discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Toyota Pickup Trucks Forum

Page 1 | [ 2 ] | 3 | 4 |      << Prev | Next >>

10-29-2003, 16:42 Post: 67467
Peters

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Tundra needs sterioids

I guess it does not seem like too much of a stretch to place a larger diesel in the Toyota pick up. There must be some other reason for the reluctance. I guess you would need the pickup sales break down of 5 to 7 years ago when they made their decisions on the truck line.
The last stats indicated that diesel sales are now near 50/50 in the N/A market.
Anyone ever have a 70's Nissan Patrol? The engine was similar to the 240's with longer strokes for increased torque. Looked much like the short wheel base Landcruiser. It had tons of power and the thing would spin all four wheels on dry pavement. Naturally we tore up a few. Saw one raced at the drag strip. Very respectable in 4 wheel drive.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 10-29-2003, 17:46 Post: 67471
kwschumm

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Tundra needs sterioids

Speaking only for myself, after my terrible Ford experiences (three in the last 10 years) and terrible GM experiences prior to that (four in the mid 70's to 90's)there is NO WAY I'd by another one of either of those brands. My next one will be a Dodge. I generally try to buy from the Big 3 but if I keep having bad experiences Toyota will have another customer.

The truck market is Fords/GMs/Dodges to lose and from what I can see they're doing a pretty good job of that.

10-29-2003, 19:20 Post: 67477
Chief

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Tundra needs sterioids

Toyota makes a nice 4 cylinder diesel pickup. That was primarily all the vehicles I saw while I was in Honduras. Almost everything is diesel due to the limited availability of fuel and need for a reliable vehicle.

Part of the problem is that most folks just don't appreciate or like the table manors of a diesel and now more recently they are not able in some cases to comply with Tier II EPA requirements. Primarily NOX emissions.

I'll tell you what; after driving my Cummins I will never go back to a gas engine again. When the Sargeant Major's Ford Taurus finally poops out, we plan to get a VW TDI Wagon Passat or other diesel auto.

Heck, now that Scott has found my dream pickup truck in his photo pictures #8; I may just stop looking! Wink yeah right

10-30-2003, 08:32 Post: 67528
Murf

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Tundra needs sterioids

When we were working in the islands on one particular job it was about 10 miles to our rented house. The developers were building a brand new resort on a remote peice of beach and wanted to start on the golf course early because they were using up the surplus fill from the foundation to build hills, etc.

The truck they gave us for the commute was a Nissan Patrol Wagon, it was basically a Japanese version of the old full-sized Jeep Wagoneer, it was huge. It was powered by an 4 liter inline 6 cylinder diesel, mated to a 4 speed standard, it also had diff. locks on both axles, and the speedo only went to 80 kmh. (50 mph.). A couple of the young kids joked about it until one particular trip to the site after an all night torrential rain storm. That thing rolled down the 'road' (and I use the term loosely) through muck and slop that was so deep it was coming up the doors at times. I doubt we ever topped about 10 mph, but it made it.

The other memorable thing about it was the air conditioning system, it was obviously built for a tropical climate, the truck had no heater, just AC, and boy did it work. When we picked it up the first thing they did was start the engine and flip on the AC to full out. After about 5 minutes of idling someone noticed frost accumulating on the windshield, considering it was above 90 out that was quite a feat.

Best of luck.

10-30-2003, 08:55 Post: 67529
Chief

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Tundra needs sterioids

Murf I saw 1,000's of those Nissan Patrol Wagons when I was in Saudi Arbia and Kuwait. Very nice vehicles and the A/C was great! Wish they would import something like that to the States. The Saudi's liked the Suburbans because of the huge size and 454 engines but they were not all that reliable. I usually ended up with the good ole' Army issue 1 each "Duce 'n half" aka the 2 1/2 ton truck with a Continental Multifuel inline 6 diesel engine manual transmission, NO power steering. (good for building Popeye arms Wink yeah right Every once in a great while I got to drive the new 5 ton truck with the Cummin C series 8.3 litre and Allison automatic. The fastest trucks were the HEMMMT's. They had a turbo-super charged Detroit 8V-92 engine. The soldiers would disable the govenor and they would do a bit over 90 mph.

10-30-2003, 09:28 Post: 67538
Art White

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 Tundra needs sterioids

I hated it when International stopped building trucks. They didn't help themselves at all when they tried to break into the auto truck crazyness in this country and thats what the bulk or most all veicles we build in this class but a heavy weight car. No american manufacturer today builds a decent small pickup or to be more specific work truck. I remember when I got out of the service and was sent on an errand to pick up 27 square of shingles and the stuff to install. Thinking that was 27 bundles I went after them with my favorite heavy 3/4 ton Internationa pick-up. While two pallets of shingles plus later, a couple of buckets of tar a bunch of rolls of felt paper was the load. Try and do that today with a 3/4 ton pick-up. Don't get me wrong, I would have had to think about it for a few seconds or so if a good looking girl would have been hitchhiking where other wise she would have been in the truck in a heart beat, but I drove away at 55 for my 17 mile journey home.

