discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Trailers Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 04-08-2006, 12:08 Post: 127411
drbandson

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 dump trailers

I am in the market for a dump trailer. I see texas pride trailer on ebay 7' x 16' 14,000# capacity.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/06-new-7x16-hydr-dump-trailer-14k-GVWR_W0QQitemZ4626876314QQcategoryZ66470QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
does any one know of this trailer and how much truck would i need to pull it loaded with a L 48 with bucket and hoe attached. I currently have 2002 F250 supercab single axel and triton V8 with a max trailer weight of 7700#. Iwould be towing within 10 miles of my home.

The reason for the dump trailer is for my constructin debris. I am currently loading the debri in my yard and when enough adds up, I rent a 30 yard dumpster (container) and load with my L48. I called the dumpster company to try to get them to leave a 30 yard dumpster but they said I would have to fill it every 10 days. I probably only average about 1 every 1 1/2 months. they told me to buy one and they would dump it. the cost for a 30 yard container is around $4500.
Any and all ideas would be appreiciated, I need a better method than a garbage pile it wont look to good when I finish with the pool and backyard.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 04-08-2006, 16:53 Post: 127419
oneace

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 dump trailers

Try another trash hauler. The company I work for there is no time limit you just call when it is full and they will come pick it up. Where are you located? My company is nation wide (all 50 states and Porton Rico) and in Canada. I can check to see if they service your area.

04-08-2006, 17:01 Post: 127421
drbandson

Filter by User
 dump trailers

I am in Long Island NY and have talked to atleast 3 local carting companies and they all said 1.5 months was to long, 2 weeks seems to be the amount of time they want to leave a dumpster.

04-09-2006, 17:46 Post: 127446
earthwrks

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 dump trailers

I'm down here in Miss. cleaning up the hurricane mess. Nearly everyone pulling a dump trailer seems like they are made in the state of Texas. They range from fair to very good quality. Some of these boys have nearly doubled the capacity by adding higher sides since they get paid very little per yard ($2-5 per yard). One thing they all have in common: they aren't made to haul and dump heavy loads. It's not uncommon to see a 6x6 or 8x8 under the front of the bed between the frame. The first 6-8" is very hard on the lifting mechanism. The types that use a mechanical linkage versus a straight line lift are much better and quicker to dump. Also be sure you do not get a narrow-stance trailer with the axles and wheels tucked under the body---that's a good indication of weak axles which are prone to bending, and are easier to tip sideways when dumping and don't trail behind easily. Brimar brand is usually the one that uses straight line lift and they are effectively useless under heavy load. My 5yd dump trailer which was made in Canada is rated at 12,500 GVW and has the mech. lift on it has never let me down---I've had at least 15,000 of wet sand and concrete in it. Also, a higher bed height is much better for effective dumping---though this requires longer ramps---but that can be overcome by simply raising the bed about a foot which lowers the front of the ramp and decreases the approach and greatly reduces break-over clearance/angle which is critical when hauling a tractor with a belly mower. The other consideration is a backhoe. You should take you backhoe to a trailer dealer and load it with the truck attached. Look for tongue weight which should be no more than 10% of the load and trailer, and not exceed the hitch rating. The load should be loaded 60% past the center of the trailer. Length withe backhoe my pose some problems like can you tuck the backhoe sideways to lessen the length or will the hoe have to hang out past the closed traler doors---then there could be safety issue.

As far as your truck goes, you may have mistaken the trailer towing capacity for the GVWR which is what the truck is rated to carry, not tow. The towing capacity seems like it should be much more---closer to 10,000lb. (my diesel Ram 4x4 is rated for about 13,500 towing). Just for clarity the "single axle" notation should be "single wheel", as (most) all pickups are OEM single axle.

04-10-2006, 07:46 Post: 127461
yooperpete

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 dump trailers

I have a narrow dump trailer with the wheels tucked in under the box like Earthworks says you shouldn't have. It has (2) 5,000 pound axles. If you load it way toward the front it won't lift it. If you load stone pretty even but with most over the axles it will lift 5 ton. If you load it toward the rear it will not track good and give you the ride of your life at about 50mph.

A couple of weeks ago at the stone dock a payload operator loaded me heavy at the rear. Everything was going good at about 45-50 mph until I hit a famous Michigan pot hole. She swayed about 45 degrees each way and threw my F250 Super cab all over two lanes of traffic(one was on coming) until I managed to brake it with only the trailer brakes using the manual knob. After that 40 mph for me.

