discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Ford Pickup Trucks Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 01-27-2004, 10:30 Post: 75181
shortmagnum

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Diesel truck

This question was prompted by Chief's response to the new Durango post. I am looking for anyone's diesel experience for any brand, not just Ford. I am interested in getting a diesel truck but have never driven a diesel pickup. I drive over 30K miles per year and tow a fair amount (5000-7000 lbs). I figure the cost of the diesel engine (~$4500) would pay for itself in just over 4 years if I compare 15 mpg (gas) to 23 mpg (Chief's Cummins).

To me the cost is almost a wash. After 4 years I would of course be making money with the diesel. What are the driving characteristics of the diesel itself that make it appealing or unappealing?

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 01-27-2004, 10:44 Post: 75184
plots1

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Diesel truck

I bought my first diesel truck this fall and can say that when pullin things there is a big difference in power and milage over a gasser. they don't like the colder weather, but you surely know that from haveing a diesel tractor, milage drops some but is regained as it warms. plus fuel is also cheaper.I'm kinda of a newbee to diesel trucks but I really like my Duramax. these newer diesels have plunty of power and by no means feel like slugs.they flat get busy!

01-27-2004, 11:08 Post: 75189
Chief

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Diesel truck

My preference is for the Dodge. They offer the most hp, torque, and towing capactity of ANY pickup on the market currently. The Cummins also gives you the torque way down low (1600 rpm) lower than the others in the useable rpm range. I like the styling but I have a big gripe with the "so called" quad cab. Ford and GM offer a MUCH larger full and genuine crew cab which is what I wish Dodge would offer. The Cummins diesel was voted one of the 10 best engines this year and is by far the most established and reliable of big 3. The 48RE automatic transmission Dodge is offering is still developing a track record and I would not recommend a diesel pickup with an automatic transmission. None of them stand up to the wear and tear in the long run and it also precludes the use of an exhaust brake which makes towing so much more pleasant and saves on brakes. Dodge currently is the only manufacturer that offers and will warrant the Jacobs Exhaust brake. HIGHLY RECOMMENED! Ford may end up discontinuing the 6.0 Power Stroke due to so many problems and customer complaints. They may get the problems worked out but for now, I would not recommend one. The Cummins is designed to go 400,000 miles without a rebuild and this is not an exaggerated claim. MANY have gone this far and farther. I would suggest you follow these websites to get a feel for owner satisfaction and getting more info.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/

http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/duramax6600.htm

http://www.thedieselstop.com/

They should be able to give you a flavor for each brand of truck and diesel engine.

01-27-2004, 11:41 Post: 75194
wallac

Diesel truck

I don't have a brand name preference, I shopped for price I have owned them all but what I will say is my last purchase of a 2002 F350 powerstroke, It was an awsome purchase until Sunday when the motor let loose at 25,000 miles while I was making a very important delivery!! It is at the dealership right now, as soon as I find out what happen I will fill everyone on it!!

01-27-2004, 11:48 Post: 75196
F350Lawman

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Diesel truck

I don't dispute that the Ford PSD 6.0 has had it's problems but it is still the most powerful diesel available in a pickup. I know the Dodge makes very good power at a low 1400 rpms but the Fords power is also at a very useable 1800rpms. I have 4.10 gears and the useable torque at 1800 rpms comes up pretty darn quick. The max HP on all these trucks is probably going to come on when you are very near the redline on any of these vehicles.

Here are the stats:

Ford PSD 6.0 litre- 325 hp at 3300 rpm 560lbs. of torque at 1800 rpm

Dodge Cummins HO- 305 hp at 2900 rpm 555 lb-ft torque at 1400 rpm

GM Duramax- 300 hp at 3100 rpm 520 lbs. of torque at 1800 rpm

I've got the best of BOTH world's... large comfortable Ford CC but the old reliable 7.3 liter PowerStroke Smile Smile

Actually despite the 6.0's growing pains, I tnink the vast majoruty of 6.0 owners are happy. The doesn't suggegs however thta Ford rushed this engine to market too soon. I have to think many of the problems were with the first year of the engines production. One would hope subsequent runs are better. I think all of the BIG 3 put out a great HD truck these days.

You can read about the comparison under the PSD 6.0 link o this page:

Link:   Diesel Comparison 

01-27-2004, 12:00 Post: 75198
Chief

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Diesel truck

Scott, Dodge and Cummins have made some changes for 2004. If Ford would offer the Caterpillar 3126B and NV5600 6 or 7 speed. I would be there with ya drivin' a Ford! I bought the Dodge mostly for the Cummins and drive train. Ford by far has the best interior in my opinion.

Link:   Dodge unveils 2004 1/2 Ram Heavy Duty Cummins 600 pickup 

01-27-2004, 12:16 Post: 75200
Chief

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Diesel truck

another article.

Link:   Pickup truck diesel competition just keeps getting better. 

01-27-2004, 12:18 Post: 75201
kwschumm

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 Diesel truck

Which of the big-3 HD trucks have turbochargers? How many miles can you get on a turbocharger between rebuilds today? My experience with turbochargers is not good - the one I installed on my old VW cooked the bearings every 20k miles. I imagine that today they circulate oil through the turbo for awhile after the engine is off.

01-27-2004, 12:19 Post: 75202
F350Lawman

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Diesel truck

I know Chief and that new motor sounds good. According to the Cummins site and Dodge the aren't available yet. I could be wrong but I don't think any of us can go get this new motor yet. As your link said, it's scheduled as a 2004 1/2 much like Ford and others have done with mid year releases. We have yyte to see how/if Ford and GM will answer by turning up their motors. Seems likely based on the way these pick-up wars are going.

Remember the TB Bucaneers are still the reigning Super Bowl champs, I think Ford is still the power king...at least right now as we speak Smile

Anyway you and I can save 45K, drop a chip and exhaust in our trucks and still take these guys Wink yeah right

01-27-2004, 12:33 Post: 75204
yooperpete

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 Diesel truck

All of the big three sell a good product and all have had growing pains. I have a super duty with the gas V-8. I don't pull that often so it seems to be a trade off. I get about 14-15mpg highway and about 10-11 when pulling 8800-10,000 lbs on flat ground. My farmer friends have had them all and keep rotating after they keep breaking things. I went with the gas so I don't break stuff. The super duties prior to the 6.0 diesel, yield about 19-21 highway and about 14-16 when hauling. Highway mileage drops significantly when driving over 70 mph. All of these trucks have enough power to rip out the front ends, rear ends & transmissions if you work at it. I've never heard of a diesel going bad at 25,000 miles. GM has had some earlier problems with the gas model trucks but have corrected this. I've heard of Dodge's problems with the automatic transmission but have spoken with people that haul heavy loads all of the time and have had no problem. I think many of them are isolated instances.

I think it is a matter of choice and I'm grateful that no one is considering a product outside of the big three.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Ford Pickup Trucks Forum

Thread 75181 Filter by Poster:
Chief 7 | F350Lawman 3 | kwschumm 1 | plots1 2 | shortmagnum 2 | wallac 1 | yooperpete 1 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
05Gator

John Deere Gator - Fuel Tank
Fuel Tank

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ ford versus chevy
+ Ford ranger chassis problems
+ F-250 6 0 Turbo Diesel
+ Worst Puchase Ever 2004 Ford F150
+ 7 3 powerstroke oil pan rusted through
+ Looking to buy a New Pickup Truck
+ My oppinion on my new 2002 f250 4x4
+ Ford Brakes Breaks
+ Big Brother right around the corner