discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Other Home Building Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 03-22-2007, 13:59 Post: 140640
Iowafun

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Gas vs Electric range for cooking

I'm going to be buying a new range for the new (to me) house as the one left by the sellers is 9-10 years old and was so cheap it has no bottom drawer and the oven door isn't see through.

If I stay electric, I'm getting a smooth top due to the easier cleaning. But I don't like how electrics stay warm for so long. I have a 2 year old that I worry will touch the hot surface. Granted, get burned once and you learn. Been there and done that myself.

But I hear gas is great for cooking and allows you to turn down the heat on a pan quickly to avoid cooking over (spillage). I'd have to find someone to run gas to the range. Not impossible.

So what are people's preferences? Pros & Cons to both? I've not used gas before for cooking other than a grill so I am looking for feedback.

Thanks!

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 03-22-2007, 14:30 Post: 140644
kthompson

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Iowafun,

It has been years since I lived in a house with gas range. My wife is scared of gas so no gas in her kitchen. Ok with gas logs. oh well. She wanted the smooth top electric, it does help out on spills not running down in the range. You can wipe it up while still mostly liquid if fast enough. Those tops stay warm/hot for a while as the heating element heats the top to heat the pot. They also require or at leas you need a totally flat bottom pot to use on them. Even more so than on the older style electric range.

On a gas range I would suspect a child can reach into the fire on some of those so danger there. The way we handle it with our 3 year old grandson, when he is there it is back burners only. If more than that is needed then it means someone remains in kitchen anyhow. Pilot lights on gas range here is a problem most of the year due to the heat they put out. They do have electronic igniters.

If I had my rathers I would have gas top and electric ovens. The gas is quicker to adjust the heat.

Did I miss you have a house now? kt

03-22-2007, 14:39 Post: 140646
Murf

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

As someone who cooked semi-professionally for years, the gas / electric combo is the ultimate kitchen toy, errrr, tool!!

Gas for burners, electric for the oven, slow steady moist heat.

I would warn you against "smooth" cooktops though, unless you are SUPER careful they will get scratched, and then the one day you bump the scratch with a pot, KABLOOIE!!! Little bits of glass everywhere.

All in all, it's still tough to beat an electric unit for for all round "best of", cost, ease of use, cheap repair, etc.

Best of luck.

03-22-2007, 14:59 Post: 140649
yooperpete

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

We have a really cool GE smoothtop electric range that also can be used in a convection mode for baking. It was about $1,400.00 a few years ago. It has a light toward the front that stays illuminated if the stovetop is warm and shows which burner is warm. It was the only smoothtop that matched our corean countertops. It has a pulse type of heat and senses the size of the utensil. My wife loves it, I hate it. It takes a long time to cook since it is going on and off all of the time and as with any electric it spills over from heat retention even when you turn it down. Ours has a white colored top, most are grey. It discolors slightly even if something doesn't spill over. This however cleans up fast. One of the burners went bad and they had trouble replacing it to get calibrated correctly, it cost about $200.00 for replacement.

We have gas UpNorth at the condo. You get a slight wiff of gas as it ignites and if it spills over, it is more hassle cleaning up. It is instanteous "On", "Off" and whatever setting you put it on. That is what I like about it.

When we changed at home from gas to electric, we had to run a new line to the stove and had to upgrade our box since it was filled. That was a couple hundred more bucks.

My wife does the cooking, so it don't matter that much to me. It is all about user preference.

03-22-2007, 15:02 Post: 140650
kthompson

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Adding to Murf on the broken smooth top, there is as least two different materials now used. The first ones would shatter and if one burner went bad, oh well replace the whole top. Very costly. Iwoa, if you or your wife wants the smooth top, buy it. Cost less on the first purchase than when you correct that mistake (mine). kt

Iowafun, don't over look your pots. Some pots tell you not to use higher heats. With those you may find little benefit to the quicker heating ability of gas.

03-22-2007, 15:44 Post: 140652
SG8NUC

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Iowafun,

I lived with a friend of mine for 8 months in 1993 when I was changing jobs before my wife and kids could come down. We had always had electric everything, He had a 40 year old gas stove and oven. There is nothing like cooking on gas.

When we got the new house we got an gas range top with electronic igniters. The burners slip out as a unit and go right in the Dish washer I can do it. This unit is 15 years old they now have new easy clean range tops. That is the next step we take. We kept the electric oven as a seperate unit. All wall mounted with the micro wave. For kids a trick I use with burners and ovens. When you cook in the oven and the door gets warm (if you leave your hand on it will get hot)I got my children to touch the door and they learned warm to hot with out any adverse action. From then on hot was hot dont touch.

Gas range top, electric oven thats my vote. We fill our tank up 140 lbs every 5 years wheather we need it or not.

The old saying "Now you are cooking with gas" has a whole new meaning.

03-22-2007, 19:54 Post: 140657
hardwood

TP Contributor

During the ice storm power outage a month ago a gas range sure would have looked atractive. We've got a smooth top electric here and a gas at the river, both have their good and bad. I'm not a good enough cook to know the difference, but the Mrs. does really like the smooth top. Frank.

03-22-2007, 21:49 Post: 140658
kwschumm

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

We went with gas cooktop with electric ignitors and electric ovens. This was my first gas cooktop and we got it primarily so that we could cook during power outages, which happen frequently. Since then I've discovered I really prefer cooking with gas. Extremely fine and rapid heat control. I'd make the same choice again. To guard against gas leaks we have CO sensors on each floor and combustible gas sensors near all gas appliances. They sure are sensitive - if I come in the house smelling of gasoline the sensors will begin chirping.

03-23-2007, 14:34 Post: 140678
Justus

Gas over electric anyday. Our only regret is our stove is black and, just like a black automobile, difficult to keep clean.

03-23-2007, 19:42 Post: 140684
botamac

TP Contributor

I do the cooking and I like Gas you have more control of the flame. less burning So Sad , Now my mother had a glass top for years and she loved it.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Other Home Building Forum

Thread 140640 Filter by Poster:
bloggins 1 | botamac 1 | brokenarrow 1 | daveinnh 1 | dkheckmanl 1 | hardwood 1 | Iowafun 2 | Justus 1 | kthompson 2 | kwschumm 1 | Murf 1 | SG8NUC 1 | yooperpete 1 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
DennisCTB

Lawn, Turf, and Grass - How to renovate a lawn
How to renovate a lawn

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ Chainsaw sharpeners
+ Master Shield Gutter Protection - Anyone have them
+ Woodburning Stoves
+ This is to Every one
+ Gutter Helmet Review
+ Gas vs Electric range for cooking
+ GM 100 000 mile warranty
+ WELL WATER
+ Is a Maytag still a Maytag