I have an F250 Supercab with triton V-8 but with off-road package giving me an 8,800 tow rating. On level ground the truck pulled the 5 ton of stone plus trailer fine. You can almost see the gas gauge move though.

I chose the narrow style trailer to be able to get into tighter places but also to be higher so it dumps better. I also have a triple axle flat bed to haul my tractor with 3,500 lb. axles. Because of the height of my dump, you cannot even try to load a lawn tractor in it since the ramps would be too steep.

I have 4 ft. tall sides on the dump trailer with a tarp over the top for hauling wood chips, etc. Think I can get about 9 cubic yards in it. Have made the tail gate to split in the middle so bulky stuff slides out.

A flatbed is lower to the ground than the preferred kind of dump trailer that Earthworks described. If you only can afford one trailer that maybe the way to go. A triple axle drags slightly going around corners and skuffs the tires but really tows nice and load placement isn't nearly as critical as a double axle. I rent mine out to the shop here that now also has a fence company. It is used to tow the BobCat along with forks and post hole digger along with some fencing material. They pull all that with a F-350 dually with stake rack and diesel.

04-10-2006, 09:18 Post: 127470
DRankin

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 dump trailers

Watch the weights here. I have a 7000 pound, 6x10 foot, wheels-under the bed type dumper too. It weighs 2000+ pounds empty.

The bigger dumpers can easily go 3000-3500+ pounds empty, especially if you get one that is long enough to haul a TLB (14+ feet).

I tried this exercise last year, combining a dump trailer with a a tractor hauler and couldn't make the numbers balance.... at least not with my present truck.

It was far cheaper for me to have two trailers (a flat bed and a dump) than to buy a serious gas guzzling one ton 4x4 truck and try to get by with one combined-use trailer.

04-10-2006, 16:19 Post: 127508
oneace

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 dump trailers

Earthworks.

Depending on what model Bri Mar you get determines how it lifts. I would by one of the higher end models but not the cheap one. (By the way I used to sell them and they are also made in my back yard so I am biased). Compared to the Rascal that is also common around here Bri mar beats them hands down.

04-10-2006, 18:18 Post: 127513
earthwrks

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 dump trailers

I hope the ones I've seen aren't the higher end ones! Laughing out loud

04-10-2006, 20:03 Post: 127515
drbandson

Filter by User
 dump trailers

Thank you all for the informative responses. In suffolk county NY. the going dump fee is $80 ton. The carting co. charges 250 haul fee plus $80 a ton so my 30 yard dumpsters cost me $1000 to $1200.
Earthwrks I also notice most trailers come from Texas, but cannot imagine getting only $5 a yard to cart debris. I currently charge about $12,000 to redo a standard 5' x 9' bathroom in NYC and the client pays for the tile and fixtures!! I would like to know the dimensions of your dump trailer.
Yooperpete what are the dimensions of your dump.
Onace your probably right IF the tractor weighs about 7700# and trailer weighs 3500# I will need a bigger truck, I can"t really justify that expense.
I have to figure something out soon cause the garbage pile kinda annoys my wife and kids.

04-10-2006, 20:14 Post: 127516
drbandson

Filter by User
 dump trailers

Sorry this reply was to DRankin, not to good at typing and when I went back to look who responded my post got deleted so I went off memory and posted it wrong.
Again thanks to all for responding, usally I just surf thuis site to find info, but it is great to get responces to questions from people who know and have been through similar situations.
DRankin your probably right IF the tractor weighs about 7700# and trailer weighs 3500# I will need a bigger truck, I can"t really justify that expense.
I have to figure something out soon cause the garbage pile kinda annoys my wife and kids.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Trailers Forum

Thread 127411 Filter by Poster:
12251hd 1 | DRankin 1 | drbandson 4 | earthwrks 4 | oneace 2 | yooperpete 2 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
DennisCTB

Techniques Howto - Have you seen the woodburning pickup on Mountain Men
Have you seen the woodburning pickup on Mountain Men

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ Trailer comes off at 75mph
+ Can Jeep Cherokee Pull My Tractor
+ Used Trailers
+ U-Haul Auto Transport Trailer for CUT
+ Bouncy Trailer
+ Question on axles
+ Auto trailer hoist combo idea Nuts
+ Adding hydraulics to dump trailer
+ Truck VS Trailer