discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Landscape Design Forum

Page 1 | 2 | [ 3 ] |      << Prev

04-27-2004, 17:48 Post: 84513
trbomax

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 ditch retaining wall construction

Thanks ! I'm going to do some serious research on this.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 04-27-2004, 21:39 Post: 84537
beagle

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

If the water is moving, you need to get the bottom of the wall below the sediment bed of the creek, or the bed will erode out from the bottom of the wall. You also need embedment at the bottom of the wall to resolve the tie back force at the top, otherwise the bottom of the wall fails, ( pushes out ). For embedment, you should have at least as much in the soil as the height of the retaining wall.

If you are at the water table, jetting 5" cedar posts into the ground with a water jet is a simple and fast way to set the structure of the wall. For a water jet, use a 10' piece of 3/4' pipe on a 2" pump. The water jet will blow the hole as quickly as you drop the post into it. The challenge is holding the post in place until the soil sets the post after you remove the jet. Once the posts are set, use the stringers at 2' centers vertically as you described. I then use galvanized barn sheeting( about $.50 / sq ft ) and again jetted it in behind the stringers. Cap the whole thing off with treated 2 x 8's.

The setback of your deadmen is deternined by the height of the wall and the angle of repose of the backfill soil. As a rule of thumb, come back from the wall at least as far as the wall is high above the bottom of the ditch and then add as necessary to make sure your deadmen are in virgin soil. There are two types of deadmen depending on how they develop their resisitance to movement. You can use passive earth pressure, or depend on the contact area of the deadman against movement. You don't need a lot of mass, just a large contact area to resist movement. Often, a continuous ditch is dug along the setback distance and filled with concrete and 2 rows of no.4 bars. Tie the posts back with rebar or stainless wire rope. It is good to slightly pre-stess the tie backs before backfilling, otherwise the posts could move until the tie back is stressed. The other type is mass. Dig a hole the proper distance back and fill with concrete. Add a 3/4" stainless ring with 8" of embedment in the concrete.

To calculate the tie back force at the top of the wall, it can be approximated by the following:

P (force/ft of wall)=[(height x width) / 2] x 125lbs/cu.ft.
This resultant force is applied to the wall by the retained soil about 1/3 down from the top of the wall. This is the ideal elevation for the tie-backs. This is per foot of wall, so multiply this by your post spacing for your tie back force.

Height... is the height of the retained soil
Width.... is the width of the retained soil, which is dependant on the angle of repose. Assume 45 degrees conservatively, and the width is 75% of the height.

Looks like a mess at first, but you need to hold back the weight of a wedge of soil. Keep in mind that any vertical loads along the wall will result in additional horizontal reactions on the wall. Add 30% to the tie back force for any vertical loads along the wall. Add a good geo-fabric behind the wall before backfilling to allow water to pass through but not soil. You want to avoid building any hydraulic pressure behind the wall.

04-28-2004, 11:42 Post: 84593
trbomax

Filter by User

Exelent information ! how long will the steel sideing last ? Why cedar posts instead of treated 4x4? On the subject of steel against treated wood, Ive always been told not to do it since the metals in the treatment cause accelerated corrosion where the wood contacts the steel.

04-28-2004, 12:44 Post: 84597
beagle

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

In many places, treated wood is not allowed in waterway contruction. Cedar will hold up extremely well without warping, twisting, or rotting. It will also not leak toxins into the waterway. The galvanized barn siding should last at least 20 years. We haven't replaced any for the past 15. You are right about treated wood and metal. The posts and stringers are cedar. The treated cap won't effect the siding.

This makes for a nice looking wall, and are pretty easy and cost effective to construct. At last years material prices, they were running about $9/ft.

Good luck

04-28-2004, 12:45 Post: 84598
beagle

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

In many places, treated wood is not allowed in waterway contruction. Cedar will hold up extremely well without warping, twisting, or rotting. It will also not leak toxins into the waterway. The galvanized barn siding should last at least 20 years. We haven't replaced any for the past 15. You are right about treated wood and metal. The posts and stringers are cedar. The treated cap won't effect the siding.

This makes for a nice looking wall, and are pretty easy and cost effective to construct. At last years material prices, they were running about $9/ft.

Good luck

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page 1 | 2 | [ 3 ] |      << Prev

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Landscape Design Forum

Thread 84213 Filter by Poster:
beagle 3 | blizzard 2 | grassgod 1 | hardwood 2 | kwschumm 1 | Murf 4 | TomG 1 | trbomax 10 | yooperpete 1 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
DennisCTB

Health - Getting in Shape for Spring Foods to Eat and those to Avoid
Getting in Shape for Spring Foods to Eat and those to Avoid

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ Mulch Of Choice
+ bridge for Island
+ Need advice on building a privacy barrier w dwarf
+ What can I put along the foundation of A pole buil
+ Short Moss Rock Retaining Walls
+ fencing
+ Privacy fences
+ Is My Retaining Wall Level
+ Help for a Newbie