discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Just For Fun Off Topic Forum

Page 1 | [ 2 ] | 3 |      << Prev | Next >>

11-19-2004, 12:45 Post: 100570
beagle

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster
 CRAFTSMAN Tools

I would like to start a "Made in the USA" megastore, but not sure I could find enough product to stock the shelves, or enough customers to fill the aisles.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 11-20-2004, 10:49 Post: 100614
Iowafun

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 CRAFTSMAN Tools

Know what ya mean Beagle. The local UAW is all about shouting about keeping jobs in the US. It's hard to take them serious when their foreign made cars are in the Wal-Mart parking lot with their "Solidarity Forever" stickers and their shopping carts are full of Chinese made goods.

11-20-2004, 11:54 Post: 100616
harvey

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 CRAFTSMAN Tools

Iowafun: YOU NAILED THAT LID DOWN PURTY GOOD! The vast majority of union members are only there for the pay check and to see how loud they can whine when they loose a benifit.

GO FIGURE!!!

11-20-2004, 14:51 Post: 100621
kubotachick

Filter by User
 CRAFTSMAN Tools

come on now, no need to rip on the unions...i mean, its great if you're in one (or married to someone who is) but i'm not to sure about all these wal mart and grocery store unions, i think it should be limited to just the trades, ie:plumbing, electricians (plus the local ibew really knows how to party)

11-20-2004, 15:44 Post: 100628
grinder

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 CRAFTSMAN Tools

A little tool info.

Link:   Click Here 

11-22-2004, 12:44 Post: 100723
Iowafun

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 CRAFTSMAN Tools

KubotaChick, the unions certainly had their place in history and really have done much for improving the quality of life for workers and their work conditions. The sad reality is they've gotten out of control and are now costing their members jobs.

Local factory has to keep an extra 50 workers on staff because absenteism runs around 10% which is 5x that of typical non-union plants. Great for the workers, but the they whine when jobs get shifted to Mexico or China to get costs under control. How hard is it to just show up for work?

Anybody can watch a small minority of the Union workers walk across the street to drink their lunch from a brown paper bag. An activity that would never be allowed in a non-union plant or a mexican plant or a chinese plant. It's only a small minority that do it, but it makes them all look bad. Hard to show off your plant to visiting customers and say how great it is when they look out the window and see that going on.

To me, it's just sad. There is so much that could be done to keep factories here and jobs here if it weren't for union rules. Heck, just policing their own employees in regards to absenteism and alcohol would be a big improvement. Kind of hard to focus on quality after chugging a 40 oz for lunch. Anyone who's watched plant management struggle to find bodies to keep all the production lines running because people decided not to show up for work knows what I'm talking about.

11-23-2004, 07:03 Post: 100785
kubotaguy

CRAFTSMAN Tools

I bought a set of Craftsman wrenches a couple of years back and it clearly stated "Made in China".
On another note, I'm curious to see how this affects Lands End which Sears bought earlier. I just can't picture K-Mart selling a Lands End Jacket.
And as far as Unions they are pretty much a joke now days. My uncle was in the painter's union and they have screwed him over so many times its not funny. When he retired, they jacked his insurance way up. Unions had their time and place and it is not now.

11-23-2004, 09:08 Post: 100791
DRankin

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 CRAFTSMAN Tools

Unions seem to be going the same way as the Democrat Party.

11-23-2004, 09:53 Post: 100795
echo10mp

Filter by User
 CRAFTSMAN Tools

Guys I just have to drop my two cents in since I have far more knowledge of Wal-Mart than most of you. I call on Wal-mart for a living. I used to think they were all the things you guys are saying. What I have found out is that if it was not for Wal-Mart you would be paying alot more for everything than you are. I have sold product to all of the Home Centers, Mass Merchants, Grocerys and Misc. over the last 25 years. If you offered them a deal most of them would keep the additional profit and get fat. Wal-Mart says give me your best deal and I'll pass it on to the customers. They are for real trust me. They will not allow me to buy the buyers a coke or lunch. All other customers want lavish meals and clubs plus other perks. When it comes to honesty there is no one like Wal-Mart. They have never closed a competitive store in their history. The customers choose where they buy product. I can tell you they do not buy at better prices. They just sell at lower prices. They have the best logistics in the world and are very efficient. If you saw the headquarters you would laugh. It looks like a 1950s school building. This is the largest company in the world... As far as imported products go, you better check your labels. Most products are imported or have imported parts. Those Craftsman power tools are all imports. Trust me I know. Look at your clothes tags from anywhere. Imported. Do you know why? Because the American work force won't work cheap enough for prices to be competitive. Look at our tractors. Did Wal-Mart make those go overseas? I can go on and on but I'll shut up.

Wal-Mart saves you money so you can have more money to spend on your family. They are good folks. If you want to spend more money go ahead. If you called on these folks you would understand they are not big city guys. They are very down home yet smart.

John

11-23-2004, 10:10 Post: 100796
Blueman

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 CRAFTSMAN Tools

Here's my 1 1/2 cents...can't afford 2 cents. I was a buyer for a large sporting goods store. When Walmart's started moving in to our markets, they changed everything for us, we had to go upscale in many of our departments, and had to decrease the # of categories we carried, since Walmart effectively "killed" the category. They would sell a $200 retail item that we made 10% on, for $1 less than our store, with our ad prominently displayed. Sure, we probably pay less for many of the goods we buy since the Walmarts, Depots, etc. have come in to prominence, but, when is the last time you got the same level of service, quality, knowledge, etc. at Wally-world as you used to in our small businesses? When everything comes down to price, service and quality will suffer. I started this thread to discuss what may happen when K-mart and Sears begin to follow this trend. I hope they can differentiate themselves enough to offer us a choice, and possibly a higher quality and higher service level than what we have come to expect at Walmart, etc. I wonder if K-mart chairman Edward Lampert reads Tractor Point?

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page 1 | [ 2 ] | 3 |      << Prev | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Just For Fun Off Topic Forum

Thread 100456 Filter by Poster:
beagle 1 | Billy 2 | Blueman 3 | DennoAce 1 | DRankin 1 | echo10mp 2 | grinder 1 | hardwood 1 | harvey 2 | Iowafun 3 | JAZAK5 1 | kubotachick 3 | kubotaguy 1 | lucerne 1 | Murf 1 | ncrunch32 1 | yooperpete 2 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
candoarms

Landscape Maintenance - Elm Tree Removal Minot North Dakota
Elm Tree Removal Minot North Dakota

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ Joke o the day
+ Vandalism or Civil Matter
+ Merry Christmas
+ -17 degrees F
+ New Implements
+ Colonoscopy Tuesday how did your s go
+ Motorcycles
+ Merry Christmas to all TP Members
+ Youth Christmas Gift Gun