discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Dodge Pickup Trucks Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 06-25-2005, 21:18 Post: 112768
denwood

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Anyone have leaky dodge cummins

I have been shopping for another dodge cummins for several months now. I have looked at all for sale in 50 mile radius with reasonable miles. So far, 16 trucks I have gone to see, all 2500 slt 4x4 long bed, loaded, 2000 to 2004 with 12000 to 84000 miles. Not one has been acceptable. These things are leaking junk. Friday I had a bank check in hand for $29000 to buy a 2004 quad slt 4x4 with 12000 miles. I realize it was under warranty but the undercarriage was so covered with oil, you could not touch anything without a thick coating even the exhaust. Dealer said it was power steering that had been fixed, just never cleaned. Other issues as well, so check went back to bank and he sent truck through Manheim auction and it only reached 28500 so he didn't sell it. Today 2 trucks, just hit the lots at dodge dealers. 2001 with everything and 55,000. Leaking transfer case, oil pan. 2002 with 30,000 miles, leaking transfer, oil pan, power steering pump. Manager said his shop was tough and didn't miss anything. He didn't have much to say when he looked under and saw all the leaks for himself. these trucks were cherry from head to toe until you went under. I have looked at Fords for a comparison and they all have had only a little oil moisture at the bell housing, nowhere else. One Dogde dealer had a 2000 with 55,000. I was ready to leave the house but when I called, he said don't bother coming it just came out of the shop and has so many leaks we cannot afford to fix it so it will go the auction. The dealers seem to have no interest in fixing the leaks under warranty if there is one just to set them on the lot. I was almost to the point of buying new till I saw the 2 2004s. the 1 with 40,000 miles was on its second tranny and was not quite right still. I know the warranty will cover it but I'd be there monthly and that is a hassle. Is there anyone with a totally non leaky truck like this, I mean no moisture anywhere other than a little at the bell housing. Where the hell is toyota with there full size?

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 06-26-2005, 03:17 Post: 112770
Chief

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

denwood, ALL Dodge Cummins pickups have a crank case breather bottle that is supposed to be serviced at each oil change. Most folks are not even aware of this. If it is not properly serviced and cleaned; it will blow residue all over the oil pan and front timing gear cover. Just a chore to look after owning a Cummins. You can get a techical service bulletin applied that will reroute the crank case breather tube applied if you take it to the dealer and tell them that the engine dumps oil on steep slopes. I have over 30,000 miles on my Cummins and she doesn't leak a drop. I put half of a Gym sock rolled up in the crank case breather bottle to absorb the normal blow by but you will still have to wipe off the fan and front timing cover at each oil change. Just part of owning a Cummins. They ALL do this; some more than others. Not the best design, but still the BEST diesel on the market in my opinion.

06-26-2005, 14:48 Post: 112789
denwood

Filter by User

I forgot to add to that post I am well aware of the bottle design flaw, and I am sure it did not cause the leaks I see, although all have had oil mess from that bottle. I am talking about drips of oil hanging off front and rear transfer output, being slung 360 degrees by shaft. Oil running out of the power steering shaft where it meets the engine, a constant supply coming from the oil pan, not just some spillage from oil changes. Another of the trucks I looked at had tranny line leaks and when I got to the dealer, they already had it on the lift to fix them. this was not a dodge dealer, VW and it was the managers personal vehicle. A/c also dumped and they found the evaporator in the cab had gone bad. That made number 2 with bad A/c when I got to the dealer. I had and 89 and a 93 cummins no problems, dad has a 97, only the most minor of problems. I just wonder if I am looking for the holy grail, wife is tired of going on goose chases and I am now worrying about new, maybe I should just settle for a tweener truck. tween now and when Toyota makes a diesel fullsize. I am getting close to just saying the heck with it I don't need a $20-34,000 problem. Ford all but out, chevy isn't even in the ball game.

06-27-2005, 16:54 Post: 112838
oneace

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Are you looking at 12V, 24V, or both? I have a 2003 Power Stroke and love it. Buddy of mine has a 2004 Cummins(24V) and it is not bad but very high maintenance and I could pull him all over the parking lot.

06-27-2005, 19:30 Post: 112840
denwood

Filter by User

Trucks are kind of like tractors, I could love almost any kind if it is good to me. I was looking at the newer dodges. A friend stopped to see me today I asked if he got a new truck since I didn't recognize it. It was a loaner from the dealer. His 2003 Ford 6.0 dually with 37,000 miles was in the shop for the 8th time. Erradic idle tons of black smoke, won't accelerate poor milage, and to boot the A/C compressor went out. Dealer has already put new injectors, now they say it is a pcv valve. They found metal bits in the A/c so whole system has to be flushed and comp replaced. He still loves fords but is ready to get the lemon law into action. Same story from my chevy buddies just different problems.

