discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Generators Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 09-18-1999, 00:00 Post: 8089
Jim Deeny

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster
 PTO Generator

I am deciding whether to buy a 12KW standard diesel generator, a 25KW pto generator. I don't need autotransfer. Anyone have thoughts on these choices. Also I read a message here about hooking up a generator when the power goes out, everyone said to use a genrac. I currently just trip the main breaker(at the house) and plug into my 220v welder outlet(in the shop) to backfeed my circuits. It has always worked fine. The only two things I can see as a problem are forgetting to turn off the main breaker. We have a propane stove, we wouldn't use the electric dryer or any shop equipment but we do have three freezers, two 220v well pumps and other standard house appliances. So am I missing something and just been lucky?

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 09-19-1999, 00:00 Post: 8124
art

PTO Generator

jim does your tractor have enough horsepower to run a 25 kw generator?

09-19-1999, 00:00 Post: 8125
Bart Holden

Filter by User
 PTO Generator

1) A good rule of thumb is that 1KW of power generated requires 2 PTO hp.2) So long as you trip the main (incoming breaker) at your main box, you'll be fine, "backfeeding is a cheap and simple way to hook up.3) I am familiar with 50 amp 220V welder outlets. These are good for only 11KW of load (50A x 220V = 11,000 watts/11kw). Should you have a 100 amp 220V welder outlet, beware that you are good to go with a 22KW generator maximum, with the caveat that that particular circuit is protected by a 100 amp breaker.

09-19-1999, 00:00 Post: 8129
jim

Filter by User
 PTO Generator

yes, JD 3010 diesel puts out about 55hp

09-19-1999, 00:00 Post: 8133
Jim

PTO Generator

Thanks Bart,I was thinking of the 25KW gen. only because of cost. We have two 3/4 well pumps, three 15cuft freezers and refrig, a coal furnace w/hot water(1/6 hp blower plus two recirc pumps, a gas stove, a couple 1000w water heaters in the barn, electric dryer, washing machine and other standard house appliances. I figure if we don't run the dryer and not run the toaster,microwave, coffe pot all at once I would probably be good at 12-13KW. Does that sound close? Also I ran 125' of #2 aluminum cable to the shop last fall, would you know the amount of current that would be good for just in case I want 100 amps?ThanksJimPS. We're not Y2K paranoid its just our farm has out grown our 4KW

09-20-1999, 00:00 Post: 8139
MichaelSnyder

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 PTO Generator

Jim,You & I seem to be tossing around similiar ideas. I think its important to look at how much you would use it, or "expect" to use it. Are you in an area that is out for 2-4 days at a shot, or 2-4 hours? I know you said you didn't need autoxfer, but why not go with it,if you go to a permanant unit? Secondy, it will be hardwired into your box thus eliminating the welder outlet issue or forgetting to unplug something. A PTO unit will be less expensive to purchase & maintain. On the other hand, it will tie up a tractor, and requires you to connect the tractor and PTO combo in the rain or snow or whatever conditions you are having at that time, and it won't be hardwired. I think I'm heading towards the PTO route, mainly because of cost and low freqency of use. Not to mention that I don't have room for a Diesel generator. As far as the KW, Its always good to have a certain margain for expansion and safety. There is nothing worse than saying "I should bought the XYZ unit" because you wanted to save a few bucks. Secondly, it'll cost much more to fill those shoes the second time.

09-20-1999, 00:00 Post: 8146
MichaelSnyder

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 PTO Generator

Jim,I forgot to mention that I've previously posted my favor towards self powered units rather than PTO. Mostly due to portability. Unfortunately, I'm interested in 10-12KW unit, which isn't exactly very easy to throw in the back of a truck. So I might as well go PTO. About your welder outlet, IMHO if you have money for a 25KW generator, you can afford a potential $50 bill for having a simple transfer switch wired into your main panel. Keeps things clean and simple, not to mention safer for the wire and YOU. Thats my 2 cents.

09-21-1999, 00:00 Post: 8163
jim

Filter by User
 PTO Generator

I agree mls. I assume by transfer s/w you mean a manually thrown switch. Here's a question and possible solution to our cost thing. As of yesterday I have conflicting advice(from generator companies) on whether a three phase generator can be used for single phase. One guy says my overall wattage will drop, IE:15kw down to 10kw and single phase will create an unbalanced load which would not be good for the generator, one guy says so get a bigger generator and move your wires around in your panel box to help balance the load. The kicker if it works--three phase generator sets(often including auto-transfer)are available locally. Can get 45kw diesel for $3K, 15kw propane,auto for $1800. So you see I need to get smart on this real quick. I hope this forum doesn't get upset at me for using it on a generator questionVRJim

09-21-1999, 00:00 Post: 8165
Jerri

Filter by User
 PTO Generator

I see everyone has covered the horsepower required to power the generator but what about how you feed the system. You mention using a welding outlet and backfeed through it. What amperage/voltage is this receptacle. I am assuming a 240/120 volt single phase system and guessing the receptacle is about 30 amperes. This will yield a 7.2 kw backfeed so a 12 kw or a 25 kw would be more than you could use. For 12 kw you would need a 50 ampere receptacle and for 25 kw you would need a 150 ampere breaker. Also consider that these are probably 220/1 phase receptacles and do not have a neutral. You will need the neutral for 120 volt loads. Hope I haven't confused the issue.

09-21-1999, 00:00 Post: 8166
Jerri

Filter by User
 PTO Generator

Jim, you can use a three phase generator for single phase loads but as the generator rep/manufacturer said you will have an unbalanced load. To alleviate this will require that you system be reworked somewhat. If you are fortunate enough to have multiple panelboards, the system could be setup for say panel 1 to use phases A and B while panelboard 2 could use phases B and C. Even under this arrangement as you see phase B will likely have a heavier load than phases A and C. To more evenly balance would require three panelboard and setup AB, BC and CA. As you probably notice, it starts to get a bit involved. Hope this helps.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Generators Forum

Thread 8089 Filter by Poster:
art 1 | Bart Holden 2 | Bill 1 | Brent H. 1 | bruce 1 | Jerri 5 | jim 4 | Jim Deeny 1 | Mark 1 | MichaelSnyder 3 | Roger L. 1 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
DennisCTB

Subaru - 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek vs CRV and RAV4 Review
2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek vs CRV and RAV4 Review

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ 3 Pt PTO generators
+ Generator set up ideas wanted
+ PTO Generators Observations
+ PTO driven vs Gas engine
+ Best Portable Generator 7500W Review
+ PTO Horsepower and Generator Question
+ I love my Generator
+ Features to look for in stand alone generator
+ building budget auto-backup system