discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Dodge Pickup Trucks Forum

Page 1 | 2 | [ 3 ] |      << Prev

07-29-2005, 21:57 Post: 114112
denwood

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Anyone have leaky dodge cummins

Having to get out and lock hubs is one thing I really hate. There are those times when you really don't want to or should not get out. They had really nice systems back in the 70s, full time 4x4, with a diff in the transfer case. My W300 had Dana 60 front, no lock outs, no bs, but they wanted to add a mile per gallon so lock outs came in and ease of use went out. I plowed a lot of snow with the full time and never had to lock the transfer case to 4 lock. Locking hubs is a PITA and all the makers know it, ford had those rotten auto lockersin the 90s just like chevy in the 80s, would break often or stick. Now ford has the auto or manual things, I kind of like that idea if they are better than the late 90s models.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 07-30-2005, 05:27 Post: 114114
earthwrks

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

MURF: I don't agree about 2000 and newer having problems--this is my 3rd Ram and the '03 is by far the best one I've had. My '95 on the other hand was so bad Chyrlser bought it back; my '99 was a a litlle better but not much.

AV8R: You might be thinking of 1/2 tons becuase my 3/4's have pressed-in bearings. And the weight on either doesn't ride on the axle shaft, it rides on the rotor/hub; the axles go along for the ride just like in a front wheel drive car. In fact there is no weight on the axle as there is a u-joint.

AV8R: My dealer's parts guy says the '06 truck frames will be new along with a host of other things. I challenged him on it but he stood firm.

I have talked to Ford guys with 1 tons and they have the same problems with the front ends when used for snow plowing. I use a Boss v-plow which is severl hundred lb. over the allowable GVWCR for the front axle, and the diesel engine weighs almost 1000lb. more than a similar gas engined Ram so the problems are built-in from the get-go.

08-01-2005, 09:55 Post: 114181
Murf

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

We run 8.5' & 9.5' Western V-plows, depending on single or dual rear end, on the Fords we have, no front end problems yet, including one 1999 that is still going strong with nearly 200k miles on it, plowed and worked since new.

Best of luck.

08-01-2005, 12:22 Post: 114186
AV8R

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Earth: You are correct, I stand in error. The fronts are just like a FWD car. However, the design is FAR inferior to the older tapered roller bearing on a hub type of front end.

The front bearings are horribly expensive and are even more horrible to r/r (compared to the lock-out style front end.

Denwood: I would MUCH rather have lockouts than the CAD front on my truck (and so would most others I've talked to). The old NP203 full time transfer case was stout to be sure, but it sucked gas like a monster! The trick with lockouts was to engage them before you got into trouble, then unlock for on the dry road. Not a big deal to me. It is a big deal when you loose a tiny vacuume line and cannot have 4WD from the CAD, or in the case of Chevy's bi-metalic strip the 4WD won't engage when its too cold out.

08-01-2005, 14:02 Post: 114192
denwood

Filter by User

Precisely the reason I refused to have that automatic transfer case mom clever knob on my dash. I too would rather have direct linkage between my hand and the mechanism I want operated. Unfortunately even the fuel pedal is no longer connected to anything, I do not think the auto tranny shifter is even connected anymore, just like the JD 4310,4410 etc with the hydro pedals. Just electronics, the first most likely thing to fail. I don't really like the vacuum system either. AMC used it on the Eagle cars in the 80s and the lines could fall off sometimes. Don't they make a kit to change the cad to manual cable pull. I know chevy was so bad someone came out with a kit for them. I have lived with lock outs for a long time, 4 dodges, 1 toyota, the Fuso, it has always been a pain. I hate pulling out stopping on the side of the road and unlocking or vice versa. I always worried my chevys and amc and mitsu montero would fail me but they never did in that area. Surprised me on the chevys but not the others.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page 1 | 2 | [ 3 ] |      << Prev

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Dodge Pickup Trucks Forum

Thread 112768 Filter by Poster:
AV8R 3 | Chief 2 | denwood 9 | dieselpusher 1 | earthwrks 2 | lucerne 1 | Murf 3 | oneace 1 | StephenR 1 | tractorbrad 1 | wr5evk8jj 1 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
rockingo

Site Members - rockingo - Caddo -
rockingo - Caddo -

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ What Kind of Fuel Milage Are You Getting From Your
+ Dodge Duramax
+ 5 7 hemi gas mileage
+ replacement tires
+ Differential Lockers and Limitied Slip Units
+ Anyone have leaky dodge cummins
+ 3 73 vs 4 10
+ What exactly is a HEMI
+ synthetic oil