discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Just For Fun Off Topic Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 08-25-2007, 01:04 Post: 145000
candoarms

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 OLIVER 1900 FWD

Hello friends,

I'm wondering if anyone here might have any experience with the Oliver 1900 Wheatland tractor?

There's one coming up for auction that I have my eye on. It has an early 1960s model with the 4-53 Detroit Diesel engine, rated at 89 horses, and the tractor weighs in at 12,000 pounds! This one comes equipped with dual remote hydraulics, 3pt. hitch, 540 RPM PTO, and 4-Wheel drive......no loader.

Being that I live in an area in which Oliver never had any dealerships, I have no experience with the brand. My area is largely Case IH, John Deere, and more recently, New Holland country.

I'm very interested in this tractor, mainly because it is small and HEAVY. This would be a fantastic snow removal tractor, as well as a heavy puller. At 12,000 pounds, I don't believe I'd have any problem with a lack of traction in the snow.

For anyone who might be interested, here's a photo.

See the link below.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Joel

Link:   OLIVER 1900 MFWD -- See Lot# 43 

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 08-25-2007, 02:13 Post: 145001
candoarms

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 OLIVER 1900 FWD

I have some new information on this beast.

If I understand things correctly, the Oliver 1900 had a two-stroke, turbo-charged diesel. The sound this engine makes when under power is something that takes a lot of getting used to, as it's apparently very noisy.

Additionally, due to it's extreme weight and high horsepower, it was able to pull an 8-bottom plow.......even without the 4-wheel drive option.

Depending on the feedback I receive from my friends here, I believe I'll have one of these Oliver 1900s parked in my barn within a year or two.

Can't wait to see how well it does at the local tractor pull competition! hehehe.

Joel

08-26-2007, 11:05 Post: 145032
Art White

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 OLIVER 1900 FWD

Joel, in our area they were only good for five bottoms at the most normally. The GM diesel is extremely noisy and a loader if new would be around 7500.

08-26-2007, 11:59 Post: 145035
earthwrks

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 OLIVER 1900 FWD

Hope you don't have your eye on it anymore, 'cause it sold for $14500.

08-26-2007, 12:14 Post: 145036
candoarms

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 OLIVER 1900 FWD

Art,

Thanks for the info. I'd like to hear that engine run. hehehe.

The tractor I was looking at sold at auction for $14,500. At the last minute, the loader was offered as a separate item. It sold for $2500. I was unable to outbid my competitors. Dang it.

I'm looking for a very heavy tractor, but not too big in overall size. The Oliver 1900 seems about right for me, but I'm willing to consider any tractor that's built like a tank.

Do you know of any similar tractors that you would recommend?

The piece of land I purchased is full of metal, such as car bodies, frames, axles, engine blocks, huge pieces of broken concrete, railroad ties, utility poles, bundles of wire, etc.....and everything is buried under piles of other such debris and garbage.

In the many years since the previous owner used this place as a garbage pit, it has all grown over with several feet of grass and weed roots.

To this point in time, I've been digging up piece by piece, and then pulling the stuff out of the ground using a cable, chains, and other heavy rigging tackle attached to my old pickup, over "A" frames built out of old railroad switching ties. It's working, but it's a slow process.

I'd like to speed up the process a bit, by simply using a tractor with forks on the loader. but any tractor is going to have to be a heavy bugger.

I'm looking for suggestions. Any old tractor with lots of weight and good power is needed. Preferably 4-wheel drive.

The Oliver 1900's weight (12,000) pounds is what I'm looking for, but I'm not fussy as to make or model. An excavator is out of the question, as I have plans to put this tractor to use breaking up some native grassland that has a lot of rocks in it. I'd like to pull a ripper behind this tractor at some point in the future.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks.

Joel

08-26-2007, 13:40 Post: 145040
earthwrks

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 OLIVER 1900 FWD

Joel I'm partial to big skidsteers and what they can do mainly 'cause I have one (I have a Ford 2000 with a loader FOR SALE too, and a mid size backhoe). The one shown in my avitar to the left I have used to clear debris, concrete slabs, whole trees, motorhomes, mobile homes, and cars cleaning up Katrina for FEMA on the Coast. It will reach
10'-1" as much as a 4-yard Cat frontend loader.
Among some of the attachments I have is a grapple bucket and pallet forks. Steel over-the-tire tracks make nearly unstoppable. When I'm de-rooting land I'll use the forks to skim the ground like a rake.

