discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Just For Fun Off Topic Forum

Page 1 | 2 | [ 3 ] |      << Prev

08-01-2005, 21:49 Post: 114220
brokenarrow

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Hornet help

Son and I mixed up some bleach and amonia. Half went in one hose half in the other. Ran it just long enough to get it all out and in. Update will come tomarroo.
Thanks all!!!!!

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 08-02-2005, 12:31 Post: 114242
Iowafun

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Hornet help

No, thank you! After reading the posts, I was reminded that I've got some old gas that needs to be disposed of. The gophers have started a come back (moving in from the fields). For giggles, I want to try the gas in the hole trick. It may not kill the gopher, but I'll be happier!

08-02-2005, 20:56 Post: 114264
brokenarrow

Filter by User
 Hornet help

Your NOT going to believe this! I got stung in the back! Just a grazing warning sting (I think) (like I said you wont believe this) NOT from the nest in the back of the back yard! My bride TOLD me to cut the patches of grass that are where the hose's meet (a slight leek from when I water the garden makes for the only green in the neighborhood) I have not cut the lawn since the first week in JUNE! No need NO rain. I was using a push mower around the old fence line that I removed this spring and relocated. It had "T" posts as fence posts for the welded wire fencing. You guessed it! Anouther ground hornet nest. I mowed over the same spot three times consecutively and on the third time I moved the mower back I saw them coming. Leaving the mower in place and running was a good thing as they all consumed the mower except for the one with the right eye that looks left and had a bent wing. For what ever reason he decided to push me a bit faster away and nailed me in the back. YES, I had NO shirt on since it was 87 degree's.
Do you think I got a thank you for cutting these patches of grass? This nest will be no problem. It looks small and I know it only goes down about 10 inches. Besides that I saw only about 25 hornets around the mower. I can handle this one!
Update on the large nest? I see absolutely NO activity around it and plan to investigate this more in the coming days. Makes me wonder if the queen from the other nest decided to relocate after being flooded out twice? More than likely just anouther nest!
I have never had a nest in my yard in 8 years and this year I have 2? I bet you can guess what I will be doing this fall and spring? Filling every hole around with sand and dirt and killing EVERY one of those rotten ass gopher's that I used to get along with!

08-03-2005, 07:44 Post: 114278
yooperpete

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 Hornet help

Running away from bees is a bad thing to do. They will always attack when they got you on the run.

My lab ran past a hive this past weekend and got nailed in the rear leg. It bothered her for a couple of days and she had a fever (warm nose) but she is up to taking treats again.

08-03-2005, 15:48 Post: 114308
brokenarrow

Filter by User
 Hornet help

Sorry to hear that pete. I am sitting at my computer and watching the ground hornets come in and out of the NEW nest. It is about 15 feet from my window and with binoculars I can see every one come and leave. Unless the hot weather toady has something to do about it, I under estimated the amount of hornets in the nest! They come to the nest like planes dropping on an aircraft carrier after a mission and all low on fuel. They are coming and leaving at a rate of 1 every 2-3 seconds!!!! I better hit this nest tonight right away!!!!! Maybe the multiplier is working over time this week.
I am so frusterated with this summer I can not explane! I feel like a prisoner in my own house because of the hornets out back! Anyone know a good shrink? My fenced portion of yard is 100'x220'. In this area I have a large paper hornets nest in the middle top of one of my tree's. That does not bother me, they are cool! Up and out of the way and they seem to never mess with us so I have no problem with them. I also have the hinged yellow and blck wasp under my deck. This is a first (also) I have been nailing them one at a time as they emerge or enter thru the deck boards. Dont know how big that nest is but I have killed about 15 in 4 days now. Anouther hornets nest (same kind) under my kids (old) wood play centre out back. I hit it with spray last week but apparently not good enough so I need to redo it. The ground hornets nest out back seems to be dead (or did they relocate????) Now I have this ground hornets nest right by my house. I did not mention the 2 sheds I have, heavy activity on the one out back by wasp and I have no clue as to where inside that nest is. Bottom line is that I will NOT be going into that shed till the 3rd hard freeze! Laughing out loud.
Paranoid? I think so, but at the same time I have never had this many wasp (no where near this many) at any one time so I may be justified to be a bit cautious.

