discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Dogs and other Pets Forum

Page 1 | [ 2 ] |      << Prev

08-26-2005, 07:45 Post: 115471
shortmagnum

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Am I trying to be like Murf

Justus, Thanks, we always had Labs when I was growing up. They were all good dogs and good hunters. I remember my older brother in the yard telling one young lab to sit and stay. He forgot about it and 2 hours later the poor thing was still sitting.Smile

Brenden, We also had a rat terrier. Again, a really neat dog. Is there a relationship between rats and Jack Russels? I suppose way back there somewhere there was a common ancestry. I think the Jack Russell was originally bred from a fox terrier by the good Parson. Murf???
Dave

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 08-26-2005, 08:25 Post: 115472
Murf

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Hey folks, the theory is right, they're all 'cousins' to each other.

As I touched on earlier, JRT's are "pure-bred mutts", that is they are the product of very selective inter-breeding between pure-bred animals of similar breeds. The idea was to combine the best attributes of each into one "super dog" that was the best all round hunting dog possible.

The original goal was to end up with a breed which could run with both the hounds and horses, would readily go to ground and flush the fox back to the surface, be a more than adequate upland bird & game dog, and also be a good companion dog, one which was not in the least bit afraid of horses or guns.

He succeeded quite admirably, IMHO.

The original main breeds combined were the Wire Haired Fox Terrier, the Beagle, and the Corgi. There were also, however, many other working breeds, mostly of the terrier group which were minor components of the end result.

The Rat Terrier is a breed that is really only known in North America (mostly just the United States) and is a result of a mixture of the fox terriers brought here from England my the original settlers. In most other parts of the world the same basic dog is known as the Smooth Fox Terrier and there is some speculation that the Rat Terrier breed was just a way to standardize a new cross-breed of terriers that evolved in the US.

They are all the same in general appearance, temperment and behaviour.

Usually hyperactivity is a sign of either an incorrect diet, or lack of activity. Please note, by 'activity' I do NOT mean exercise. A JRT (or most any other terrier) will do just fine on very moderate amounts of exercise provided they are given a liberal amount of mental activity to keep them occupied. My present dog's Grandfather was my main stud dog years ago, he was also at my side day & night, he would lay at my feet in the office, waiting for something to happen, and he never tired of merely watching the world go by out the truck window as I drove between sites. He (and I) would log upwards of 75,000 miles a year. This is why JRT's make such fantastic companions for retirees, they thrive on some constant activity, regardless of how minor or trivial.

Anything closely related or resembling what they perceive as prey is in great peril from all of these dogs. Racoons, Chipmunks, Squirrels, Ferrets, Mink, Weasels, Cats, even Groundhogs are favourites.

Best of luck.

08-26-2005, 08:52 Post: 115474
DRankin

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Some years ago there was a feature article in one of the outdoor magazines about a guy who guided/hunted mountain lion in Colorado.

He had a pack of hounds that could track and tree the big cats but they would occasionally get their lunch eaten by a lion that turned on them instead of running.

So he added an Airedale Terrier to the pack and ended that problem.

04-25-2017, 13:21 Post: 196590
toolate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf | view 115364
Dave, you will find that there is a very powerful connecting link between a JR's ears and their stomach..

Great old thread. A dog's ears along with the nose are crazy sensitive.

Recently my dog was distracted and ignoring me completely. Then I thought what is his favorite SOUND?

He was over a hundred yards away out of line of site.

Brought his metal feeding bowl outside and dropped 3 kibbles into the bowl.

Wowwww is he fast for the right thing. Used Murfs technique when he was a pup, great advice...

04-25-2017, 13:50 Post: 196591
Murf

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendonN | view 115458
Sounds like some knowledgable dog folks here that may be able to answer a question.Around here, Rat Terriers are quite common and we have a pair ourselves.I have heard that this breed and the Jack Russell are pretty closely related.Is this true?The Rats make great farm dogs and have the built in desire and ability too

Wow, here's a step back in time.

Yes Brendon, Rat Terriers are very closely related to Jack Russell's, and yes, they have a very deep-seated built-in hatred of rodents, even skunks.

Luckily mine, which are the 'original' JRT's, now officially called Parson Russell Terriers, have skunks down cold and odor free.

The skunks just amble along and don't have much in the way of vision, they don't need it, the dogs line themselves up about 45 degrees to the rear and side and just run at them as fast as they can. When they hit the skunk just behind the ear they clamp their jaws down and roll and flip the skunk coming to a stop back on their feet and shaking vigorously. The first hit and flip usually breaks their neck cleanly and there's no fuss or smell.

Best of luck.

04-25-2017, 22:31 Post: 196594
kthompson

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Just stumbled across this thread and it was good to read. Saw some names that bring good memories and the thoughts of the Golden we had to put down a couple of years after the original post. Yet to reach out of another dog. Do miss having a dog around when outdoors working.

The part about being like Murf is a reminder we never know who is watching us and what example we are setting for them. I will add Murf you have been a blessing to me as others here have also been.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page 1 | [ 2 ] |      << Prev

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Dogs and other Pets Forum

Thread 115353 Filter by Poster:
BrendonN 1 | brokenarrow 1 | DRankin 1 | Iowafun 1 | Justus 1 | kthompson 1 | kwschumm 1 | Murf 4 | shortmagnum 4 | toolate 1 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
DennisCTB

Sports Outdoors - Tough Year for Deer
Tough Year for Deer

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ Flatulent gifts human and dog based
+ The Lab Manure Roll
+ Am I trying to be like Murf
+ Field Mice Attack
+ My Labrador started limping has osteo sarcoma canc
+ Funny Critters
+ Ole Dogs and other pets good memories
+ Lost a good friend and a member of the family toda
+ Retrieving a ball Injuries