06-28-2005, 06:15 Post: 112852
wr5evk8jj

TP Contributor

denwood -- Toyota does make diesels, and they are great. So far, it appears that they choose to market them in their non-US markets. The absolutely best vehicle that I have ever had was our 2002 Toyota Landcruiser GXL Turbo Diesel in Australia prior to relocating to the US late last year (2004). I really did look into bringing back, having it converted to left-hand drive, and all. It's just that Toyota-US does not support it and I was worried about service in the long-run. There's a picture of it in my pictures, the 3rd one. That particular vehicle replaced a 1998 Toyota Landcruiser GXL with the 6 cyl petrol engine (4500cc) which replaced a 1993 model (80 series, again with a 4500cc petrol engine). The 4200cc turbo diesel was stronger, far quieter and smoother; even my wife noticed the difference. The diesel also got just about twice the range per liter of fuel when compared to the petrol engine. I could push to 800 km on 150 liters of diesel (95 ltr main and 45 ltr sub tanks) on bitumen (pavement) compared to about 500 or so with the petrol. In-town driving was to fill-up every 2 weeks with the diesel when compared to every week with the petrol, and the price of diesel and petrol was essentially the same. Never was there even the hint of a leak; the only "wet looking dust" that I saw was around the oil drain following a service. There was also larger displacement diesels there from Mitsubishi, Hino, Volvo, and others. When outside of the metropolitan areas or even the town there, diesel-engined vehicles seemed to be those that were preferred. In the larger vehicles, those that would be a step up in size from the small "utes" (utility) or pickups, diesel was about the only ones that one saw. All that I can figure out so far is the market here in the US continues the reliance on gas, or petrol, shunning diesel; sort of a tradition. I really wanted another diesel when returning back here late last year, but settled for another gas-engined Toyota since I could not find anything that I really "fell in love with." And I did look at Ford, GM, and a few others. Although this did not address the thread of the forum, it was a parallel thought to it.

06-28-2005, 14:19 Post: 112871
StephenR

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

A Toyota salesman told me last year that Toyota was going to start selling full size trucks here this year. Oh well, guess you can't believe a salesman, imagine that. ;^) With all these horror stories, I'm holding on to my '92 pickup until they do.

06-30-2005, 13:05 Post: 112958
denwood

Filter by User

Well I pulled the trigger for a new one, 05 cummins quad slt 4x4 8' bed etc. etc. First new American vehicle in 10 years. I hope it behaves. Also realized I have had my 1993 toyota pickup for 4.5 years, longest I have owned any vehicle. 152,000 miles and never in shop for other than wear/consumable items andd I never babied it.

06-30-2005, 13:14 Post: 112959
Chief

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Did you order the "Mega Cab"? I wish I had that much room in my Dodge. Did you order it with the 6 speed manual? I will be looking forward to some reviews after you have owned it for awhile as well as your new owner intial review. If it is anything like my Dodge Cummins; I am sure you will be VERY happy with it. I know you are gonna LOVE the 325 hp & 625 ft/lbs. of power available to your right foot! ;O)

06-30-2005, 21:27 Post: 112973
denwood

Filter by User

No mega cab, that is for 06s and I don't think they will be here for a few more months, dealer said october or so. I really don't need that much room yet and with a long bed if they even offer it with that would be really huge. I went with the automatic since it was the newer 48re '4' speed, '8'00 pounds of torque, 'R'ear wheel drive, 'E'lectric control. I too enjoy the manuals but around here, the folks are overpopulating and traffic gets terrible if we head 45 minutes in any direction. That much stop and go lets me sympathize with road ragers and a clutch makes it worse. The auto also lets me squeeze out the a holes that want to jam their car in the single car length between you and the next car better. I did test drive one of the 610s last week and while I just didn't feel right letting is completely loose while the engine is so un broken in, I let it rip a little. Very impressed. The HP of this diesel is 75 more than both of my trucks combined. Toyota 125HP gas, Mitsubishi Fuso 125HP diesel. I think my 89 cummins was only 185HP. The only trucks slower than mine are unimogs. Thats about to end! I pick it up tommorow.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Dodge Pickup Trucks Forum

Thread 112768 Filter by Poster:
AV8R 3 | Chief 2 | denwood 9 | dieselpusher 1 | earthwrks 2 | lucerne 1 | Murf 3 | oneace 1 | StephenR 1 | tractorbrad 1 | wr5evk8jj 1 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
DennisCTB

Dogs and other Pets - Funny Critters
Funny Critters

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ What Kind of Fuel Milage Are You Getting From Your
+ Dodge Duramax
+ 5 7 hemi gas mileage
+ replacement tires
+ Differential Lockers and Limitied Slip Units
+ Anyone have leaky dodge cummins
+ 3 73 vs 4 10
+ What exactly is a HEMI
+ synthetic oil