discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Electric Forum

Page 1 | [ 2 ] | 3 |      << Prev | Next >>

07-06-2004, 21:25 Post: 90245
brokenarrow

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Underground Wiring

All of you are right, this is why I ask questions when I am not sure what to do. I see your points and your all right so I thank you for talking sense into me. I can afford it, I dont know why sometimes I try to get away saving a few bucks, just nature I guess. So here goes the new and improved question. I have plenty of room in my breaker box 200amp service left. So what should I use (keep in mind that later I will put in more power out to the garage probably from anouther location since I am building 1800 more sq. ft on to the existing 900sq' cabin so The power location will change. I am coming out of my service panel and going directly outside and underground. I will only be burying it 12-16 inches so I will watch the way I route this and note it for any future excavating. (THER IS NO INSPECTIONS OR ZONING WHERE I AM) Safetey is up to the home owner. What wire would you use: For this temporary set up I will put in a box in the garage. From this box I will want 2- 20 amp plug in outlets and I will be lighting 6 flouresent light fixtures. the 2 -20 amp plug ins will be enough for what I plan on running.
Can I get away with the 10-3 uf to supply the power out there? I will not be using anything that requires 220 untill I wire it correctly all my equipment is 110 right now.
Let me clear things up a bit. When I build the new house the main power will be re-routed by the electric company to the main part of the new house, so ALL my power needs will change I am sure in 5-6 years.
Look at my pic 12, running over head wiring is not practical we get storms as of late that are out of this world with winds and trees flying all around (look up the Ladysmith Wi. tornado Laughing out loud) and many more bad storms the last ten years.

What would you do in this case, I was thinking of calling in a electrician but maybe it is something that one of you have come accrossed. When I built this place 4 years ago, I put in a ON DEMAND ELECTRIC hot water heater, it uses
"up to" 65 amps when fully engaged!!! It works perfect for what I need (5 people getting to the cabin at 10pm at night on a Fri. and my wife requireing ALL of us to shower before we dirty her sheets! Laughing out loud.) Tank water heater is out of the question untill I get a basement!
Anyway, when we DEMAND HOT water the lights in the house tend to flicker just a little bit? This has been going on for 4 years, I was told many reaons this may happen but none ever really made sense. We have not ever broke a circut breaker.

I wired the whole house including putting in the outside meter box. I had it checked out by a friend (who is now passed on at a young 55 yr old) He was a qualified electrician and told me I done fine job but he passed before I could ask him about this situation? Any ideas?

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 07-06-2004, 22:31 Post: 90248
loghouse95

Filter by User
 Underground Wiring

Brokenarrow, I will tell you what I would do, maybe one of the other guys has a idea you will like better. At the main breaker box i would install a double pole 20 amp breaker, at the garage I would install a sub panel..If you plan on burying theline 18 inches I would put the cable in, cover with nine inches of dirt and then lay in colored surveyors tape just in case you forget or someone else digs,and finish covering the line....good luck

07-06-2004, 23:30 Post: 90249
brokenarrow

Filter by User
 Underground Wiring

What size cable? 10-3 uf? And thanks alot!!

07-07-2004, 06:41 Post: 90257
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 Underground Wiring

A 20A 220V branch circuit off the service panel into 10-3 direct burial (DB) line should work. That way there'd be no unprotected line. I'd probably use 3/4" plastic flex conduit to protect the line going out of the house and into the trench and also into the garage and terminate it into a 20A disconnect.

Two 20A 115V circuits could be wired off the disconnect. 10-gague line would support the circuits plus provide extra gauge for the length and motor start up surges. A shallow temporary trench should still have a fair amount of rock free dirt in the bottom--especially if vehicles might drive over it, and it might be good to leave some slack at each end in sort of a frost loop.

07-07-2004, 23:54 Post: 90320
brokenarrow

Filter by User
 Underground Wiring

Will do, thanks! Tom.

02-24-2006, 22:16 Post: 125093
brokenarrow

Filter by User
 Underground Wiring

Aamazing how you can go back in time and revive old posts!
I am going to start this project asap like when it thaws and dries enough to excavate. 10-3 is what I bought almost 2 years ago now and has been sitting in my garage.
Crash course here.
How big of a breaker should I use in my main service panel in my house that will protect this wire?
When I get into my garage with it and into the sevice panel there, Should I have more breakers? (I was planning on it but thought I should ask? Am I correct on this thinking? The breakers IN the garage panel box would protect the lines and tools I use off of the electric lines in the garage. THEN If something should happen to the wire from the garage breaker box (under ground) to the house, the house's breaker would protect the house from damage????? IS this correct thinking or is this over kill or under kill (or not correct at all)?

02-25-2006, 05:13 Post: 125096
harvey

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Underground Wiring

BA on the 10/3 I'd use a double 30 at your feed panel if you need 220 at the barn.

From there it depends on how you want to do it and if you want to involve a code guy.

You can put in a small sub panel with a 30 breaker and a couple of 15 or 20 amp circuits + a light duty 220 outlet. or just wire the stuff onto jumper circuits.

I'd opt for the small sub panel. The intial cost is there but it allows you so much more flexibility later if you need it.

02-26-2006, 14:03 Post: 125159
brokenarrow

Filter by User
 Underground Wiring

Thank youy Harvey, I was leaning towards a panel.

03-02-2006, 22:28 Post: 125455
steve4300

TP Contributor

Underground Wiring

burial depths
24 inch uf direct burial
18 inchs pipe
12 inches uf or pipe if gfci protected

Now if it was me I would run a 2 inch pvc pipe to a sub panel in the garage, install the 10-3 uf minum to feed it, now 10 years down the line, because we all know 5 years means at least 10 years, you could pull up to #2urd aluminum 4 cond. witch is good for 100 amps. Most multi curcuit panels have a minimum rating of 100 amps. I would also run 2- 1" pvc pipes for phone and cable. Now around here they are sell a #2 mobile home uf 4 condutor wire, that is only about 50 cent more than 10-3 uf per ft. I do believe it can be direct buried but around here we have to many rocks and to much frost so wires do take a beating.

03-02-2006, 22:49 Post: 125456
dkheckmanl

Underground Wiring

Going back through this thread made me wonder what happened to TomG. Also AC5Z0 came back for a while and then left again. I miss the posts from those guys.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page 1 | [ 2 ] | 3 |      << Prev | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Electric Forum

Thread 90124 Filter by Poster:
AV8R 1 | brokenarrow 7 | dkheckmanl 1 | harvey 2 | JAZAK5 1 | loghouse95 3 | Murf 1 | steve4300 1 | TomG 3 | WillieH 1 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
DennisCTB

Gas Power Tools - How do you sharpen chain saw chain
How do you sharpen chain saw chain

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ Hanging Ceiling Fan in Great room
+ Back-up power
+ need a 110V winch
+ trouble shooting
+ Underground Elec - direct-burial vs in conduit
+ Underground Wiring
+ pole barn sub panel
+ Tapping in to Well Electric
+ Better common light bulbs