discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Gas Power Tools Forum

Page 1 | [ 2 ] | 3 |      << Prev | Next >>

06-30-2008, 09:50 Post: 154958
Murf

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Ether in small gas engines

Ken, we have a whack of those little Hondas on various things, they all start and run like a champ, BUT, they like gas to start.

If yours doesn't have a primer, get one, if it does, don't be afraid to use it. Even just shut down and on a warm day they like the choke, full till it kicks, if it doesn't start, back the choke off to 1/2 and try again.

I've never been able to flood a Honda either, dripping wet they still start, a little dry, forget it.

Best of luck.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 06-30-2008, 10:31 Post: 154961
hardwood

TP Contributor

Filter by User

Much as I am a staunch AMERICAN built fellow, and I know my little Deere is powered by a rice burner, etc.. Anyhow all the local grain elevators have gone to Honda powered grain augers they pull from farm to farm to clean grain bins. I don't know of an elevator owner that you could PAY to put a Briggs back on an auger. The Honda's just plain START. Frank.

06-30-2008, 11:17 Post: 154964
kwschumm

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

After owning these two Honda's you couldn't pay me to buy another. They flat out don't start. Drained the tank and fuel bowl and replaced with fresh fuel, replaced the plugs, new carburetors, neither of the damn things start until I'm near dead from pulling the starter. I gave up and took one of them to a small engine shop. They cleaned everything out, changed the plug and said nothing was wrong. It was warm when I picked it up and it started right up. Sure enough, a few days later the damn thing wouldn't start cold.

Honda small engines, I hate 'em. I'm sort of looking for an ATV and I can tell you it won't be a Honda.

Murf, you can get primer bulbs for these things?

06-30-2008, 11:59 Post: 154966
Murf

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Ken, trust me, if there's a problem with those engines, you have the only two I've ever heard of!

You can get a primer bulb for anything that has a fuel line, both inline and button styles. Any place that sells marine supplies will have replacement inline ones for 1/4" ID hose.

It sure sounds like you're not giving them enough gas, like I said, they REALLY like to start with lots of choke and/or gas. I don't think I've ever had to pull one more than 3 times ever to get it started.

In fact I'm in the midst of making a modern reproduction of a classic wooden boat, it will be powered with a Honda engine buried down below the decks.

Best of luck.

06-30-2008, 12:20 Post: 154967
kwschumm

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I had a JD lawn mower with a Briggs engine for seven years. That thing started up first or second pull every time. I never drained the fuel at the end of the season and never used Stabil or any other fuel conditioner. The dang thing always started. Good money says that the Honda's should do at least as well with fresh fuel and carbs that were drained at the end of the season but with these engines that money would be poorly spent.

If they start with ether I'll live with them, if not they will be sold to a Honda lover and replaced with something else.

06-30-2008, 16:11 Post: 154972
DennisCTB

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

I have a Honda Pressure washer and a Honda 33 Ton Log splitter, both start up great. The only time I have a problem is through my own operator error. Like me forgetting to put the ignition switch on So Sad or having the fuel shut off lever in the wrong position.

On the pressure washer I have to have the water line attached and on with me pulling the trigger on the washer gun to relieve the resistance in the pump.

Like Murf said of all the engine manufacturers Honda engines have the best starting reputation. Of course that does not help when you are having problems with two you happen to have. Sorry you are having a tough go if it.

Dennis

06-30-2008, 16:20 Post: 154975
kwschumm

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Thanks, Dennis. The reason I bought the Hondas was because of their great reputation. Like you, mine are on a log splitter and pressure washer. These are both Honda GX270s, what models are yours?

I keep thinking I'm an idiot for not being able to start these. I keep getting out the manuals and following the step by step instructions. Yes, on the PW I have to have water connected, turned on and the trigger pulled to relieve pressure and preserve the pump. I've had a couple of D'OH moments by forgetting to turn the fuel flow on or ignition switch but then at least I know it's my fault. I put a checklist on the garage wall - Ignition, fuel flow, choke, throttle set to 1/3 open.

