discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Ford Pickup Trucks Forum

Page 1 | [ 2 ] | 3 |      << Prev | Next >>

04-17-2004, 11:19 Post: 83422
Chief

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 7 3 powerstroke oil pan rusted through

Let me preface this right up front as being half a$$. ;o) If you are looking at a $1400 repair bill, you could try draining the oil from the pan. Follow up by flushing thr residue oil and crud out the pan by dumping a few gallons of kerosene through the engine with the drain pan plug removed. Let sit over night. Wire wheel and clean up oil pan removing ALL rust and loose paint. Take inventory of rusted through or questionable areas. Clean them ABSOLUTELY clean with spray type brake cleaning solvent or laquier thinner. Let dry and ensure ABSOLUTELY NO oil seepage. Sand and rough up areas to repair in order to give the expoxy a goo bonding surface and reclean again with solvent. Pick your poison as to which brand/type of expoxy but JB Weld seems to come up more than others. Apply liberally and uniformly to repair areas and let cure up overnight. Sand down and smooth up. Primer the oil pan with a good automotive type primer paint and repaint with your choice of color of a good quality spray paint. This repair could last the life time of the truck or poop out next week. For $1400, I would sure give it a try. Typically, the rust is all on the outside of the pan as the inside remains coated in engine oil. If you do a good clean up, repair, and paint job; it should hold up. Just keep a close eye on it. The proper repair would be to replace the pan but if the truck is old and not worth putting the $1400 into; this half a$$ repair might see you through. I am sure I will hear some grief over this ;o) but if it is a clunker, what the heck. I have read where JB Weld repairs on cracked engine blocks held up for many years and some permanently. Definitely worth a try!

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 04-17-2004, 22:21 Post: 83468
AV8R

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Maybe I'm just stupid, but who told you that the motor HAS to come out to do this job? A mechanic who wants the $1400?

Try some other places which are NOT a Ford dealership for another opinion. A small repair shop may be more interested in the job (that quote sounds like a brush-off). Try some of the "Big Truck" mechanics. Many of these folks do small jobs like this on the side for cash.

Patching: It is impossible to clean the loose material (and it is there) from the INSIDE of the old pan, it WILL come loose eventually and clog the oil pickup on the oilpump and then the whole motor will be junk. Bad idea in general.

04-17-2004, 23:05 Post: 83472
JAZAK5

I have replaced 4 ford truck oil pans !!!
1 1987 4wd gas 302 f150 2 1990 2wd gas 300ci f250
3 1997 2wd 302 e150 and 1993 f150 302 gas

no you do not need to pull the engine but close !!!!!!
on the gas v-8 you need to drop the oil pump into the pan befor removal and the reverse to install it!!!!!!
pan $80
oil pump $30
one piece pan gasket $ 43

and the pans were NEVER DENTED
matter in fact I picked up the low mileage conversion van cheap because it had sat and the the pan rotted in the driveway !!!!!!!

04-18-2004, 03:03 Post: 83480
bnrhuffman

Filter by User

Actually Im not SURE the engine needs to be pulled out. My info is from internet research only. I didnt recognize what the problem was until Friday evening so being the weekend, Im sorta limited right now. Monday will be the day I start talking to people face to face about it and find out what the true scope of my problem is. It does look like a bear of a job. That engine is really wedged in there. Theres, at most, 1/2" clearance between the pan and a huge crossmember under the pan. What Ive been reading is that the engine and tranny need to be seperated, the exhaust needs to be seperated, everything off the top of the engine needs to be pulled off, the engine needs to come completely off the mounts and hoisted up about 6" to 8". All but completely removing it. To top that off, everything under it has a liberal coating of rust, insuring that the job wont go easy.
I always work on my vehicles because I got tires of shop monkeys messing my junk up but Im not sure Im ready to tackle this, mainly because Im anticipating a month long marathon project in patience, grease, beatup knuckles and broken parts. Maybe Im getting old. I think Ill just work some overtime(ouch, that hurt) and pay someone to screw it up for me.
Im not a big fan of temporary fixes but something temporary may be in order until I can get this thing done right so I can keep the truck on the road.
The truck is definately worth fixing. I looked long and hard for it last year until I found exactly what I wanted (except for the rust). Its only got about 58000 miles on it and the only thing wrong with it is the rust coating on the bottom from spreading salt. I figured that down the road a few years the rust may become a problem, this is just sooner than I expected.
I would like to thank everyone for their input.

