Avishay

04-06-2009, 10:44 Post: 161762
Murf

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

A tractor, by the very nature of it, is designed, and primarily used for, heavy draft work, that is, pulling heavy loads.

From this point of view a tractor has a lot in common with an airplane.

For this it needs to be very efficient at converting the energy into mechanical power, and with the least amount of weight necessary to do the job.

Unfortunately, tractors, just like airplanes, are VERY difficult to convert to electric power. With today's battery technology there just isn't a battery capable of producing enough power, for a long enough period, that weighs the same or less than a comparable internal combustion engine.

When you add tracks to the tractor, even only part-time like yours, it just makes it that much more difficult.

Every pound you add means that much more parasitic losses.

Best of luck.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page 1 | [ 2 ] |      << Prev

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > All Terrain Vehicles Forum

Thread 161727 Filter by Poster:
auerbach 2 | candoarms 2 | DavidLevin 2 | earthwrks 3 | hardwood 1 | Murf 1 | shoo4639 3 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
Coachlarry

John Deere Gator - 1200A Bunker Rake Shudder under load
1200A Bunker Rake Shudder under load

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ Golf cart ATV or Gator type vehicle
+ 3 wheelers rule
+ Kubota s RTV
+ Using an ATV to plow snow
+ Kubota RTV 900-sticks in reverse
+ Polaris
+ your favorite ATV
+ The Gold Wing of ATV s
+ 100-acres with ATV trails--best way to do on 3rd g