discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Landscape Maintenance Forum

Page 1 | [ 2 ] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 |      << Prev | Next >>

02-25-2004, 08:10 Post: 77846
shortmagnum

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Pole saws

Chief, I would look at the TSC trimmer. Pruning is a one time thing. Once you're done most of us really won't need the trimmer anymore. And pruning is NOT FUN so you probably wouldn't want to do it just for kicks (as compared to operating your CUT) The less expensive version would work out best for me. It only has to last a year or so.
Dave

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 02-25-2004, 08:29 Post: 77852
JDF415

Filter by User
 Pole saws

Ken,
Have you looked at John Deere handheld products?
JD makes a polesaw model PS2683. It has a M series 25.6 cc engine and 83" boom. You can cut branches up to 12 foot off the ground. The boom comes apart so it can be put in the back of a pickup truck bed.
The nice feature of the Stihl model over the deere is it can be telescoped to make it reach higher, whereas the Deere model is either full length or broke in half for storage. However the Deere model sells for only $359.
I am not posting on this site to try to sell anything. I just want to make you aware of the choice.
JD also makes my favorite, a split-boom line trimmer. You have only one engine (power unit) to service, but the added option of attachments if you need them. Such as a pole saw attachment, edger attachment, blower attachment, cultivator attachment & hedge trimmer.
check them out and see what you think.

02-25-2004, 08:31 Post: 77853
itsgottobegreen

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 Pole saws

I run all echo equipment at by business. Except for chain saws. I have a stihl farm boss and a eager beaver bucket saw i got for free. I would defendly look at the echo pole saw. They use to make one that was not electricly conductive. I not shore if they still do. I have have one i can borrow anytime i need from a friend. It very well build, a little heavy but the shoulder strap takes care of that.

Echos are great machines I got a 13 year old and a 5 year old PB400E that still runs and gets used every day. (thank god i got a parts machine) There the last leaf blowers still made with a cast alumiuim frame. They stopped making them for one year and got more complains about it, so they still make them. There srm 2601 string trimmers hold up pretty well. I also have a 24" double side hedge trimmer that runs great. Their mini tillers will throw rocks the size of your fist at you. Man that hurt.

02-25-2004, 08:32 Post: 77854
Chief

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Pole saws

Dave, couldn't agree more with that. In my case although I don't have a pole pruner, I have the annual event of clearing the driveway and all of my access paths on my property. Still for $179, I can by about 4 of these compared to 1 Stihl.

02-25-2004, 08:38 Post: 77855
Murf

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Pole saws

If there are many branchs to be removed, or if you need to top a lot of trees in the plantation then hydraulic is the way to go.

With two people and that tractor you'll be AMAZED at how fast it goes and how little effort it is.

Best of luck.

02-25-2004, 08:57 Post: 77861
shortmagnum

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Pole saws

I suppose there are many situations in which pruning is NOT a one time thing such as in an apple orchard. In my case the branches never come back after pruning pine and spruce. In another 50 years or so of growth after pruning, the wood added after pruning is totally clear and free from knots. So this is more like plantation pruning. I won't benefit directly from it but my kids will (or the #*&%# US Park Service but that's another story).

02-25-2004, 09:00 Post: 77863
kwschumm

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Pole saws

No TSC out this way. Regarding the Deere unit, somebody besides Deere probably makes it - any ideas who?

Murf, what do you mean Hydraulic? You mean stick somebody in the bucket with a chainsaw? I don't think so....

My needs will be ongoing - we have 15 acres to prune and will replant after harvest, and you know those trees. They never stop growing Smile

02-25-2004, 09:22 Post: 77866
Murf

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Pole saws

No Ken, not that kind of hydraulic.

It is basically a long pole with a heavy steel hook at the end, inside the pole is a small hydraulic cylinder, the cylinder causes a sharp knife blade to swivel out and past the hook. Anything snagged in the hook gets cut off. It is just like the pole pruners that are normally operated by pulling a rope, except the action is hydraulic.

They weigh very little and can easily be operated for many hours with the use of a body harness (like those used for carrying a flag while marching) without too much fatigue. They are certainly a LOT lighter than anything with a gas engine, they are also almost silent in use.

In the orchards they are operated by people standing on a self-propelled manlift that travells up & down the rows. In your case the operator would merely walk along behind the tractor or some other power source. A simple platform could be made to fit in a small trailer if you were working at a constant height, the trailer could then be pulled by the tractor. This is how we trim back the tree branches along many miles of private road we maintain in cottage country.

Best of luck.

02-25-2004, 09:41 Post: 77868
kwschumm

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Pole saws

Interesting Murf. Is that something you made or is it an off-the-shelf saw? I'd be interested in brands, price, etc. Quiet and light are GOOD. We only have to prune a few thousand trees So Sad

02-25-2004, 10:04 Post: 77872
JDF415

Filter by User
 Pole saws

The deere hand held units are built by deere. They use Mitshubishi engines. These are the same engines JD has used since they quit buying the hand held products from Echo back in 1994 or 1995.
JD purchased both Homelite and GreenMachine and most of our handheld products were based off the GreenMachine commercial duty line. Homelite was sold a couple years ago. Alot of people thought JD products are nothing more than homelite painted green, which was & is not true. JD did have a hand held blower and 2 chainsaws that were homelite models, but both of those are now gone. The HomeDepot stores also sold a JD branded trimmer that was a homelite machine painted green.
To give you an idea of home much difference there is between the two... Homelite engines were designed to run 100 hours. May not sound like much, but for a home owner who uses his trimmer 15 min per week trimming around the house, that equals 1 hour per month X 10 month = 10 hours per year = avg homeowner expected life for the trimmer 10 years. No too bad for a $99 trimmer. Now consider the Mitsubishi engine, which is designed to run for 1200 hours. Big difference in quality. These trimmers start around $200 (twice as much) but should last 10 to 12 times longer. It is a commercial grade product.

The JD Chainsaws are built in Italy by EMAC ?? Same company that marketed the Olympik brand saws in North America.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page 1 | [ 2 ] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 |      << Prev | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Landscape Maintenance Forum

Thread 77436 Filter by Poster:
Abbeywoods 4 | Art White 2 | Billy 1 | Chief 10 | grinder 1 | itsgottobegreen 1 | JDF415 3 | Jim on Timberridge 1 | jklmnugent 1 | kwschumm 21 | Murf 12 | shortmagnum 5 | TomG 1 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
DennisCTB

All Terrain Vehicles - Seed and Fertilizer Spreader for ATV
Seed and Fertilizer Spreader for ATV

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ Stone Driveways
+ I need a new 14 or 16 chain saw
+ Pole saws
+ Woven wire field fence construction
+ Removing cattails from ponds---what do you use
+ Chainsaw won t start
+ how to get rid of a snake
+ How long should a chainsaw chain last
+ New String Trimmer Needed