discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Just For Fun Off Topic Forum

Page 1 | 2 | [ 3 ] |      << Prev

03-04-2004, 07:32 Post: 78741
TomG

TP Contributor

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Dog Ear Infections

All three of my Shepherds were subject to ear infections and I applied the anti-biotic drops many times. The allergy idea may be important to follow up.

The female had chronic ear infections, sores and scratched areas in her early years. In dogs, allergies tend to result in skin inflammations that promote ear infections. Tests were done and it turned out she was massively allergic to meat--horse and rabbit were sort of OK but nothing else.

We got her by her first few years with desensitization treatments, an antihistamine (hydroxzine and nobody knows why it helps since dogs don't have histamine receptors) and a diet I had to cook. We tried various things like fish oils.

My now X used to carp severely 'You cook for the dog but won't fry an egg for me,' which wasn't true but maybe should have forecast an Xness, which became Xtiscee. The diet was creme of wheat, eggs, cottage cheese, brewers yeast and some mineral salts. That diet might not be appropriate for all dogs but it did work, and eventually she was able to tolerate commercial lamb/rice food.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 03-04-2004, 09:17 Post: 78759
Abbeywoods

Filter by User
 Dog Ear Infections

Dennis, we have standard poodles, and that breed always has ear problems like described. We Clean the ear as far down as possible with gauze soaked in hydrogen peroxide being careful to protect the dogs' eyes. Keep changing the gauze until it is fairly colorless. Then a small amount of Panalog antibiotic should be massaged into the ear canal. Keep the ears clean especially in hot humid weather, and the hair under the ear flap clipped short to allow air circulation. If your dog has a lot of ear hair, pluck it out before you clean. This is an issue you must stay on top of to prevent sytemic infection.

03-04-2004, 09:30 Post: 78762
DennisCTB

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Dog Ear Infections

The treatments do not seem to be working, his ear seems squishier than when I started.

And his head feels a little hot to me.

I think he is off to the vet.

We put him on expensive supposedly non allergic feeds like sweet potato, lamb and rice, chicken and rice etc.. for a couple of years now and I don't see a difference for the ears.

Dennis

03-04-2004, 10:40 Post: 78777
Abbeywoods

Filter by User
 Dog Ear Infections

Dennis,
The squish is definately not good. You are doing the right thing, it is vet time! You probably caught it in time, and all will get better. May require a drain tube. Good luck, I hate to see any dog (and their owner(s) suffer).

03-04-2004, 11:12 Post: 78782
k9fletch

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Dog Ear Infections

Dennis, sorry the ear cleaning isn't working out, my lab is in the water 3-4 times a week between April thru December and we havn't seen an infection in 5 years, but we do a lot of maintainence. Please keep us posted on what your vets come up with.

Brokenarrow, I completely agree with your vet statement. I grew up next door to the local farm vet, and still drive the hour+ to have the lab checked out by him and now by his daughter. With my shepherd I had to go to a "contracted" vet who i didn't see eye-to-eye with, It just seemed that he didn't have much common sense.

03-05-2004, 06:29 Post: 78854
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 Dog Ear Infections

Dennis: I left vegetable oil out of my list of ingredients. It's been quite a few years. The diet was a last ditch effort because the dog couldn't go on in the state she was in. The diet was the result of a bunch of research by my vet who found the diet in literature for treating something entirely different. Some oils help but they also tend to produce ulcers.

It is a radical approach, which your dog probably doesn't need. It does illustrate that if the infections are related to an allergic condition then it's not going to get much better unless the allergies are managed. In cases where commercial hypo-allergenic foods don't work, a plan worked out by a good vet is needed.

I came to recognize the early signs of infections by noticing black deposits in the outer ear. Ear scratching and head tossing comes later and is a sure sign that treatment is needed. I'm not sure I noticed 'squishing' in the canals except from the antibiotic itself. Good luck with this. It took me a bunch of effort but she lived in reasonable confront for 14 years although suffering glaucoma and fancy surgery in her later years. She was worth all the effort. Dogs tend to be like that. Treat them with a measure of respect and you almost always get back more then you put in. Human society could take some lessons from them.

03-05-2004, 06:46 Post: 78856
AlbionKen

Dog Ear Infections

I know I'm a bit tardy getting into the discussion, and the problem described sounds more serious than just what I call ear goop, but I have two Old English Sheepdogs, one of whom gets ear goop constantly. What I use is Zymox-Otic. The website is http://www.petkingbrands.com/zymox.html. It comes in a small bottle and I put some in each ear every few days when the goop shows up. It is an enzyme. I tried all of the other options described above and this is the only thing that has worked for us. Good luck.

03-07-2004, 23:15 Post: 79196
WillieH

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 Dog Ear Infections

WOW!...Right when you think you've heard it all.
With the way ALOT of different Vets speak of what the causes are and what the cures will be, there should not be an animal suffering anywhere anymore.
Dennis, I have a nine year old Golden Retreiver with hair as opposed to fur. As one can imagine, the fur mats, it clumps and it falls out at different times of the year, not too mention taking a month of sundays to dry out once wet. With the hair, my dog can go swimming in freshwater - Her name is Chelsea and is a "darky" ,- come out and be dried off virtually from one good shake...but the ears! She has had, as well as our previous three Goldens, ear problems and "allergies". We did the lamb, we did the rice, we did the...everything, until we recognized two things very apparently. One, she was not getting any better, and two, she was eating better than we were!
We finally ended up with the "tri-otic" fluid from the Vet. This actually seems to offer the best results yet, and affords old Chelsea...RELIEF! Every now and then , such as her annuals, the vet may decide to "irrigate" her ears, but by comparison to years ago, she is back on regular dog dry food, (other than sunday morning when she gets a couple of fried eggs topped on the kibble), and the occasional ear goop and draining, more for preventative maintenance than any thing else, and are wallets are seeing the "change" too. If you find something out that works for KoKo, please pass it along.

-Willie H.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page 1 | 2 | [ 3 ] |      << Prev

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Just For Fun Off Topic Forum

Thread 78371 Filter by Poster:
Abbeywoods 2 | AC5ZO 5 | AlbionKen 1 | brokenarrow 1 | DennisCTB 6 | k9fletch 2 | kwschumm 1 | Murf 6 | shortmagnum 1 | TomG 2 | WillieH 1 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
candoarms

Landscape Maintenance - Elm Tree Removal Minot North Dakota
Elm Tree Removal Minot North Dakota

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ Joke o the day
+ Vandalism or Civil Matter
+ Merry Christmas
+ -17 degrees F
+ Colonoscopy Tuesday how did your s go
+ New Implements
+ Merry Christmas to all TP Members
+ Youth Christmas Gift Gun
+ What is your self-worth