discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Chevy Pickup Trucks Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 01-21-2008, 22:39 Post: 150526
brokenarrow

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Chevy Truck bad mileage Engine Code P171

Hey ya'll, hope your all havin a great New Year! I will give you a fast run down of events and ask for any information you all can give me.
1999 Silverado, 4.8 vortec 8 cyl ext Cab 4wd. 190K.
New Tranny and I would like to keep her a few more years.
I used to get 18-19 highway. Things never changed: PCV )which I have but cant find right now)valve,02 sensors,MAF sensor cat convert. Truck runs great, no noticable faults with power- pick up or idle.
OK
Nov, I checked everything over and changed fluids, cleaned air filter etc. I went to deer camp and parked truck for days on end. After deer season I noticed my MPG dropped to 15-16. About Dec.15 I gets a service engine light on, I read the code and its a p171 (I think,regaurdless I know it was a ) Lean fuel condition bank 1), I clear it out. A week later I get 2 codes bank on. Lean fuel condition bank 1 and bank 2. Light goes out later. Around the end of Dec. it warms enough for me to work on truck, I decide to replace a few things (not that they need it, I just wanted to spend money and thro it out the window) My plugs were a big dollar plug along with a big dollar wire. I left the wires and changed the hotter burning plug I had in there (bosh 4 prongers) to a real close OEM plug. I changed oil and filter and fuel filter. I then hit the jack pot (or thought I did anyway) When changing the air filter, it was filled with weed material from a mouse nest formed. The box was completely filled as thick as you could imagine!!! (buisy little basturds during deer season when my truck was parked for a week). I think I found it right? I cleard the service light and for three weeks, it never came on. This week the temperature fell AGAIN back to below zero and my light came back on! Bank 1 lean fuel condition! Also, I never!!! checked fuel usage right after I had found the nest and changed plugs. Now I check fuel (a real good test, drove my son back to college Sat,600 miles in -2 deg weather) I got 13 MPG. AND 13.4PG AND 14.12 MPG !!!!
Thats the info. I was thinking about changing the 0/2 sensers (the front 2, not the back ones). and then maybe the MAF BUT the sensors are $65 eah and the MAF is $150!!!
Any sugestions? Maybe a trip to the dealer would be cheaper????? Any help at all would be apreciated!!!
Tahnk you all very much!

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 01-22-2008, 09:31 Post: 150538
earthwrks

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Broken--how 'bout some cheese (with that whine)! Laughing out loud!
Get a diesel! I get 14.2 MPG around town pulling 15,000lb. PLUS the truck. From one side of Michigan to other (yours) side of the Lake (190 miles), I averaged 26 MPG with no load.

01-22-2008, 09:43 Post: 150540
DennisCTB

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Nothing is cheap at the dealers, but so is guessing at what the problem is. Been there.

For such a big truck your current mileage is good, as good as my much lighter and smaller Tundra that I used to have. Are you using your own calculations or a built in oem one?

Also mileage goes down during the winter in NJ because of the crap they make the refiners put in the fuel for winter pollution. I lose about 10% in the winter because of the blend.

A restriction in the air cleaner should have made the mixture richer in the old days of a carburetor right? Do the computers and fuel injection in your truck change that principle?

01-22-2008, 09:51 Post: 150541
DennisCTB

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I got poor mileage on my Honda Pilot this weekend as well on the highway I usually do better than 22MPG, I got less than 20MPG.

I think it was full load (6 passengers), and crapy winter fuel blend, cold temperatures, windy. Can anyone confirm if low temps reduce MPG?

01-22-2008, 10:07 Post: 150543
kthompson

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

BA, my brother as a Chevy Avalanche, I think with same engine. It has about 100,000 miles and about 2 weeks ago he told me his mileage had really dropped. No reason given. He does use dealership for all service. He told me he had noticed the mileage was really worst with certain gas, the cheaper ones with no name. By chance your station is not using Ethanol and you missed it have they?

Dennis, if you are not use to hauling more load on highway speeds that will lower your mileage (my wife's Avalon with computer will show less mileage with the two of us over just one of us), head wind can kill it and a side wind will lower MPG, with a crowd you could have been driving faster and yes mileage is worst is cold weather if not long trips. Then if you air conditioner compressor is running for the defroster that load is also in there. If you had any cargo on the roof another factor. kt

01-22-2008, 11:15 Post: 150551
kwschumm

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

I mentioned this in another thread while grousing about oxygenated fuels. Chevron says their oxygenated fuel reduces mileage by 2-3% but in my truck it's more like 15%. It might not explain a 30-40% reduction, but maybe that is possible.

01-22-2008, 20:26 Post: 150581
1hillbilly

I am happy that you go such good mileage. My 2005 silverado 1500 with the 4.8 engine has only adveraged 14 MPG since new. I hear a lot of persons talk about poor mileage in cold weather, it has to be the gasoline.

01-22-2008, 23:04 Post: 150592
brokenarrow

Filter by User

I have alot of land 312 miles away from my house. I drive it regularily. I will fill up and zero my milage trip counter. Fill up again at around 256 miles (Osseo,Wi.) I would usually be between 13.5 gallons and 15 gallons at the re-fill up. That equals 17.0 to 18.9 mpg. I dont cheat the pump on both ends when checking milage cause it dont take much to throw a fictitious number back at you. Since my fuel gauge broke about 3 years ago, I have to zero out my trip meter every time!!!! I fill, and... I ALWAYS, fill up all the way 100 percent of the time. I have never ran out of fuel because, I know how to figure gas milage. (BTW) I will name fuels, Mobil gas gives me the best MPG. PERIOD. I can use Kwip trip and get good milage but I can also use the four finger corner station and about all the time I will be at the lower end of my average but never more than 1.5 less per gallon. This brings me back to my Service engine soon light (which came back on today). I think Im gunna bring her in. The buck and a half I spend guessing can go toward fixing it I guess. Just thought some one may have had the same experiance.

01-22-2008, 23:11 Post: 150594
brokenarrow

Filter by User

1hillbilly
Glad I have a 1999 then! BTW, my truck is stripped except for Air. I dint even have carpet, just a rubber floor. Maybe all those spendy electric features that come on most trucks use more fuel??? Try driving with out the air conditioniong on and then check it?

EW
How much was that smelly fuel U use last time U filled up??? If I had to pull my work tools behind me everyday, I would spend 10K more for a stink truck too. With the price of that shit now a day, Im glad I still have a gas truck

01-23-2008, 09:51 Post: 150605
Chief

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

BA,

Have you tried replacing the oxygen sensor(s)? The fact that you get a lean condition code latched points toward something in this part of the system.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Chevy Pickup Trucks Forum

Thread 150526 Filter by Poster:
1hillbilly 1 | brokenarrow 7 | Chief 3 | DennisCTB 2 | earthwrks 3 | kthompson 1 | kwschumm 1 | Murf 1 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
DennisCTB

All Terrain Vehicles - Seed and Fertilizer Spreader for ATV
Seed and Fertilizer Spreader for ATV

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ 6 0 gas mileage
+ Duramax Duramin
+ Tire suggestions
+ pulling trailers
+ 99 service engine soon
+ Brake problems
+ Dual Exhaust Cat Back
+ Truck bed limits
+ Fluid replacement