discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Just For Fun Off Topic Forum

Page 1 | [ 2 ] | 3 | 4 |      << Prev | Next >>

05-02-2003, 10:05 Post: 54164
Billy

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 How bout the Commander in Chief on the USS

I voted for GW and most likely will again. I think he's doing a pretty damn good job. A lot of people want to blame him for the economy but it was already headed that way before he took office. The way I look at it is, it goes in cycles.

Billy

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 05-02-2003, 11:40 Post: 54167
BillMullens

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

The decisions that were made 5-10 years ago are influencing today's economy. No matter who was in office during the magical internet/technology wonder years, the economy would have been great. Now that the bubble has burst, the current administration has to pick up the pieces.
I would like to believe that the President's appearance was mostly to show appreciation for the troops, with the benefit of being for publicity.

My own non-expert opinions.

Bill

05-02-2003, 18:56 Post: 54183
WillieH

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

A very good, long time friend is (was) on the Lincoln for two tours. He now has signed on agin, however for land duty,( the incentive plan was fantastic). When ever we talk, he always points out when there have been celebs or high ranking officials on board for a visit, and how it boosts the TOTAL morale. Yes it costs the country alot of bucks for the visit from "W", however, after being gone for so long, with so many missions...that is what they ALL need !

Let us welcome them ALL back with honor!

Willie H.

05-03-2003, 07:50 Post: 54212
cutter

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I have one son out of the navy for almost two years and a marine out for several months waiting to get back in at the same rank he departed. I was extremely upset and nervous when we had a president and first lady in office that despised the military most of the time my boys were on active duty. I don't believe a dollar figure can be place upon the value of a true Commander's visit to his troops, those that just risked their lives for the country.

We paid the families of the 911 victims an average of 1.2M I believe. The dead soldier's family receives a meager life insurance settlement and monthly benefits that would be referred to as "poverty level" by those that play with numbers. Our values are mixed up in this country at times but it is still the best there is!

Go George W! Support those men and women in uniform, I don't mind paying that bill. Nothing wrong with riding a J/D around the farm either George, especially one of those old made in America models. You could even test the latest lawn roller construction techniques discussed on Tractor Point to see how many "Chicks" albums it would take to resurface the road to the ranch.

05-03-2003, 08:24 Post: 54214
marklugo

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Let's put this in perspective. One Tomahawk is 1.5 million dollars. An image for the world to see of a strong, determined leader taking an active role with his military...priceless. How does anyone count the PR that this has generated as anything but brilliant. It just adds to the image burned into the terrorists minds that we mean what we say and will put a boot in your... if you mess with us. Some would doubt if that is the image we should portray, but I would say that it blasphemes the meory of all those who have served and given their lives and appendages in service of this country not to continue a strong tradition of defense of freedom. War never has been PC as long as it has been around. But no one can doubt that correctly done, it has had a major impact upon keeping history on decent tract to ensure that there is a future for the freedom loving peoples of this world.

05-03-2003, 19:20 Post: 54243
Peters

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Well I can see why we will run a huge deficit again and my kids will have to pay the bill.

My prospective is a little different than most, I guess I would have been upset being delayed on ship away from my family rather. I am not too impressed with politicians taking up my time to tell me something I already know. T. Kennedy's staged announcements for DOD at American Optical grounds were I worked did not make me add him to my Christmas list.

The Tomhawks cost 600K from what I read. Even at this it seems like a lot of money to deliver a 1000 lb conventional war head. Not exactly what they were designed for. Knowing the technology I was not impressed.

I did note that the USAF did not employ many cruise missles and had the B52 and B2 dropping conventional bombs with new guidance noises and tails. A lot more cost effective solution.

I guess we can chalk their use up to interservice rivalries. Despite new technology somethings never change.
I understand that we are

05-03-2003, 22:57 Post: 54255
cutter

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

No doubt we get our share of BS from your run of the mill politician Eric and I certainly would not have been excited by the visitor you entertained at your plant either! Something about the "character" issue that follows me wherever I go and is included as one of the filters in my choice of friends as well.

I suppose we could look at the $1.5M figure as the cost PLUS delivery charge for the missile. Kind of like those 99 cent CD's that have the $4 delivery and handling charge. If we could get the gov't back to basics and spend only on defense, border patrol and transportation infrastructure we could hand our children (and us) the other half of their paychecks to keep, but that will never happen either. It boggles my mind that this state is in a financial crisis, so what is the solution the legislature comes up with??? Why raise taxes of course, and they still piled on the pork projects to boot! I could never figure out why I have to pay for a sports stadium so a millionaire can use it to make money to pay his team more millions of dollars. The one nearest me was built at taxpayer's expense a few years ago, has lost money every year (that we must make up) and now the state is going to fund another one the next town to the west, unbelievable.

I'll get off my high horse now, sorry for the outburst. I must learn to keep these opinins to myself.

05-04-2003, 00:48 Post: 54258
JFarms

Those who said W's appearance boosts troop morale are 100% right. And I think they'd be excited that he landed in a jet on their flight deck. It shows confidence in them and boosts the morale of all armed forces knowing the President supports them. He supported them by seeing them off to the war, and remembers them when they return. Another example of his leadership to all of us.

05-04-2003, 08:51 Post: 54268
Peters

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Cutter the manufacturing cost of a printed CD and Jewel case was about 50 cents 10 years ago. I am sure it is less now as the cost of production has decreased. It is probably closer to a quarter. It can not be much as they had them out as promotionals with out the Jewel case.

It is one of those things that leaves me baffled, kind of like Reganomics. The cost of production decreased substantially with the introduction of CD’s but they charged more than vinyl at the Music store. When collecting records I averaged about 5 dollars each.

05-04-2003, 10:16 Post: 54273
cutter

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

No doubt it is directly proportionate to the salaries of the artist/recording companies and associated expenses. Then again, no other industry that I can think of has a dedicated 24 hour channel (MTV) promoting their product. Around here it is included as part of ANY base cable/satellite package, small wonder as most people would not actually pay for it otherwise (we are seeing some of the result of children that were raised on unlimited MTV these days as well) . I still have the old 8' dish and select what I want to see/pay for during the limited time I watch it. Fairly cheap for H&G, Speed-vision, Sci-fi,Discovery, (C-SPAN is free) and still much for free if you know where to look and happen to need your daily fix of serial TV. I still have my box of old eight tracks and player in the garage, perhaps when I find that old muscle car, they will find their way into it for nostalgia purposes.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page 1 | [ 2 ] | 3 | 4 |      << Prev | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Just For Fun Off Topic Forum

Thread 54124 Filter by Poster:
AC5ZO 1 | beetle 1 | BillMullens 1 | Billy 2 | Chief 1 | cutter 6 | DennisCTB 2 | DRankin 2 | harvey 2 | homedad5acre 6 | JFarms 1 | marklugo 1 | Misenplace 6 | Peters 5 | slowrev 1 | WillieH 1 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
DennisCTB

Lawn, Turf, and Grass - How to renovate a lawn
How to renovate a lawn

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ Joke o the day
+ Vandalism or Civil Matter
+ Merry Christmas
+ -17 degrees F
+ New Implements
+ Colonoscopy Tuesday how did your s go
+ Motorcycles
+ Merry Christmas to all TP Members
+ Youth Christmas Gift Gun