discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Dodge Pickup Trucks Forum

Page 1 | [ 2 ] | 3 | 4 | 5 |      << Prev | Next >>

07-10-2003, 08:09 Post: 59253
Murf

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster
 Has That Thing Got a hemi in it

Doc, congrats on the new rig, I only hope your missus lets you play with a little, Laughing out loud.

I can completely relate to how addictive that right foot induced rumble is, however, I don't like the limited cruise range that 7-10 mpg leaves you with.

I compromised, I chipped and tweaked my Powerstroke, replaced the Garret turbo with a Banks and then added some 4" plumbing behind it, the result, 375 hp, a rumble that makes Hondas cringe and a heck of a kick in the seat of the pants on takeoff, Laughing out loud.

Best of luck.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 07-10-2003, 08:15 Post: 59257
Chief

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Welcome back to the Dodge family Doc! Have you layed any good rubber patches yet??? ;o) We'll gradually get you eased into a Cummins yet.

07-10-2003, 10:40 Post: 59274
Misenplace

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Overall I personally was just not that impressed with the Hemi. The salesman just about pooped his pants when I shrugged my shoulders. The bronco is a 351C with 210 Hp. He tried to tell me the hemi would take the ford by 2 sec in the 1/4 mile. Not a chance. Then he looked at the duramax and realized that I was already used to real power and kinda shut up, which from my perspective is one of the smartest things a salesman can do. Laughing out loud. I believe there is a limiter chip that turns down the HP 15% for the first 500 miles, to prevent the rubber laying with a new engine. When you are rolling and kick it it is impressive, but not so much from a dead stop.

07-11-2003, 08:34 Post: 59331
Art White

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Good luck with your new truck Doc! Will the misses allow you to tune it up a little? Chief, you do have a trailer full behind your truck don't you!

07-11-2003, 08:41 Post: 59333
Misenplace

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Tune it up ? It better not need a tune up for a LONG time ! Laughing out loud. With 345 ponies to drive the boss to and from work I doubt she needs any performance mods. I am going to drive it to our property tomorrow to break it in Smile

07-11-2003, 09:09 Post: 59337
DRankin

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Boat: a hole in the water into which one throws money.

Chief's boat: a really big hole in the water........

07-13-2003, 07:02 Post: 59404
Misenplace

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

We took the Hemi for a long cruise yesterday. The first 500 miles were not breaking 12.4 mpg. After 500 It did seem to have more power and the fuel economy climbed to 13.5 by the time I was at 750 miles. Overall Its very nice. One major complaint which I assume will be consistant with at least all 1500 series Dodges. The front end components leave a LOT to be desired. The upper and lower A frames look like they belong on of those battery operated kids toys. The Rotors are way too small in relation to the wheel size which has me thinking 25k will be max life on the front brakes with the 20" wheels. The major complaint which I personally consider a real safety concern is that at normal highway speed (75 mph) when cornering even a slight corner and hitting even a slight bump the front end equipment is so inadequite for the height of the truck that it feels like the front end is going to collapse. The front wleels actually seem to float or loose controll then grab. It is very disconcerting to say the least. I would not have any difficulty believing that at 85 in the same situation would roll the truck on a normal highway in clear conditions. The hemi will not light em up, but I think that is rather point of the 20" wheels which are massive on a reg cab short bed. The stereo is incredible and I have had some very high end sound systems. I give it five stars for fun factor, 2 for fuel economy and 1 for safety/ride.

07-13-2003, 08:05 Post: 59408
cutter

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Congratulations on the new truck Doc. In my opinion they are the best looking rig in today's market. I test drove the 1500 similar to yours (but not as fancy) prior to purchasing the 2500 in 2002. It had the smaller v8 and seemed to have adequate power for the average Joe, but lest I forget we are not average Joe's here with our boat towing, tractor hauling, gun toting personalties. I too noticed what appeared to be fairly light components in the front end, however I have seen them with heavy plow units and they seem to hold up OK.

I ended up with the 2500 4x4 that was still sporting the previous body style. The new sheet metal came out in October of 2001 for the HD Dodge and I was impressed with the underpinnings and power of that model. If I ever trade again it will be for the HD with a HEMI, but so far I am happy with mine. BTW my 360 Magnum runs about 12.5 for average driving, never check it on a trip but I assume the sticker rating of 14 will be the limit. I have the highway gearing with OD, that was the trade-off for not being able to get limited slip differential according to the dealer. He stated once you plug that into the order it automatically kicked it up to 391 gears as opposed to 355. Perhaps he just wanted to sell what he had on the lot, I don't know. I have a plow on mine and quite honestly can not tell the difference with or without the limited slip once that 600# is over the axle.

I noticed on the Dodge website a few months back a new Viper powered pickup. Sounds exactly like the one you have except the Viper engine was in it. One of the truck magazines ran a test on it and stated the only competition for this truck in power/handling was Corvette and Mustang.

07-13-2003, 09:26 Post: 59414
DRankin

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I know this is a Dodge thread, but I have to jump in here on the gas mileage vs. power issue.

A couple weeks ago I drove up to Seattle to pick up a 5000# 5th wheel travel trailer for my sister. I pulled it home with my Tundra. You might remember the Tundra, it's one that is not a real truck, 7/8s size, underpowered, etc.

I was driving against a time schedule and not operating with economy in mind. Still, it averaged nearly 20 mpg on the way up and 10 to 11 mpg coming back with the trailer in tow.

The thing that really impressed me was climbing Donner Pass on I-80 which tops out at nearly 8000 feet.

Things got a little clogged up near the top and I was forced into high speed, low drag, California grab ass, pedal-to-the-metal traffic in the left lane.

I dropped it into 2nd and topped the pass at 70 mph with some revs and gas pedal left over.

This strikes me as a good balance between performance and economy. Just my two cents.

07-13-2003, 11:41 Post: 59420
Misenplace

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Mark, I know a lot of the assembly on the toy otas are in the USA but in Michigan with a UAW family and all my neighbors who work for the big three and a huge portion of my buisiness from their employess I would probably be shot or hung (maybe both) for driveing a jap truck. I have lived many places and that attitude is not presant else where like it is here. Haveing said that I am still no mopar fan, it was just what the big boss wanted. Its probably not too realistic to expect a 345 hp V8 to Muscle truck to do much better. Not that I wouldn't like better fuel economy and add to the montly tag the fact that it really likes to eat premium. Me, I'll stick with a diesel, I really cant imagine going back to gas.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page 1 | [ 2 ] | 3 | 4 | 5 |      << Prev | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Dodge Pickup Trucks Forum

Thread 58605 Filter by Poster:
Art White 3 | BillMullens 1 | Chief 6 | cutter 4 | DRankin 6 | GJ Archibald 1 | Misenplace 19 | Murf 1 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
DennisCTB

Plumbing - Outside Yard Hydrant water problem
Outside Yard Hydrant water problem

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ What Kind of Fuel Milage Are You Getting From Your
+ 5 7 hemi gas mileage
+ Dodge Duramax
+ replacement tires
+ Differential Lockers and Limitied Slip Units
+ Anyone have leaky dodge cummins
+ 3 73 vs 4 10
+ What exactly is a HEMI
+ synthetic oil