discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Lawn, Turf, and Grass Forum

Page [ 1 ] |
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 06-08-2004, 15:44 Post: 88070
drcjv.

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Help with uneven grass

I have a JD G100 garden tractor that I mow with it has a 54" deck with three blades. It is not cutting the lawn evenly especially when I go around a turn It seems to gauge on the outside. I have had the JD service guy out twice but it still does it. He says he leveled the deck and checked for bent spindles and everyting is ok. I'm at a loss for whats causing the problem. He mentioned the guide wheels could be too low but they are in the highest position. Any help or ideas would be much appreciated.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 06-08-2004, 16:42 Post: 88072
yooperpete

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 Help with uneven grass

There are (2) basic ways to set up a mower. 1) To have the contact wheels engaged on the mowing surface (running on the ground at all times) which also sets mowing height. 2) the gauge/contact wheels are just set slightly above (1/4-1/2"Wink yeah right the (dirt) surface coming in contact with only the blades of grass when set to the proper height.

If you are operating in condition #1 set the gauge wheels at the same height (Right,Left, Front & Back)for the desired grass length. There are no further adjustments that can be made for leveling. Most JD's advise you to setup to run for condition #2. I generally have mine set up in condition #1 because of real uneven terrain with renters and their kids mowing. It stops them from scalping the lawn and knicking up my blades since I set it high.

If you are operating in condition #2, put the mower on a flat piece of concrete and lower it such that the gauge wheels are not in contact and put it to your desired height. Measure the blade height from concrete to bottom of blade tip while reaching through the side discharge chute. This measurement should be taken directly in line with the spindles. (If looking down on the blades from the top, the blade position would be at 3 o'clock. Cut a wood block of that height and lift the deck by hand not to disturb your lever settings and place the wood block underneath the left blade at its outer edge. This would be at the 9 o'clock position on the left blade. These two heights should be reasonably the same. You should be able to reach underneath and feel the height. If not, one of the lift arms usually the left side has a threaded connector like a turnbuckle. Usually you need to pull a hitch pin and disconnect from the lift mechanism and spin this "L" shaped threaded rod around to raise or lower. Each rotation of this will raise or lower by the amount of the thread pitch, lets say 1/16 of an inch. You will need to make several adjustments to get it right if the JD guy didn't do his job. You will find that if you raise and lower the left side, the right side will also move. You will need to remeasure every time you adjust on both sides.

Make sure your tires are inflated to the same pressure on right and left side. I'd suggest slowing down around corners since that is where you say you are having problems. Because of the size of mower it may be swaying as you turn. You may want to push down on the right side and see if the deck has allot of sway in it. If so, maybe something is loose or out of adjustment. You should also inspect the height of the blades from front to back. (ie 12 o'clock vs: 6 o'clock) Usually the front is just slightly lower, such that it does the mowing rather than the blade cutting in the full 360 rotation path. If it has allot of dip, it could cause varying heights through corners. Not all mowers have adjustments for front to back.

Try this out and look for improvement. The G100 Series is a nice tractor at entry level which replaces the Sabre models. Either way it should cut level. I'm assuming it is new or just slightly used.

06-08-2004, 17:32 Post: 88080
kwschumm

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 Help with uneven grass

That's about as comprehensive an answer as I've ever read here. Good job Yooperpete!

06-10-2004, 06:17 Post: 88226
drcjv.

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Help with uneven grass

I agree great answer yooperpete. Turns out the gauge wheels were too high. I am just disappointed that with two trips to my house the JD service guy could not figure it out. Thanks again.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] |

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Lawn, Turf, and Grass Forum

Thread 88070 Filter by Poster:
drcjv. 2 | kwschumm 1 | yooperpete 1 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
brewdog

Site Members - brewdog - NW PA - NH 3040  Woods Hoe  Woods Mower  Woods Brush Hog
brewdog - NW PA - NH 3040 Woods Hoe Woods Mower Woods Brush Hog

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ Poison Ivy
+ Pocket Gophers Gone Wild
+ two stroke on straght gas
+ The Plus and Minus of Ignoring Your Lawn
+ Installing Drainage Pipe for Lawn
+ New Garden Tractor
+ What zero turn radius to buy
+ Ever use urea
+ MowProducts com