discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Lawn, Turf, and Grass Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 01-03-2005, 12:34 Post: 103364
Iowafun

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Spring Lawn Project

Ok guys! I've got 3-4 months to think and prepare for my grass/lawn fixing project. Here's the basics:

Home was built 4-5 years ago buy a guy who dug out the basement himself. Looks like he just spread the subsoil on top of the previous top soil. (I watched him do this exact activity in leveling a new place this fall) Then he chucked down some grass seed and voila!

So of course, the grass doesn't like to grow. Much clay, very rutted due to erosion (hill slope) and looks crappy. Obviously mowing sucks due to the bumps and the dust that is kicked up.

Some areas will allow me to just add top soil to a depth of at least 3-4 inches. Much of it won't handle that. So for the majority (probably about 1/2 to 1 acre worth), I was thinking of adding top soil and some manure. Then going over it with a tiller (excuse to purchase one for the tractor) to mix it all in with the clay. The go over it with a roller and add grass seed.

I'd like to hear thoughts from guys with experience in this arena. I tried adding seed to the current soil and it did poorly. Some areas I worked (just tilled and leveled the soil) turned out worse than the original. So I'm thinking the soil has little to no nutrients and won't sustain the need grass. Hence, the addition of good soil and manure.

There is a horse farm less than a mile away that I was going to go ask about getting manure from them.

Thoughts? suggestions? Am I crazy?

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 01-03-2005, 13:07 Post: 103367
lucerne

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Spring Lawn Project

Hate to see people cover good top soil, it takes so long for nature to produce and once covered, it's gone. I just stripped an old garden spot for a foundation and driveway. We hauled off 200 yards of beautiful black loam. It's stockpiled for screening and selling this spring. The gravel 6"- that came out of the frost wall hole was used for a base for the driveway. Do you think the loam that is covered is deep,worth saving? How deep is the clay on top? Can it be removed to get to the loam? If so, strip the clay, remove and pile the top soil, buy gravel to grade the lot to a level minus the thickness of top soil you want to spread or have. When they haul the gravel in have them haul the clay out, save money hauling two ways.Just a thought, I don't know if you built in the woods and the soil isn't much and full of stumps or in one of those incredible Iowa fields.

01-03-2005, 18:17 Post: 103387
hardwood

TP Contributor

Spring Lawn Project

Iowafun; When we built the house we now live in about 8-10 yrs. ago, I acted as my own general contractor, at that time you saved a hefty 10% on materials and cost of sub contractors by hiring and paying them yourself, BUT you learn a lot real fast. I knew the reputation of the man who dug the basement, the cement people, carpenter crew, sheet rockers, plumbers, etc.. They all did a fine job. The landscaper that I hired I really did'nt know and did'nt take the time to check him out. The man who dug the basement piled the topsoil and the clay seperately like I expected, then this disreputable landscaper made a total mess just mixing it back together, spreading a little seed, straw, sending me the bill and left the country. I finally just paid him to get rid of him, we've been working on it every since to make a decent yard. My point in all this rambling is that you were an indirect victum of a person like I dealt with. Far as how to correct it, we've just been patching in with topsoil where the worst spots were and after several summers and lots of bluegrass seed it's shaping up pretty well. Lots of luck. Frank.

01-04-2005, 12:33 Post: 103434
Iowafun

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Spring Lawn Project

Lucerne, I don't know how deep the topsoil is. I'm not in a woods. I'm on an open field on top of a hill. Great view, absolutely zero protection from the wind (the roof coming off is a topic for another time, same issue with the builder).

The soil on the place that was not covered up is wonderful. My garden does wonderful. The alfalfa field has great looking soil. The crap in the front yard looks horrible in comparison.

I'll just do what Hardwood did and pick a section and start the patch work. Oh well, gets me outside and gives me something to do. My wife will be about 8 months or so pregnant when I start so I expect I'll want to outside with the tractor running so I can't hear the complaints about how uncomfortable she is.

01-04-2005, 13:42 Post: 103444
lucerne

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Spring Lawn Project

I'll bet the soil that is burried is just like the soil that is out in the fields. You had better give the wife a bucket of rocks to get your attention when the time comes, second thought, tennis balls, wouldn't want to dent the tractor.

01-04-2005, 14:13 Post: 103446
grinder

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 Spring Lawn Project

Soil that has clay in it under the top soil is not a bad thing. It will allow your new top soil to retain the moisture, especially on a slope.

01-05-2005, 12:44 Post: 103519
Iowafun

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Spring Lawn Project

Thanks for that pleasant thought Lucerne! A friend of mine in Indiana would throw rocks at his wife when bailing hay. He'd be on the wagon and she'd drive the tractor. She was really happy when I would help him cause he didn't throw rocks at me.

01-05-2005, 20:53 Post: 103572
denwood

Spring Lawn Project

Soil is just a combination of particle sizes, Sand, Silt , and Clay. Depending on where you are the % of each changes. Certainly you don't really want just sand or just clay, which you probably don't have even if you think you do. Top soil has the addition of organic matter. Think of topsoil as chocolate milk and subsoil as white milk, organic matter as chocolate syrup. You don't make chocolate milk by taking white milk(subsoil) and adding chocolate milk(topsoil), you add the syrup(organic matter). So don't add topsoil (good just as it is) and dilute it in subsoil. Add organic matter of any sort you have cheap. Manure, peat, compost, mushroom soil(aged) etc. and till that in. People also mistakingly add sand to clay thinking it will make the soil better. It does not untill you hit a threshold that is huge on the sand part. Think of clay as a glass of water, very small bits. Now add marbles(sand). The porosity and drainage doesn't change untill the marbles fill the water and touch each other creating pore space. The sand would have to be added until it touched and there was not enough clay to fill all the space around it. Also sand is inert. it has no Cation Exchange Capacity(abiltity to provide important elements to plant roots) and clay has a large C.E.C.

01-05-2005, 22:04 Post: 103594
lucerne

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Spring Lawn Project

Denwood you'd make a good teacher. Iowafun I hope you realize I was jusk kidding with ya about the rocks. I lived in Iowa, Haysville, for a few months, great country,incredible farms, and some of the most sincere,honest kindest people on the planet.

01-05-2005, 22:44 Post: 103605
Chief

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 Spring Lawn Project

The first thing I would suggest would be to take some soil samples to your county extension agent to have analyized. This should tell you exactly with nutrients are missing from the soil and you can add what is needed. Then you can work on the seed bed and type grass.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Lawn, Turf, and Grass Forum

Thread 103364 Filter by Poster:
brokenarrow 1 | Chief 1 | denwood 1 | grinder 1 | hardwood 1 | Iowafun 5 | lucerne 3 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
Coachlarry

John Deere Gator - Input shaft spline or keyed
Input shaft spline or keyed

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ Poison Ivy
+ Pocket Gophers Gone Wild
+ two stroke on straght gas
+ The Plus and Minus of Ignoring Your Lawn
+ Installing Drainage Pipe for Lawn
+ New Garden Tractor
+ What zero turn radius to buy
+ Ever use urea
+ MowProducts com