discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Just For Fun Off Topic Forum

Page 1 | [ 2 ] | 3 |      << Prev | Next >>

07-29-2005, 07:38 Post: 114056
DennisCTB

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Hornet help

Brokenarrow, that is too funny! makes me think of Caddy Shack and Bill Murray going after his nemisis the gopher.

Here are a couple more ideas:

1) if you have a bug zapper put it near the hole when they are sleeping then run it a couple hours before dark and in the morning for a couple of days. I have done this and it kills alot of them.

2) Connect that long length of PVC pipe to shop vac and suck them in. Then spray some insect spray into the end of the hose to kill them. ( I have never done this )

3) Take your PVC idea again and instead of gasoline, use a funnel to fill a portion of it with Sevin based powder. Use exhaust side of shop vac to blow into the hole at night. (again never tried myself)
3) Again take your PVC idea and instead of gasoline, use the PVC as a aquaduct to poor liquid sevin down their hole. (again never tried myself)

Laughing out loud

Link:   Bull Murry and the Gopher 

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 07-29-2005, 08:10 Post: 114063
Murf

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Hornet help

Take advantage of nature.

The wasps are all in the nest and asleep in the dark cool hours of the night. Go out there just before turning in one night and nuke 'em.

We use a foaming solution in spray cans. I had one in a crack in the brick work around the back of the garage, the little buggers got a full can of foam one night around midnight, never even saw one of them after that.

I'm told nightime is the only time to try since they're all in their and you get everyone of them.

Best of luck.

07-29-2005, 08:56 Post: 114069
AC5ZO

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Hornet help

If you use the gasoline idea, it is a good idea to wait for the vapors to move throughout the colony. If you pour gasoline down the hole and dribble a trail to serve as a fuse, you will not be waiting long enough.

As far as lighting it, we used to throw matches into the hole from a few feet away. (but we were going after groundhogs and not flying stinging insects.) Anyway, I would say that we waited three or four minutes before trying to light the gasoline.

07-31-2005, 11:24 Post: 114146
brokenarrow

Filter by User
 Hornet help

All great advice. I see where Dennis is going, the gas idea (that I am still pondering with) is never a real good ecological idea. Although I really dont care about a one time shot of gas into the ground I still am a bit concerned obout my habitat we all just use for a little while.
Dennis, will sevin kill hornets? I have never looked at the container. Heck if it does I may just go buy a small truck load and dump it on the opening!
All I can say is that this is anouther good case for why I should buy a fully enclosed cab LS 185B. It would be fun digging them little turds up and watching them break their sorry stingers on my window!

07-31-2005, 20:13 Post: 114158
DennisCTB

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Hornet help

Here is some guidance on how to protect honey bees from the dreaded Sevin application to crops:

" Proposed label language includes, “Do not apply this product or allow it to drift to blooming crops or weeds if bees are visiting the treatment area.” This language would be applied to all carbaryl labels. The current bee warning on Sevin 5 Bait reads, “This product is highly toxic to bees exposed to direct treatment or residues on crops. Protective information may be obtained from your Cooperative Agricultural Agent.” The current bee warning on Sevin XLR Plus reads, “This product is highly toxic to bees exposed to direct treatment or residues on blooming crops or weeds. However field studies have shown that SEVIN brand XLR Plus Carbaryl Insecticide is less hazardous to honey bees than other carbaryl products when direct application to bees is avoided and the spray residues have dried. For maximum honey bee hazard reduction, apply from late evening to early morning when bees are not foraging. Do not apply this product or allow it to drift to blooming crops or weeds if bees are foraging in the treatment area. However, applications may be made during foraging periods if the beekeeper takes on of the following precautionary measures prior to bee flight activity on the day of treatment: (1) Confine the honey bees to the hive by covering the colony or screening the entrance or; (2) locate hives beyond bee flight range from the treated area. Precautionary measures may be discontinued after spray resides have dried. Contact you cooperative Agricultural Extension Service or your local Bayer CropScience representative for further information.”

So I can only guess they won't like it.

On onace's idea for a hose if you have access to a hot water line like I do in my garage putting 180 degree water down their hole will also have some impact.

