discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Just For Fun Off Topic Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 04-11-2004, 01:47 Post: 82701
Wildman1

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Motorcycles

Well, I was at my neighbor's Skidoo/Kawasaki dealership last week to borrow a trailer to haul the jd2210 with. I happened to notice what I initially thought was a pristine Triumph Bonneville 650 sitting in his shop. Well, it wasn't a Triumph but a brand new Kawasaki W650, which is an almost perfect copy of the Bonneville, right down to the horsepower..with improvements like overhead cam, disc brakes..etc.

I had a '62 Bonneville in the mid-60's and loved the looks, the sound and the ride. I didn't like the breakdowns. I've had 15 bikes since 1955 but the last one, a Honda 750F was 17 years ago. Jeez, I love that W650 and am working myself into just going in and riding it out. Am I getting nutz in my old age??

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 04-11-2004, 07:26 Post: 82719
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 Motorcycles

Just last night my brother-in-law was moaning about his BSA Lightening that became sort of a basket case and ended up in a garage sale.

I have the urge myself from time to time. While in school I worked part time in a BSA shop and had my own independent garage as well. I had an early Honda 750 at the time but what I really wanted was a Norton P11. Those Nortons took even more tinkering that the rest of the Brits but they were sure fun. I had moved from MI to LA and you'd think LA would be a biker's dream with all those sunny days and stuff. I hated it because it took most of a day to get out of the city. Sold the 750 after a few months and never got back to it. What I really liked was floating down back roads or on jeep trails in the Colorado mountains but never in cities. Now I've got plenty of country and no bike.

Something that looked and rode like an old Brit would be good. I was working on them when the N.A. companies were collapsing. Parts were an absolute nightmare and so were the basket cases that showed up. Seems like every Brit owner had a friend who knew how to fix them and seldom did.

04-11-2004, 08:09 Post: 82724
Billy

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 Motorcycles

I bought a new Honda 750F back in 1976. We had a 1/4 mile marked off on the highway north of town. It would run 104 one way and 106 the other. I gave $1,995 for the motorcycle and a Hondaline helmet, from Paris Honda in Paris Texas.

My brother-in-law had a new Triumph 650 Bonneville. He did have to work on it quite often.

04-11-2004, 08:11 Post: 82726
jasonsewell

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 Motorcycles

Well, I just pulled my bike out of storage here in the northeast, although we have 4 days of rain coming now.

Personally, I bought a Suzuki DR650se last fall and think that it is an excellent bike. Dual-sport bikes allow you to ride the streets comfortably, yet you can hop onto a trail or an all out dirtbike pit.

For under $5000 brand new, they run forever, OEM parts are available everywhere, and there are even more aftermarket performance parts that are very resonably priced.

Can't wait for the rain to pass!!!

04-11-2004, 09:40 Post: 82736
harley152

Filter by User
 Motorcycles

Been riding for 40 years---Had a BSA 650 and a Triumph 650 a long time ago---pushed both of them farther than I ever rode them!! As to the rain---I live in the pacific northwest and if you don't ride in the rain you don't ride.

Jerry

04-11-2004, 12:55 Post: 82745
Wildman1

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Motorcycles

Jerry..that was the problem. Something always needed fixing. My Triumph seemed to break chains regularly and once the chain wrapped around the rear axle locking the wheel. Fortunately, I kept it upright to a stop. Never did figure out what was causing the problem...then there's the "electrics by Lucas" syndrome, or the "tickle me Amal" carbs.

04-11-2004, 19:28 Post: 82777
shortmagnum

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Motorcycles

I snuck my brother's BSA Lightning out for a ride when I was twelve and have never looked back. Most all my bikes have been Hondas including numerous smaller ones, three 750s over the years, a Sportster, and an older Goldwing (1978) that I still have. This past Thursday I brought home the first new motorcycle I've ever had, a 2004 Honda ST1300. ST for sport tourer. It's got a 120 HP V-4 liquid cooled engine that should do over 150 mph if I ever wanted to go that fast. And that's with the touring bags on the back. :-0

The STs have been more popular in Europe than the US since they came out in 1992. There they are used alot for police vehicles. Like the goldwing they have a reputation for reliability. And the seven year unlimited mileage warranty is nice. That should be good for about 100K miles if my mileage stays the same as the past few years.

04-12-2004, 19:17 Post: 82885
harley152

Filter by User
 Motorcycles

yup, lectrics by lucas---the reason they drink warm beer in England is because Lucas builds refrigerators too!!!

Jerry

04-13-2004, 04:05 Post: 82913
Wildman1

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Motorcycles

My 1st "bike" was a bike..a Whizzer, 3hp..would do 41mph (clocked)but needed rod bearing changes at every oil change. We had a club of 4 Whizzer owners called the "Rod Benders". The motto was "we hear you knockin' but you can't come out"..referring to the rod knock which meant an oil change was due. The expensive $25 needle bearing crank cured the issue...but who could afford one in 1956??

Anyway..it's been a little tense in the kitchen the last couple of days. Wifee isn't at all enthusiastic about her 60yo hubby getting back into bikes. She thinks it's dangerous (didn't 15 years ago). Well, when it's time to NOT do something for that reason when we did years ago..I guess it's time to feel old and watch T.V...Me..I'm just about at the point of riding her home (the bike).

My dealer told me that they quit making the W650 in 2002 and this was the last one. They sold well in Europe but not here. That inspired me to get a 1st right of refusal...which is what I did with my 2210..which is sitting here in the garage...ominious.

We went to a motorcycle show in Colchester, England 3 years ago and I absolutely went nutz! I found about every old Limey bike known to man for sale. Of particular interest was a BSA 500 Gold Star for.....$850US!! in pristine condition! (never mind the AJS's, Nortons, Ariels, Triumphs, Matchless's..etc.) I REALLY struggled with that one and tried to find a way to store it and get it shipped home..BUT.."that look" wifee was giving me was foreboding...hence..no Gold Star.

Well..tommorrow is a test ride. I'm sure there's more to follow. My nieghbor offered to bunk me in his hanger..along with the bike...comforting.

04-13-2004, 07:54 Post: 82924
shortmagnum

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Motorcycles

Wildman, I've heard that the Karwaski 650 is a good bike. All the looks of a late 60's Triumph without the leaks, the electrics or the ticklin' carbs.

I would really love to ride in your area, but I don't have an extra week available to get there and another to get back. So Sad

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Just For Fun Off Topic Forum

Thread 82701 Filter by Poster:
AC5ZO 1 | Billy 1 | bnrhuffman 1 | D. Allen 1 | Ducati996 1 | grinder 3 | harley152 2 | jasonsewell 1 | millers1 1 | Murf 4 | shortmagnum 9 | TomG 2 | Wildman1 15 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
DennisCTB

Techniques Howto - Knot Tying and Uses bowline knot
Knot Tying and Uses bowline knot

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ Joke o the day
+ Vandalism or Civil Matter
+ Merry Christmas
+ -17 degrees F
+ New Implements
+ Colonoscopy Tuesday how did your s go
+ Merry Christmas to all TP Members
+ Youth Christmas Gift Gun
+ What is your self-worth