discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Trailers Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 11-10-2002, 06:54 Post: 44813
pdavepennell

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Choosing the right trailer HELP

I am just north of Detroit. I am considering a JD 4410 that I will use on a recreation property only, This is about 325 miles north of me, approx. 5 hours each way, I would make this trip on average once a month 8 months of the year. The tractor weighs 3,000 # FEL 1,000 # Acessories 1,000 #. I would like to get a regular hitch 7,000 GVWR trailer. I have NEVER pulled anything like this before. I do have a 2002 GMC 3/4 ton duramax, so I am not worried about pulling the weight. When I arrive I have a three mile drive down a very good woods road. I do not want to go to a 10,000 # trailer or a gooseneck. Any input on brand, dealers, websites, brakes or general towing experience will be greatly appreciated, thanx, Dave

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 11-10-2002, 08:20 Post: 44817
Peters

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

I have a 16ft equipment trailer. I had a F150 with trailer package and it handled the load quite well. These trailer can be purchased around $1500. Make sure that they have new trailer tires. It is not useful to have a trailer capable 7000# and the tire not load rated. Brakes!!!
If you are doing this regularly and down a tight road I guess I would recommend the same trailer with a goose neck. This arrangement can be purchased new for about double the price of the bumper pull.
Your other option is to get near the cottage, unload the tractor, drop the trailer and then move it around with the tractor.
I am thinking of selling my tractor, 955 with FEL. I could deliver with trailer for 14K.

11-10-2002, 18:29 Post: 44835
dsg

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

I would go with a 4 ton GVW trailer. Think in the future, by the time you load the tractor, FEL, MAYBE A #48 hoe at 1500 #, chains&binders (100#) Toolbox that you have welded or bolted on the tongue (1-200#), spare tire, you will have 62-6300#'s and the trailer w's 1500-1800# you have at least 8000#. I've been there done that when I had the JD755 and then I UP GRADED to a 4700 and now have a 6 ton GVW deck-over trailer.

David

11-10-2002, 18:50 Post: 44836
Jess
2002-11-10 00:00:00

You mentioned that you prefer not to go to a gooseneck. Why? There is a day & night difference in a gooseneck verses a bumper pull. The stability and handling is so much better with a gooseneck, not to mention the safety aspect. Your pickup is good enough for the job, and putting a ball in the box will not degrade it's value. I highly recomend it.

11-10-2002, 19:21 Post: 44842
Dana Trumpp

You have appox 5000lbs for equipment and a 7K trailer should be close to 2000lbs empty. so your trailer will be grossed out. I had a 7K 18'dove tail and bent the fram by hauling too much weight, it WAS a good trailer ( had double 5" channel frame). I would suggest a 20+2' dovetail lowboy GN for the trips ahead. a heavyer trailer than you need will last a loooong time. Last spring I got a H&H 20+2 GN with 14K axles for $3250, not bad for a 10 year frame warrinty

11-11-2002, 13:56 Post: 44881
ccbbc

I don't know where your property is located, but that sounds like a lot of hauling on a regular basis if you're not going to be using the tractor in southern Michigan. Why not go with the 7000lb trailer and find a storage facility nearby or an equipment yard where you could park it until you need it. A lot less hauling and if need be, you could store your implements there and just take what you need to the work site when you're ready.

11-11-2002, 14:48 Post: 44884
pdavepennell

Filter by User

Thanx for the input, I do not want to go with a gooseneck for many reasons not the least of which is the cost. I also have a hard custom painted bed cover which I do not intend to remove for towing. I do not want to get over a 16' trailer but I may go to a 16' with a 2' dovetail. That is as big as I want to go as I have to travel down three miles of woods trails. I have considered leaving it there but it really makes little sense to me to spend over $20,000 on a tractor and then leave it sit outside, My proprty is gated inside of a 31,000 acre tract that is gated as well so security is a minimal issue Vs. the weather. I am looking into the possability of a temporary vinyl quanset style garage. Does anyone have any trailer brand or dealer recommendations ? Thanx, Dave

11-11-2002, 22:28 Post: 44900
dually

You have a killer truck ( 3/4 ton Duramax) Mines a 3500 4x4 LT crew cab. I have two duramaxs. As for towing, I have bumperpull & gooseneck trailers. The gooseneck is SUPER. I also have a JD4400 fel, 48hoe. All my trailers now have 2 7k axels w/16 inch D or E load range tires. When I bought my first trailer w/2 3500lb axels 12 years ago. I usually only had 3,000 lb loads or less. when you hit a curb when turning in town, or a pot hole on the highway too much weight is on the impacted wheel, not just 1/4 of the total weight. Bottom line, I replaced bent axles and poped 15 inch tires. Since I went with bigger axles and tires, I've had no problems and saved lots of money and time. Pay up front for heavier equipment, or pay for repairs and down time later. I personally can't afford repairs and down time.

11-15-2002, 09:34 Post: 45018
PJ Drew
2002-11-15 00:00:00

Dave,
I would highly suggest at minimum a 10,000lb trailer. If you are pulling 325 miles one way. 5k plus 2-3k for the trailer puts you in the market for at least that much trailer. I would NEVER max out on my Gross Weight for other than a few miles. Long distances like your talking requires a bigger trailer. You have the truck to pull it and you will reduce your risk of accidents and damage to trailer greatly. There are lots of regional trailer manufacturers around here (MN) and many are good. Most you can order trailer exactly as you want, size, axles etc.PJ

11-20-2002, 07:30 Post: 45209
Art White

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Look at the 4 ton trailers for a little bigger tire and frame work. You are getting close to the limit on a 7000 lb trailer and as much as I don't mind loading something it will make that trip a lot longer if your trailer doesn't pull right. Watch for the 16' with a 2' beaver tail as they often are close to the ground on the rear and depending on hills and terain it might drag. I don't see any need to be bigger than the 4 ton capacity and it will brige the gap between just enough which would be fine for local vs the trips needed. If you have a bush-hog the extra 2' will help hide that. Donot get a mesh tailgate as the wind resistance will kill a good truck or at least it's fuel economy at 65 to 70.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Trailers Forum

Thread 44813 Filter by Poster:
Art White 1 | bobcat man 1 | ccbbc 1 | CharlieR 1 | Dana Trumpp 1 | dsg 1 | dually 1 | Jess 1 | pdavepennell 2 | Peters 1 | PJ Drew 1 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
dododo

Toyota Cars - New Toyota No Oil Filter Cartridge
New Toyota No Oil Filter Cartridge

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ Trailer comes off at 75mph
+ Can Jeep Cherokee Pull My Tractor
+ Used Trailers
+ U-Haul Auto Transport Trailer for CUT
+ Bouncy Trailer
+ Question on axles
+ Auto trailer hoist combo idea Nuts
+ Adding hydraulics to dump trailer
+ Truck VS Trailer