discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Barns Pole Barns Forum

Page 1 | [ 2 ] |      << Prev

03-14-2007, 07:06 Post: 140430
hardwood

TP Contributor

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Moving Day

Yoper; Yes the decision to sell was a tough one. My parents farmed most of their working lives but never owned a farm so their was no "Home Place" for me to go back to. So what the Mrs. and I call the "Home Place" is the farm we just sold that we bought in 1969. We raised the family there, raised big gardens, built onto the house a couple times, and fully replaces every building except the house and a double corn crib. So memories, you bet, a tear or two were shed, but it had to happen. It wasn't a big enough farm to sustain a son or daughter to continue in farming and without family help the young people have a pretty tough time getting started. We as many of you too have saw some rock solid familys be torn apart by from helping one child more than the other, we didd'nt want that to happen. So about mid December when the new owners showed up with a very generous offer, it more or less told us it was time. Now that it has happpened all things have worked out for the best, yes some of my stuff will have to go to the auction or the dumpster but thank God we have our health, the kids are happy for us and I have a new adventure. So yes Yopper you too can accept what kinda has to happen. Keep safe. Frank.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 03-14-2007, 11:24 Post: 140433
yooperpete

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Moving Day

I have sentimental feelings toward both of my country properties. The barn and farmhouse were purchased by my father from an aunt and uncle on my 10th birthday. It has 40 acres surrounding it that I won't ever sell. The other house is about a mile away and is on 1 3/4 acres and was built in 1969/70. That is the only piece left from the farm that has been in our family 150 years this year. An old shed remains with hinges dating back to 1903. So I know it is old. Still have out houses at both places.

04-15-2007, 21:35 Post: 141332
brokenarrow

Moving Day

Hardwood
Great advice, my father-in-law a year ago received 2 grand ($2,000). From his mothers estate. His brother got 2K also. The (other) brother, who did NOT go off to the war (instead, stayed home to "help" with the family farm) walked off with the farm! Infact, 6 months after his mom passed, he sold it to a developement for 6.4 million!!!!. Yep, my father-in-law and his brother got a medal or two, and their other brother got the farm worth a ton!
Your advice and your actions were very good!

04-16-2007, 07:20 Post: 141337
hardwood

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 Moving Day

Broken; Thanks for the response, yes things were working out good till we dicovered that the "Small Stuff", in the former shop at the farm was just more than we ever imagined it would be. We had built a loft in the shed here at the house, it is already to the ceiling with lumber, so we built another loft along the opposite wall, it's full. There is still Stuff (good stuff) at the farm, all the junk and marginal has bee sold or hauled away I've got room for the 4310 and the Gator but no room for any of my impliments or another 2000 ft. of lumber, the wife's mower and her complete collection of every John Deere adult lawn toy they ever built, they arer sitting outside. Really was an easy sell to conmvince the Mrs. that another shed was needed to store things, I've got the same firm UBC that built our house and the shed to build a second shed. We havent made a firm decision yet as to the size, probably in the 40X60 range, but I've never saw anyone have to saw off one end of a shed and take it back bcause the shed was too big, there just isn't such a thing. But to the meat of your response, yes we are adding to the value of property that kids could squabble over someday, but the wife and I kind of have an agreement that soon as the firs of us are gone the one left is going to sell the rest of the farm (50 acres) and the acerage where we are now and either rent an appartment or maybe buy a condo, just to help prevent things like happened to your father in law. All our kids get along pretty well now, but as was said the strongest of familys can be torn apart over the almighty dollar. Frank.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page 1 | [ 2 ] |      << Prev

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Barns Pole Barns Forum

Thread 140344 Filter by Poster:
brokenarrow 1 | hardwood 6 | harvey 1 | kthompson 2 | kwschumm 1 | Murf 1 | yooperpete 2 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
candoarms

Landscape Maintenance - Elm Tree Removal Minot North Dakota
Elm Tree Removal Minot North Dakota

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ poles in the ground vs concrete footings with anc
+ New barn
+ Heating a Garage
+ The Icynene Insulation System
+ Increasing door height to fit tractor
+ Pole Barn Building Materials List and Plans
+ Advice on building a shop
+ Building new pole barn
+ New addition for my new Tractor