discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Just For Fun Off Topic Forum

Page 1 | [ 2 ] |      << Prev

04-21-2005, 03:44 Post: 110157
harvey

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster
 Was I really seeing this dangerous act

I've just tried to do the best job I can raising my own kids. Many of the lessons I got to teach them I learned in the school of hard knocks plus what my dad taught me.
Kids have to experience life and how things work.

Different people have different views of safe and dangerous. Some kids can not play football because parents do not think it's safe. That's ok until they tell me my kids shouldn't play...

I try to mind my business and if asked for advice I try to give the best I have based on my experience. I do not try to push my views on safety to my neighbors but I do insist on it at work.

I do believe Darwin has a theory on this.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 04-21-2005, 09:38 Post: 110170
BillMullens

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

There are all kinds of web sites with cautionary tales concerning farm accidents and safety. Find one and e-mail to him; while you're at it e-mail to some of your other friends, too. A little education goes a long way in this case.

What happens with kids, is if they get scared, they will jump off of the tractor, not thinking of the wide back tires, or the implement behind.

Good luck,
Bill

04-27-2005, 20:23 Post: 110444
brokenarrow

I am torn between two sides of this issue. I agree that farm families need to learn the "How-too's" and functionality of machinery. On that same note though, risks that need not be took should NOT be took. From the looks of the guys house and his rig, it does not look like his daughters will be planting many fields with him soon? Nor does it look like he will be either. In HIS case (if I am reading the picture right and my assumptions are correct) I feel he needs his head examined! You don't put your kids at risk of death (by as little as a slip of a foot) for the sake of what looks to be a "joy" ride. If he was training his daughters how to help with the farm in the future, than I agree that some risks need to be took in the name of "learning the trade"
Its funny how he has his ROPS up (he may even have had his seat belt on! Laughing out loud. But yet lets snot nosed little girls ride shot gun while opertating a tiller. Yes I think I hear Darwin calling. Fact is that year in and out we read about freak accidents and say, " That idiot!" Yet they turn around and do the darndest things themselves. My friend lost a grandson to a truck backing up on his farm. Anouther friend lost a kid to a corn picker, fact about that was that anouther child also died that was visiting his farm in the same accident. Those two instances I consider accidents. If this guys daughters fall into the tiller I think it would fall real close to endangering the life of a child by negligent actions.
IMO
I nice "NOT SIGNED" Note in the maile box addressed to his wife with a safety explanation and a reason why he ought not do that again may just be the ticket to saveing a child in the future from a painful if not fatal accident.

04-27-2005, 21:45 Post: 110452
jd60kid

I am also torn w/ this. my grandpa tought me how to operate a tractor when I was about 1 and when i was about 10 or 11 i was operating macinery myself,mind you not rotating machinery though.IMHO i would recomend talking to the man and tell him if he wants to give his daughters a ride on his tractor good todays kids need to learn and experience the "tractor life" but make sure that he isnt operating any super dangerous equipment ie...brushog,rotary tiller,pretty much anything operated off the pto.

Aaron

04-28-2005, 08:47 Post: 110462
Murf

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Unfortunately it is all too common, but then so are the inevitable resultant accidents.

The farm down the road from ours is run by people who either don't think much of their kids, or just don't think much PERIOD. They think it great fun for the kids to sit on the front of the implement when ground breaking, plowing or disc'ing, with a gun and they skeet shoot the seagulls, then plow them under on the next pass. They've been doing so for some years now, I keep waiting to hear they've plow one of the kids under also.

To a much slighter degree, I am guilty of a similar sin. Deputy Dog, my faithful side-kick gets all bent out of shape if I get behind the wheel of ANYTHING he's not in also, so he often rides with me.

HOWEVER, he is, even if he doesn't agree, a DOG !!!

I also have a CUT with a full cab, so even if he wanted to he couldn't get anywhere near the tires, or worse.

My neighbour has three little tykes, he asked me last year when he stepped up from a lawn tractor to a CUT what I thought about 'riders' on it. The kids wanted a ride.

My answer was simple, we'll build a proper wagon, with seats and seat belts, even a seat for mother, and when the work is done, take the kids for a 'hay ride'. It worked out better than we hoped. He also now has a 'bargaining chip' with the kids, if they don't behave while he's working, they don't get a ride afterwards. He even thinks it's safer than walking down the road to visit the horse farm, since the kids are belted in and can't dart out in front of traffic.

Best of luck.

04-28-2005, 09:07 Post: 110465
Oliver

I'm glad to hear people's views on this. My brother in law and father in law regularly take my nephew (he is 3) for tractor ride. They are never using implements, but I still worry as one needs to hold onto a passenger with one hand, leaving only one hand free to operate. What if someone accidently drops the loader, the rider squirms suddenly, or the tractor lurches over a pothole or into a hole? It'sjust not worth the risk.

I won't drive around the yard with my son on my lap, so why would I operate a tractor that way?

04-28-2005, 12:14 Post: 110472
dklopfenstein

Filter by User

I think the difference here is between teaching respect for things that can cause injury and true irresponsibility. If the kids are too young to be able to grasp a concept of respect, then it is irresponsibility. The age at which this happens will differ from child to child. As parents, it is possible to over protect, but we can never over educate. Any parent that places a young child in potential harms way by choice however, is acting irresponsible.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page 1 | [ 2 ] |      << Prev

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Just For Fun Off Topic Forum

Thread 109976 Filter by Poster:
Ardician 1 | Art White 1 | BillMullens 1 | brokenarrow 1 | Chief 2 | dklopfenstein 2 | funchy 1 | harvey 1 | jd60kid 1 | Murf 1 | Oliver 1 | StephenR 1 | wr5evk8jj 2 | yooperpete 1 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
DennisCTB

Current Events - Winter Storm
Winter Storm

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ Joke o the day
+ Vandalism or Civil Matter
+ Merry Christmas
+ -17 degrees F
+ Colonoscopy Tuesday how did your s go
+ New Implements
+ Merry Christmas to all TP Members
+ Youth Christmas Gift Gun
+ What is your self-worth