08-03-2005, 16:37 Post: 114314
AC5ZO

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Hornet help

I grew up in the Midwest. Every year when we would get one piece or another of the farm equipment going, there would be yellow jacket nests. They would get into combines, hay balers, you name it. We actually got used to it to a degree. It seemed that the insects would build in similar places every year. For example, they would have a nest in the twine box of the hay baler every year. We got to where we would just open the box and toss a container of diesel or gasoline if we saw any activity at all. It kills them immediately.

Arrow...I use one of those propane weed burners to deice and to burn tumbleweeds. One of those might work on a shallow nest also. But, you said that it has been very dry there and of course there is a fire potential. If you can use it, the big propane flame will certainly kill and disable the yellow jackets as fast as they can come out of the nest. I guess that the success would depend on the size of the second nest and the number of entrances.

08-03-2005, 17:23 Post: 114318
Murf

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Hornet help

I was talking to an old fella up the road today while I was at the Post Office, I asked him if he had any remedies for wasps or hornets.

Sure enough, he said the easiest way to get them was with spray foam insulation. Wait till well past dark when they're all inside and dormant, then stick the little tube in the nest and give them a good blast.

They're sealed in, guaranteed.

If there's a second entrance it will become evident next day, next night repeat the spraying in the next hole.

The best part he claims is later in the year you can just use a garden fork and dig out the hardened foam and toss it in the garbage.

What did I ever do for conversation and ideas when I lived in the city and had mail dropped in my door?

Best of luck.

08-05-2005, 22:12 Post: 114443
brokenarrow

Filter by User
 Hornet help

Well they lived thru the foam spray that made it look like a shaving creme mess on top of the ground on top of thier hole. I gave them one more good shot tonight of the remaining cans. If they live thru this I will pour a gallon of diesel down the hole! I am done messing around!
Thanks alot guys for all the great ideas!

08-21-2005, 17:42 Post: 115198
alvanko

Hornet help

Sprinkle SEVEN dust in and around the hole. They carry it in with them and it will kill the nest in a day or two. Get a bag at your local flower shop/garden center. It is a powder.

08-21-2005, 18:51 Post: 115209
brokenarrow

Filter by User
 Hornet help

Thanks, read about that method too.
SEE THE BACK YARD THIS FALL. Thats about the next time I am going out to that place! TALK ABOUT UNREAL!!!! Your not going to believe me AGAIN! I wear glasses and can barely see thru these scratched up things right? Wrong! From 50 yards away, looking at the filtered light coming thru tree's(the sun that is low in the sky right now 6.30 pm I am looking at a shed I have way outback. I see little darts flying towards the door and disapearing. Of course the first thing I think of is hornets! I walk back there and count 10 flying in and 7 OUT in 15 seconds. I will bet you that I do not open that door till about November!!! How much you all want to bet? Laughing out loud I should really go get a better look at em though. On friday my new neighbor was starting his garage and a swarm of (the good guys) honey bee's took up resisdence in a tree right where he was staring his building. He told me that he hoped they moved on by Sat. morn. (Which they did) I actually like the honey bee's. I wont kill oe of their nests since they seem to be on the decline around here and pollination of many apple tree's depends so much on thos critters. Like I said, I should go get a better look at what is going in and out of that shed. Wonder if that swarm found a new place to start a hive? Here is a fact. Just to prove that I am not crapping you all. Come Nov. first (remember this guys) I will go out open that shed up and take a picture of the nest in there. If it is he hornets, I would bet you it is going to be an impressive paper nest!
YUK!!!! I hate hornets so darn much its frightening! Never never have I ever had a year like this one! Look back at last years posts (of mine) You never heard me fear them like you here me this year. WHY? because this is the year from hell for me with flying stinging little crappers!.
OOPS Looks like this should of gone in hostile and useless? Sorry,

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page 1 | 2 | [ 3 ] |      << Prev

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Just For Fun Off Topic Forum

Thread 113980 Filter by Poster:
AC5ZO 4 | alvanko 1 | brokenarrow 11 | DennisCTB 3 | Iowafun 3 | JD855inWI 1 | kwschumm 3 | Murf 2 | ncrunch32 1 | yooperpete 1 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
DennisCTB

Current Events - House Fire Near Me
House Fire Near Me

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ Joke o the day
+ Vandalism or Civil Matter
+ Merry Christmas
+ -17 degrees F
+ New Implements
+ Colonoscopy Tuesday how did your s go
+ Merry Christmas to all TP Members
+ Youth Christmas Gift Gun
+ What is your self-worth