07-31-2005, 22:01 Post: 114164
brokenarrow

Filter by User
 Hornet help

Thanks alot Dennis for all that info and to ALL others that have helped this "chicken little" out. Right now I have a hose running at full force at what I hope is their entrance. I took my 12 foot painters extension, duct taped the hose to it and walked out there and layed her where I belive the entrance is. It has been running for an hour now and soon I will be turning it off. If I am lucky I will have a good flood down there. I figure I will turn her on every night for an hour or two till the little buggers either vacate or drown. Atleast the new borns that are down there should drown. Tomarrow I will check her out in the daylight and see for sure how close the hose is to the opening. I have more guts during the day than at night and I know that should be reversed but the thought of blindly being slapped by them is worse than knowing it is coming.
I think I need to see a shrink, maybe hypnosis could help me over come this fear.
On a side note though, this weekend I had one of my buddies to my farm/hunting land (Laughing out loud) He was one that was behind me when I tilled up a ground hornets nest when I was in the enclosed cab. He is NOT affraid of anything that flies. I told him we should till up that half acre that I have been spraying with round up to prepaire it for next year. Laughing out loud, He told me there is NO way this late in the year he will run my tractor doing that! (that makes me feel better) He said if he could see the ground he would do it but since there is still standing dead vegitation and can not tell if any activity is around this field, there is no way he is going to be seat belted to the slow form of a electric chair. I agreed and decided to wait till after the first few frosts this fall.
185B with an enclosed cab is looking better and better! Now I just need to hit the lottery

08-01-2005, 11:23 Post: 114183
JD855inWI

Hornet help

In the evening when every body is home in the nest, pour in a ½ quart of Bo-Peep ammonia and about a ½ quart of bleach. As dry as its been here, you may have to mix them and then quickly pour them in together. When you see that blue smoke coming from the ground, fill the hole with dirt to drive the gas down in. If it comes out the second entrance fill it in too. I’ve used this on a number of ground nests, works every time. Don’t do this too close to the house, or well casing, if it kills bees, it’ll kill you too.

08-01-2005, 12:36 Post: 114189
Iowafun

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Hornet help

Brokenarrow, don't sweat being considered a chicken turd. I stepped on a hornet's nest when I was 4 or 5 years old. That set my opinion of bees/hornets for life.

I remember when my brother and I were on a road trip and a wasp got into the car. I was driving while my brother stood guard while I accelerated to the next off-ramp. Once there, locked the brakes and a chinese fire drill ensued as we flew out of the car! We then argued for 5 minutes over who was going to kill the wasp while passersby looked at us all funny.

08-01-2005, 15:50 Post: 114195
AC5ZO

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Hornet help

JD855...The blue green smoke is Chlorine gas mixed with a bit of ammonia gas. That should do the trick on the hornets, alright. This mixture should not be particularly dangerous when done outside, but try not to breath the vapors. Concentrated vapors will also burn the eyes. Mixing these chemicals inside could easily send you to the hospital.

Personally I would not mix the chemicals BEFORE putting them in the hole because the evolution of the poisonous gas will be almost immediate. It might be possible to pour the two containers in together and then use one of the containers to plug the nest entrance quickly. This mixture should pose no long term soil contamination issue.

08-01-2005, 16:08 Post: 114196
brokenarrow

Filter by User
 Hornet help

I have done the fire drill a few times myself, Laughing out loud.
The mixing of chemicals is a good idea, just how do I get it in the hole from , oh.. say 20 feet? The hose trick is still at there entrance, maybe I can pour one into one section of hose and the other into anouther section of this hose. connect the two sections and turn on the water at the third sectoin. This mill force it all into the hole from a safe distance, although it will be diluted a bit it will still be nasty?
Here is the update. Last night I ran a water hose in the nest hole for about an hour. Today when I got home from work I walked out there and saw next to no activity for well over 3 minuits. I decided to flood em again and low and behold, I walk back out there and I see many hornets flying around very angrily! (many meaning about 6 or 7 not a few hundred)_. Was wondering if I am really knocking them down a bit with the combo of sprays and water? I had decided to just flood em every day for a week. I figure sooner or later they are either going to drown,leave for dryer ground or sit in the weeds for the rat that turns on the water every day!
We will see tomaroo, if I see activity then I will try mixing the chemicals. This is more fun than spending $150 and getting it done right away!

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page 1 | [ 2 ] | 3 |      << Prev | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Just For Fun Off Topic Forum

Thread 113980 Filter by Poster:
AC5ZO 4 | alvanko 1 | brokenarrow 11 | DennisCTB 3 | Iowafun 3 | JD855inWI 1 | kwschumm 3 | Murf 2 | ncrunch32 1 | yooperpete 1 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
crunch

Trailers - Can Jeep Cherokee Pull My Tractor
Can Jeep Cherokee Pull My Tractor

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ Joke o the day
+ Vandalism or Civil Matter
+ Merry Christmas
+ -17 degrees F
+ New Implements
+ Colonoscopy Tuesday how did your s go
+ Motorcycles
+ Merry Christmas to all TP Members
+ Youth Christmas Gift Gun