discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Current Events Forum

Page [ 1 ] |
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 05-20-2004, 20:33 Post: 86477
ncrunch32

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 State Sales Tax

When you purchase any type of vehicle in a private deal make sure you don't "accidentally" understate the value of the transaction. I recently purchased a 21' bowrider in private deal. NY State matches the transaction to the used book value and highlights it if the transaction is out of whack. Net effect: one must pay tax according to reasonable used book value. Penaly for underpayment amounts to about an additional 5% over 8.5% tax which must be paid. Computer database matching is everywhere. A lesson not to be repeated. So Sad

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 05-21-2004, 08:30 Post: 86496
Art White

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 State Sales Tax

If you have a valid receipt I would fight it. Many people do sell for less then fair market for different reasons and there is no way the government can penilize you for it. If there is a unusually big difference in the price then you might have more trouble but still I have always paid tax on the amount of the receipt. I have never had anyone at DMV question a lower then book value purchase. I don't boost about the great condition while standing in front of them while getting them registered either.

05-21-2004, 12:09 Post: 86520
ncrunch32

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 State Sales Tax

Art, I had a receipt and they took it all in at the DMV office and issued a registration when I purchased the boat - taxed me on the amount of the receipt. 6 months later they do a computer run and find that the amount on the receipt is significantly less than fair market value. Then they send you a letter stating that they already contacted the seller, they want your cancelled checks, they will contact your insurance company if necessary to determine value, etc. Then a second letter comes stating that the seller told them the vehicle was sold for more than the receipt indicated. They offer you a choice -a) pay up with penalties included, or b) offer some explanation which they may or may not accept.

07-11-2004, 14:33 Post: 90554
brokenarrow

State Sales Tax

I bought a truck year ago that had a damaged quarter panel. Same thing happened to me, they called the last owner, she told them she could not remember what she sold it for!!!!!!! Talk about wild!!!!! I was. She told me that she did not know why they were calling and was affraid I lied when I registered it and did not know what I told them I paid!!! They were really calling because I paid the damaged truck price and it was lower than the normal amount for that year and make. Laughing out loud I had to send them a pic and a reason for why I payed that little amount for that truck. I got the feeling they did not believe me, they called my wife while I was at work and asked if she knew what I she paid for that truck! Laughing out loud She told them a thousand less than I really paid and claimed! WHAT A MESS. They left me alone after that (maybe for fear of me coming up with proof that I paid even less! ) Laughing out loud
I dont like being called a liar (one of my pet peevs) If I do something and get busted thats a different story (Like telling the bride the truck actually cost me 1 k less than I paid!) OOPS 5 years later I sold that truck for $1100 less than I paid for it. I told my wife it was a good deal!!!!

07-11-2004, 15:39 Post: 90560
Chief

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 State Sales Tax

That is the "People's Republic of New York" for you. That is an outrage and a disgrace to freedom loving folks everywhere. I suggest you just pay cash and get a receipt signed by the seller for an agreed upon sale price. Then let the Jack Booted Thugs in the state revenue office try to prove otherwise. A so called sales tax on NOT new items sold by private individuals or nonretail sales is NOT a sales tax. It is a personal property tax and it is immoral, unlawful, and unconstitutional. Don't you just love how states just go ahead and do it anyway? But then again, New York elected "Hilary the Lustful Power Monger" and "Chuckie Boy I Want Your Guns Schummer"; so maybe this could be some kind of poetic justice or some such thing. Sorry to hear you have to tolerate such crap in your state. I know what you mean though; it is spreading to many states.

07-11-2004, 16:36 Post: 90575
Ducati996

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 State Sales Tax

NYS has been questioning values of cars and anything else that gets registered for many, many years...they got wise on to many valuable vehicles being declared with little value. Sorry to say Chief neither Clinton or Schummer had anything to do with it- its been in effect for sometime.

It is ironic that a tax is paid on such an item when new, and if ownership is transferred tax is paid again. Or when an estate tax is paid, but an IRA or annuity that was part of the total estate (which the tax was already paid) but they are not allowed to be kept intact as is, the law requires you to disperse in equal increments over a span of a few years or up to 20. Of course you get taxed on each increment that counts as income and you get taxed on that...
In simle terms they will not allow you to keep the inhertited IRA/annuity or any other tax shelter in tact as a whole...thats the biggest scam going, you get 4x's taxed..thats both the federal and state giving you the fist with a smile...just an example of lifes simple pleasures

Duc

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] |

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Current Events Forum

Thread 86477 Filter by Poster:
Art White 1 | brokenarrow 1 | Chief 1 | Ducati996 1 | ncrunch32 2 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
DennisCTB

Techniques Howto - Knot Tying and Uses bowline knot
Knot Tying and Uses bowline knot

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ guns for self defense
+ Problem Poster
+ women AHHHHH
+ America The Greatest Country on Earth
+ Neighbor easement problem
+ Weddings
+ Tuff Cop
+ My job just went offshore
+ Dealing PROPERLY with a terrorist O