discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Electric Forum

Page 1 | 2 | [ 3 ] |      << Prev

11-02-2007, 15:48 Post: 147681
DennisCTB

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Hanging Ceiling Fan in Great room

I told my wife I was putting the single pole switch in the attic as an emergency switch since it is a remote control fan, and she goes oh no it has to be in the wall! There is no explaining how it is pointless and only controls juice to fan and nothing else.

Then she says she does not know if she will like where I am putting it as we have ceiling high hats that may create a strobe effect if both the fan and the lights are on at the same time. Good catch, but we don't have much choice on location. She wants the fan though because her sister has the same layout with a stove and they say it does wonders for bringing the heat down stairs.

We shall see Wink yeah right

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 11-02-2007, 19:58 Post: 147684
nosteiner4me

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Dennis...I lost 3 customers of mine that died early in life when they fell off a ladder, they were 33-50 years old and the wives were devestated. You would be surprised how many people die or come close to that each year. Pay the 500 bux and watch them install it from your favorite arm chair drinking a beer. You are going to save money from the firewood you burn and also save money on the fan blowing the heat around the house. I would also donate 100 bux to the cause if that would help you stay off that 20 ft ladder and your wife can keep you around a couple extra years. No kidding just say the word.

11-03-2007, 10:17 Post: 147691
DennisCTB

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Hardwood,

Your comment from another thread:

As for the ceiling fan, would the Mrs. be real upset if you just returned the fan and somehow had some kind of floor level fans to somewhat of the same thing making the air circulate. It could be worse you know, some folks in this world don't even have a ceiling, let alone a fan. (No joke intended here). Frank.

Great idea, just to test out what you said I took an old box floor fan and set it 1 foot off the floor blowing on the ceiling. It was very effective at blowing the cold air into the hot ceiling air and stopping the stagnation of air on the second story. I am wondering if that set up with the floor fan could actually be more effective than the ceiling fan.

NoSteiner,

I hear you, could be cheap insurance. Yes lets pass the hat around so the Tractorpoint operator can still run this place Laughing out loud! Just kidding!

Dennis

11-03-2007, 22:33 Post: 147697
bloggins

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Somewhat been there, done that. My last home was a Linwood built home with a massive cathedral cieling in the Living Room. I replaced the existing cieling fan (at the peak of the roof) with a new unit and I used my 32ft extension ladder wedge into the main beam at the peak and on the hardwood floor jamed a combination of furniture to prevent slippage. I rigged an up-haul line(rope) from the upper ladder rung down to the floor and used this as a temporary pulley to haul components and as a safety line for those pieces while assembling (tie off with slack). All of my tools were in a tool belt and no one was allowed below the ladder for safety unless to attach stuff to the up-haul line. It wasn't easy and hard on the legs and nerves, but a cieling fan is great to have especially with a fireplace in the same room. Having a remote sounds even better so you can control from whereever you are. And...a great conversation piece when others look up at the fan scratching their heads wondering how it was installed!

11-16-2007, 19:43 Post: 148362
kthompson

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Looking at your concern about the strobe effect, can happen. Can drive you bonkers depending on the light and how close to them the blades are and such.

Depending on what you are trying to do and the design of the room and decor and such you may have other options than a ceiling fan. Is it possible you have a built in duct within the interior walls such as space between studs in which you could place a fan to pull the hot air down by placing a grill in top of the wall and the bottom of the same set of studs. With the height of your wall it probably is not open the full length. There is always more than one way to skin a cat or so I was always told but who wants to know even one way to skin a cat? kt

02-01-2008, 13:11 Post: 151017
DennisCTB

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Ok here is the conclusion.

Could not come to an agreement with my wife, she wanted to spend 10 times the amount I did so I brought the fan back for a refund yesterday.

We are just using the floor fan to blow some air when we need it. It was a no win situation, but when she puts up her wall it is a formidable one.

It is also the reason I don't bring her along when I buy cars, she hates the wheeling and dealing, and gets impatient and takes the salesman's side against me. "Hurry up honey!" ( its only moneyWink yeah right)

02-01-2008, 13:17 Post: 151019
kthompson

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Not sure how to make this work, but try giving her a pile of cash when you go to trade and tell her what ever is left you can spend say 50% of it on what ever you want, other than what ever it is you are buying (such as car).

Or since it is only money and it seems there is an abundance, more tractors and such seems the quick solution. She gets the fan and you get a tractor. Might be a win win deal there yet. kt

02-01-2008, 16:24 Post: 151024
Murf

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Dennis, not sure how it would work with your situation, but a friend of mine recently had a similar problem, except in his case it wasn't a fussy 'head of domestic affairs', his wife suffers from migraines and the combination of a spinning fan and lights is not a good one, as you mentioned already.

His solution was to build a wooden structure that looks like a beam up to the ceiling in the 2 corners that have the highest ceilings. They are just oak veneer (to match the rest of his woodwork) plywood boxes and are hollow. At the bottom of each is a large air register facing out in two directions, and at the top a large air inlet, like a cold air return vent. Suspended inside each box beam is a large capacity (variable speed) blower fan that forces air out the bottom vents, the only place this air can come from is the inlet at the top of each 'beam'. The blowers are connected to a thermostat that automatically turns them on & off based on the difference in temperature between ceiling and floor levels.

He said it seems to be working quite nicely and they are very quiet, even when running on high.

He figures they were less expensive than (in his case) running new wiring through a large existing cathedral ceiling with no attic above, and then adding all the framing to hold the weight of a ceiling fan.

Best of luck.

05-10-2011, 04:36 Post: 178390
Clifford09

delivers the energy-saving comfort and smart styling you want for your home. The PowerPlus motor is built to last a lifetime, and precision-balanced blades offer quiet, wobble-free operation. The revolutionary Quick-Connect Assembly System means you can install Hampton Bay ceiling fans in next to no time − the motor housing comes pre-assembled, and the blades simply slide and lock into place.

05-10-2011, 08:09 Post: 178394
auerbach

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Clifford: we've turned this over to our Investigation and Enforcement Dept. Expect to see them at your door.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page 1 | 2 | [ 3 ] |      << Prev

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Electric Forum

Thread 147516 Filter by Poster:
auerbach 1 | bloggins 1 | Clifford09 1 | crunch 1 | DennisCTB 10 | earthwrks 2 | hardwood 1 | kleinchris 1 | kthompson 6 | kwschumm 2 | Murf 2 | nosteiner4me 1 | yooperpete 1 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
DennisCTB

Current Events - Winter Storm
Winter Storm

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ Hanging Ceiling Fan in Great room
+ Back-up power
+ need a 110V winch
+ trouble shooting
+ Underground Elec - direct-burial vs in conduit
+ Underground Wiring
+ Tapping in to Well Electric
+ pole barn sub panel
+ Better common light bulbs