10-30-2003, 09:45 Post: 67542
AC5ZO

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Tundra needs sterioids

I guess that I have just had better luck. I have a 92 GMC K2500 that keeps working hard. It has the 350 gas V8.

I don't know how much a couple of pallets of shingles weighs, but I have had LOTS of metal in the back of my truck. It does not take a lot of sheet and formed steel to weigh well over a ton. I suspect that I may have had 3000 or more in it from time to time. There have certainly been times where there was little or no rear suspension travel left.

The truck has been to Baja Mexico to the races twice and has always been reliable. The AC is not working on it now, but I have been having trouble with rodents and coyotes lately getting into it, so I suspect that I will find a chewed wire. The truck looks rough, but it runs fine. I don't know what I would buy if I needed to replace it.

10-31-2003, 20:54 Post: 67681
Peters

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Tundra needs sterioids

I really have not had nothing but Fords. except for my latest Dodge. For work trucks it is hard to get any truck without carpet etc.

One of the toughest trucks were the early 70's Dodge. A friend had one in the north with the slant 6, club cab and long bed. He was a gravel truck contractor so the thing carried a 150 gallon diesel tank in the back all the time. He constructed logging roads in the west coast so it was up and down mountains its whole life on the worst roads. He had bought it with the idea of converting it to a diesel after the gas engine dropped out as the Ford tractor diesel would drop in. Last I saw it it was still trucking with near 300K on the clock could not kill the slant 6.

11-14-2003, 09:41 Post: 68724
greenhornet

Filter by User
 Tundra needs sterioids

I'm another happy Toyota Tundra owner. Bought it in May 2000 and I have 50k on it now. I pull a 16' flatbed trailer with various loads,ie 5000 lb D John Deere tractor, a 26' fifth-wheel camper. I get 10 to 12 mph with the camper and have run out of punch going up hill on the hills south of St Louis on I-44 when traffic caused me to lose momentum at the foot of the hill. I get 19 mph with open bed and tail gate up, and 22 mph with a cab high camper shell. I love the truck. As strange as it may seem the competition was a Ford 250. I chose the Tundra because of the silky smooth drive train, knowing I would put more miles on it w/o a trailer than with and knowing it would handle the loads I might tow.

The dealer tells me that a 1 ton model is in the offing for next year. This could make things very interesting. They apparently are in the truck market to stay.

11-14-2003, 10:44 Post: 68737
DRankin

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Tundra needs sterioids

Speaking of one tons. I have been feuding with the local United Rental.

Even though the Tundra is rated for a 7000+ pound tow load they absolutely refuse to rent me anything with two axles.

Just yesterday I went there to get a dump trailer to haul firewood. The trailer had a max GVWR of 7000 pounds and I had no intention of loading it anywhere near that figure.

They refused to rent to me, saying I had to have a 3/4 ton truck. I offered to show them the owners manual and they said it was sales hype and wouldn't believe it anyway.

I asked for a written policy stating the definition of 3/4 ton truck and they got real mad and told me to come back when I had 8 bolts on each wheel.

My parting shot was to ask what they were going to do when the first Nissan Titan (9000+ pound tow rating)owner came through the door. They replied if it is a Ford, Dodge or Chevy and starts with a "2" it is ok, ANYTHING else is a 1/2 ton and doesn't leave with any tandem axle trailer.

It really ticked me off because I have been cutting firewood for a month into 80-100 pound chunks, planning to use the FEL and a dump trailer to get it home. Now I am humping big chunks up and over the side of the pick-up and unloading it by hand.

We will see if Toyota puts more than 6 lug bolts on each wheel. That is what these idiots think constitutes a 3/4 or one ton truck. Lunatics!

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page 1 | [ 2 ] | 3 | 4 |      << Prev | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Toyota Pickup Trucks Forum

Thread 67393 Filter by Poster:
AC5ZO 5 | Art White 1 | Chief 8 | DRankin 5 | F350Lawman 3 | getrdun 1 | greenhornet 2 | Jim on Timberridge 1 | kwschumm 2 | lbrown59 4 | Murf 4 | Peters 3 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
DennisCTB

Lawn, Turf, and Grass - How to renovate a lawn
How to renovate a lawn

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ Why is there no toyota diesel
+ Tundra Ad misconceptions
+ Tacoma mileage survey
+ New Concept truck I want one
+ Automatic Better Economy Than Manual
+ Tundra needs sterioids
+ Antifreeze Types
+ 06 07 4 Cyl 4WD Tacoma opinions wanted
+ Tundra vs Tacoma -- this is nutty