I even disconnected the low oil alerts thinking they are faulty. No go there.

When all the Honda ducks are lined up and they still don't quack I want to kick the Honda duck crap right out of 'em.

06-30-2008, 16:36 Post: 154976
Murf

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Ken, just an idea, but I noticed that you mention turning off the fuel.

Do you by chance turn off the fuel and run the engine dry every time you use the engine? If so, that could be part of the problem, I had a small engine (Honda) dealer (we buy a LOT from them) that the ONLY time you should shut off the fuel and allow the engine to run dry is in the fall as part of an over-winter storage regimen. For normal use, just shut off the ignition, and then close the fuel. In fact I doubt we even shut off the fuel most times.

The explanation given was that running the engine dry will create a vacuum/air lock in the carb and it will be a bear to start following that.

Just for giggles, try turning on the gas a few minutes (or longer) before you plan on starting the engine to be sure that the carb is full of gas before you start yanking on the rope.

You should also, at all costs, avoid using methanol blended gasolines in any small engines, doing so is just asking (loudly) for trouble, both in starting, and in the (shortened) life of the engine.

Best of luck.

06-30-2008, 16:46 Post: 154977
kwschumm

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Murf, good thought but that's not it. I always have leave fuel in it and just use the fuel shutoff. Always use Stabil in the fuel, too, and bought fresh fuel just last week. It's E-10 ethanol, not methanol.

When it wouldn't start I disconnected the hose from the tank to the carb and drained the fuel from the tank. Then the hose was reconnected to the carb and I dropped the fuel bowl and let the carb drain. Then I put it all together, unscrewed the fuel bowl drain screw, poured in fresh fuel until it started draining out the screw hole (to be sure fuel was flowing to the carb), and then shut the drain screw. Tried to start it, no go. Went in, had lunch, came back out and it still wouldn't start. Squirted some fuel into the carburetor throat, pulled another dozen times, and gave up.

Then I came on here and started bitching. Smile

I figure if it starts right up with ether it's a fuel problem. If not, it's an ignition problem. The ignition problem I can fix, but after replacing the carburetor and blowing the lines clear I'm not sure what I can do about the fuel system (such as it is). Maybe buy an aftermarket carburetor since the Honda ones are giving me trouble.

06-30-2008, 17:36 Post: 154978
earthwrks

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

KW: You disconnected the low oil alert?

RUT-ROH-Raggy!

I did the same thing on a spanking new $2000 welder/ generator because it wouldn't start. The Low oil light kept flickering which is part of the on/off switch. I tore it apart and hot-wired it to get it to run. It ran awhile and quit. It only had a few hours on it and I checked the oil again and topped it off. Still wouldn't start. I took it back to Tractor Supply and got another one. Topped off the oil on the new one, ran it for about a few hours and same thing happened. I'm on a job and pissed. Really pissed.

Took it a servicing dealer and the first thing the manager asks is: "Did you check the oil".
"It's BRAND new! I just put oil it TWO hours ago!"
"Doesn't matter" he says, checking the oil.
"Yup it's down" He tops it off and it ran perfect.
Man, I felt like Kenny Thompson (KT from SC) at a prairie-oyster-eating contest!

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page 1 | [ 2 ] | 3 |      << Prev | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Gas Power Tools Forum

Thread 154892 Filter by Poster:
candoarms 2 | DennisCTB 1 | earthwrks 2 | hardwood 2 | harvey 2 | joedepilot 1 | kthompson 2 | kwschumm 12 | Murf 3 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
chuckles

Toyota Cars - New Toyota No Oil Filter Cartridge
New Toyota No Oil Filter Cartridge

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ What kind of Chainsaw to buy
+ How do you sharpen chain saw chain
+ Burnt up stihl 290 chain saw 4 months old
+ Honda Gx270 Will not start Stumped
+ Log Splitter Injury
+ Gas Trimmers
+ Log splitter review recommendations
+ Stihl 026 chain saw does not start
+ Chainsaw sharpening woe s