discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > General Motors Forum

Page 1 | [ 2 ] | 3 |      << Prev | Next >>

03-30-2005, 16:01 Post: 109122
StephenR

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Chevy V8 Engine Slap

AV8R,
Actually the Sequoia is slightly larger than the Land Cruiser, the LC is all-wheel drive also, more of a gas hog. Since my wife is a stay at home mother, we put on about 10,000 miles a year. Which is why I'm hoping the gas prices start bringing the cost of these beasts down.

YP,
I don't like the fact that Ford keeps lowering the Expedition which I think is for PC reasons. Excursions are cool, I don't think my wife would like it though.

grinder,
According to the dealer, Toyota is supposed to start a full sized line sometime next year, complete with a new designed diesel.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 03-30-2005, 16:34 Post: 109126
bnrhuffman

Chevy V8 Engine Slap

Expand your search to 99s and older. They have the good ole 5.7 liter. I dont think there are any issues with those except maybe a couple fewer MPG.

03-30-2005, 19:20 Post: 109142
StephenR

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Chevy V8 Engine Slap

So does the piston slap cause any problems other than an uneasy feeling? I see 100,000 mile + Suburbans on the net and Consumer Reports didn't mention anything about it in this years car report.

03-30-2005, 19:41 Post: 109146
beagle

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Chevy V8 Engine Slap

I have a buddy who is a calibration engineer at the GM proving grounds. He clains the engine slap was discovered by GM before the engine was released to the market, but was dismissed as a minor annoyance. I suppose that depends on whether paying $35k for a rattle trap is annoying or not.

I have a 04 Silverado with the 5.3. No piston slap, but there is a "clunk" in the transmission or drivetrain when accelerating. It sounds like a hydraulic or control probelm in the transmission, but again, was told that is "normal".

These test engineers need to start having to pay for the vehicles they drive.

03-30-2005, 20:09 Post: 109152
denwood

Chevy V8 Engine Slap

To me this seems par for the course for GM. I have always had GM and I have very few biases. I kept on forgiving them saying "Oh by now they have improved things" It never happens. My 79 blazer was as reliable as my 83 jimmy, 95 sunfire, 95 suburban. The suburban was the last straw and no more GM. They shoved it in my ass till I tasted it. 95 suburban 6.5 td 3/4 ton loaded to the gills. By 60 thousand miles it was unbearable. 3rd injection pump and GM said if I didn't pay to have the tank removed and the entire fuel system flushed, warranty was over. What could I do. I paid and asked what they found. NOTHING. It was clean. Each morning the first person to drive, no matter how gently you applied the brakes, all wheels locked, after that it was fine. If you left the doors unlocked or locked, the back would freeze unlocked or locked and no use of that door till thaw. A/c would give out when it was really hot and then start again fine. Fuel guage would only move between turning off and on the engine. If you filled up and drove 8 hours, no movement till you shut it off. Rear defrost elements only worked partly. It would not start below 35 unless plugged in. Had new harness and glow plugs, no better. When you were driving along smoothly, all of the sudden it would miss a beat. Happened about once every couple days. About once a week when you pulled out from a red light, it would stumble along and not accelerate for 5 seconds. The steering was wondering all over the road. GM said they designed play into the steering and it was in spec. It had hydro-boost brakes, not vaccuum, so when you braked on a curve, the steering would get all funny like it had too much power. We unloaded that turd and got a Mitsubishi Montero ls. 78000 miles never in shop for anything, still original brakes to 65000. Traded it for a VW tdi. No more GM.

03-31-2005, 03:56 Post: 109158
grinder

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Chevy V8 Engine Slap

Beagle
The clunk I think your ref. to is called "drive Line Clunk Bulletin" Don't worry they are aware of it I'm told.
These bulletin's keep them from having to step up and fix it as far as I can see? They retuned my driveshaft on the computer?(sounds good) and it came right back. My General
Mess of Crap has been in the shop since it had 900 mi. on it. I leave it parked in the yard paid for and with 60,ooo
mi. and run my 1986 Isuzu pick up I found last year with 31000 mi. on it. run's like a top w/32mpg. I would trade out
of the GMC but it has depreciated so much in 3 yrs. I might as well keep it to haul my stump grinder around summers.
Remember they are "Professional Grade". What a crock of bull! Ask your friend for me if they actually drive these trucks before they sell them?

03-31-2005, 07:36 Post: 109170
beagle

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Chevy V8 Engine Slap

grinder, the real kick in the pants is that they do drive these things before they sell them. He drove a GMT-800 vehicle for a year before they came to market. He has been driving a H-3 for 3 months now, with his computer hooked up to it. Every day he downloads 3000 lines of calibration information into some database. The problem is the politics at GM. Getting someone to make a decision to change what engineering has developed takes divine intervention. They leave it up to the calibration engineers to make it work. Nobody has the balls to go back and get things changed.

03-31-2005, 08:04 Post: 109171
shortmagnum

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 Chevy V8 Engine Slap

I've had a GM credit card for years. Growing up with GM made me think I'd always buy from them. It gives me 5% credit for a GM vehicle with every purchase I make with it. I don't know why I keep it. I passed up thousands in savings by buying a Ford F150 then finally used the credit on my wife's Bonneville. Nice car but two power windows stopped working and three out of five seat belt buckles stopped working, just after warrantee expiration of course. Pontiac fixed the first two but refused to fix the third. What a recipe for a lawsuit, DUH. A deer totaled that car out a year ago and now she's got a Honda accord. What can I say, it's a Honda, no problems at all.

The value of GM stock has dropped in half over the past year. I wonder why?
Dave

03-31-2005, 08:52 Post: 109177
DRankin

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 Chevy V8 Engine Slap

I had a 92 Chevy issued to me as a take-home patrol car.

It averaged 10,000 miles per transmission. It never pulled a trailer or operated in hot weather. Still, couldn't keep a transmission in that thing.

03-31-2005, 10:05 Post: 109182
yooperpete

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Chevy V8 Engine Slap

I have a character for a brother-in-law that drives Suburbans exclusively and has about 4 or 5 of them. He pays about $400.00 apiece for them and now is up to about 1979 models. Drives them till the doors fall off, he uses ropes to tie them shut. It usually will take 2 motors to get them to 300,000 miles then he uses parts from the others to keep them going. The paint peels on the roof and hood. He paints barn roofs for a living and paints that area of the suburban "barnroof silver". He is usually happy if he has one windshield wiper working. Doesn't worry about locking the doors since the dog inside gives good protection while he is in the bar. He doesn't worry about power windows since he leaves them down for the entire summer.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page 1 | [ 2 ] | 3 |      << Prev | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > General Motors Forum

Thread 109089 Filter by Poster:
AV8R 4 | beagle 2 | Billy 1 | bnrhuffman 1 | brokenarrow 1 | cthonestguy 2 | denwood 1 | DRankin 1 | grinder 5 | kwschumm 2 | shortmagnum 1 | StephenR 5 | yooperpete 3 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
joyce1

Just For Fun Off Topic - Too much Snow Too Soon for me
Too much Snow Too Soon for me

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ Chevy V8 Engine Slap
+ GM CEO Rick Wagoner Resigns -- US Govt Presses On
+ On Star talks to me
+ My favorite car Saturn Astra
+ 1997 Oldsmobile 88 LSS won t start
+ GM Dex-Cool Class Action Settlement
+ Hummer Sales Tank - Demise nears

Most Discussion

+ Chevy V8 Engine Slap