A small dozer with a root rake would do fine too, or a rear scarifier. But I think the pallet forks might work just as well or better as you can dig stuff out and move and load it too.

About 10 years ago Bobcat made a huge, 900-series, 14,000lb. machine (mine weighs 8,000) that you can sometimes find cheap as they are orphans in the construction world (too heavy and large to be practical). BUUUUUT you can also find with them with full-size 14' backhoes too (FYI: None of the attachments fits anything other than the Bobcat 900 series) I've seen backhoes for it go for less than $2000 on eBay because nobody wants them. Bobcat made a rear mounted, hydraulically operated scarifier for it too---about 8' wide or better.

08-26-2007, 15:09 Post: 145041
candoarms

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 OLIVER 1900 FWD

Earthwrks,

Many thanks for the info and the ideas. I'll keep your comments in mind as I look for a used machine to do this hard work.

I will need to put about 100 hours on the machine, which rules out renting anything.

Something in a reasonable price range would be good, so that I can resell it when I'm done using it. If I take a small loss on the resale, I'll still be way ahead of the rental cost. I thought it might be easier to resell a rubber wheeled tractor, than a bulldozer, but I won't rule out even a D-5 Cat.

I still like the Oliver 1900, but I'll keep my eyes open for something with a similar size and weight. And if I can find a used 900 series Bobcat, I'll surely consider buying it. I know of one in use about 9 miles from me, but it's not for sale. It is a heavy tractor. It will lift some incredible weight.

Joel

08-26-2007, 15:26 Post: 145042
candoarms

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 OLIVER 1900 FWD

Earthwrks,

I forgot to ask you about the Ford 2000. It is advertised somewhere where I can see a picture of it, such as tractorhouse.com?

If I remember correctly, the Ford 2000 was a fairly heavy machine. I might be able to get by with something in that size and weight, as I'm really getting tired of digging most of this stuff out by hand.

My little Kubota works great for hauling the chains, cables, jacks, and other material handling goods to and from the junk pile, but it's far too small for this project. I had it out there just once, and used it to haul about 40 wheels and tires out of the junk pile, along with a number of intake manifolds, engine blocks, and gear boxes. Everything else is just too big for the little Kubota.

Tell ya what though, I'd like to meet the man who had this place before me. A dark alley would be a real good meeting place. hehehe.

Joel

08-26-2007, 19:49 Post: 145051
earthwrks

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 OLIVER 1900 FWD

Joel, the 2000 is a bigger type machine I have pictures of it but not uploaded to the net--if you're interested I can do that. It's a former college grounds machine. Believe it's a 1969 model year. It has a Ford factory loader (which needs a front pump--we have the old one--splines are bad and coupler slips), Ford 8' scraper blade. No ROPS. Rear turf tires (bigguns!), ran very well (no smoke) when we parked it less than three years ago. It belongs to my buddy which paid $6500 in '97 but says he will take $4000 (I do all his dirt work now). There is a 6' landscape rake available for $250 which has seen only a few hours on it (used to be mine). It's located off just north of Monroe, Mich.

08-26-2007, 22:04 Post: 145055
candoarms

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 OLIVER 1900 FWD

Earthwrks,

Thanks for the information. I'm still considering whether or not I want to make the trip. Not sure I want to go that far for a tractor.

Still, I'd like to see it. I figure it might be around until next Spring.....if I'm lucky.

I have a daughter who's expecting her first child in Feb. She lives in southern Minnesota. Maybe I can schedule a trip sometime after the snow melts, in May, to see the new grandbaby, my daughter, and the Ford 2000. From here to Monroe, MI, according to Google Maps, it's more than 1100 miles, one way.

If you get some pictures posted, please let me know.

Many thanks for the help.

Joel

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Just For Fun Off Topic Forum

Thread 145000 Filter by Poster:
Art White 4 | candoarms 8 | Chief 1 | earthwrks 4 | hardwood 1 | kthompson 1 | Murf 2 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
DennisCTB

Subaru - 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek vs CRV and RAV4 Review
2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek vs CRV and RAV4 Review

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ Joke o the day
+ Vandalism or Civil Matter
+ Merry Christmas
+ -17 degrees F
+ Colonoscopy Tuesday how did your s go
+ New Implements
+ Merry Christmas to all TP Members
+ Youth Christmas Gift Gun
+ What is your self-worth