04-18-2004, 08:30 Post: 83496
DK35vince

Once you stop your oil pan leak, to stop the rust from getting worse I would recommend you have the entire underneath of the truck sprayed with oil.
To stop the rust in my truck I sprayed under it with motor oil once a year for a couple of years. I then used Lindseed oil every year after that as it gets sticky and stays better.
I bought my 1991 truck used in 1995 with a fair amout of rust starting, I have sprayed it with oil every year that I have owned it, and in the 9 years I've owned it I have all but stopped any rust.

04-18-2004, 09:33 Post: 83499
trbomax

This is a common problem with the PSD.My 2k is the same way. Ford will replace the pan under warrenty, but that wont help you now. The motor does have to come out. For a lot more on the subject go to www.DieselStop.com [formerly The Ford Diesel Website}.

04-18-2004, 09:49 Post: 83501
kwschumm

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Is Ford the only one with this problem? Does it only seem to happen in regions that use salt? I'm curious why it's happening.

04-18-2004, 16:59 Post: 83531
Peters

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I find it hard to believe that you need to remove the engine to replace the pan. I realize I need to on the MF65 but the pan is part of the frame. The Ford? Let me check the Cummins? I did it not that long ago on a boy's 350 GMC not easy to get in and out but it can be done.

04-19-2004, 19:57 Post: 83667
unit5alive

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

I had a friend with a 7.3l have the same problem 96 f250 with 18k on truck bought new, and used as plow truck in winter ,his rusted out and dripped ,but what we believe caused it was lack of paint on most of the pan.

04-20-2004, 06:30 Post: 83694
bnrhuffman

Filter by User

Here's the plan. My nextdoor neighbor has a good hunting friend that is a mechanic and specializes in Diesel applications. He is getting a price to R&R the engine (and yes, every indication is that the engine needs to come out, or at least come up. I found a very detailed step by step for whats involved in installing a new pan and it does include pulling the engine).
In the mean time, I've got some JBWeld, some kerosene, a new filter and 14 qts of oil, some fiberglass cloth, a couple of wire brushes, emery cloth, files, some naval jelly, soap & water, primer and some black engine paint.
Am I missing anything besides time?
Whats everyones thoughts on pouring mineral spirits down the filler tube to flush all of the oil out so the holes dry up. Thats what the kerosene is for but mineral spirits wont leave any oily residue as Im trying to keep the last bit from dripping out the rust holes.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page 1 | [ 2 ] | 3 |      << Prev | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Ford Pickup Trucks Forum

Thread 83346 Filter by Poster:
Andy_H 1 | AV8R 4 | BillMullens 1 | bnrhuffman 8 | Chief 3 | DK35vince 1 | DRankin 2 | itsdasmoke 1 | JAZAK5 1 | kwschumm 2 | Peters 2 | shortmagnum 1 | tom.jelly 1 | trbomax 1 | unit5alive 1 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
DennisCTB

Gas Power Tools - How do you sharpen chain saw chain
How do you sharpen chain saw chain

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ ford versus chevy
+ Ford ranger chassis problems
+ F-250 6 0 Turbo Diesel
+ Worst Puchase Ever 2004 Ford F150
+ 7 3 powerstroke oil pan rusted through
+ My oppinion on my new 2002 f250 4x4
+ Looking to buy a New Pickup Truck
+ Ford Brakes Breaks
+ Big Brother right around the corner