discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Electric Forum

Page 1 | [ 2 ] |      << Prev

02-02-2002, 06:19 Post: 35201
TomG

TP Contributor

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Best way to wire rewire my barn

Another 'yes and no.'

The yes is that if I didn't have substantial past electronic and residential wiring experience, contracting the work might be a good idea. It takes quite a bit of study to have much of a chance of getting work passed. I’ve done the work as a homeowner more than once, and all my work gets inspected.

My point is that what is correct is not absolute and objective, it’s what an inspector will pass. Codes vary a bit in N.A., but codes also are interpreted by inspectors who often have choices of which codes to apply or to allow variances. Electrical and building inspectors are the closest thing to absolute monarchs left in the west. A good relationship with the inspector is everything. What I've found is that inspectors like homeowners--provided a homeowner's work is basically sound. You don't want to waste an inspector's time with poor work or dump questions. An aggravated inspector can make life unbearable.

My contractor story happened to a neighbour when I was still in the city. A new owner converted the house to rental and wanted to upgrade the service to 200A and divide some branch circuits. The guy took an astoundingly low bid and had the work done. Somebody came out and did the branch circuit work, and replaced a 100A panel (wired behind an old separate main breaker) with a 200A combination panel) and called it a 200A service. A week or so later an inspector wasn't at all happy. The job wasn't as bad as it sounds because the old breaker with its cartridge fuses was still there. However, the inspector said 'no way 40 breaker slots on 100A service line will fly.' The guy was lucky the inspector didn't shut the house down. The panel couldn’t simply be torn out and replaced with the 100A panel because the branch circuit work used more breaker slots. Instead, the guy to'd 'n froed' with the contractor trying to get a deal on the real 200A service. I don't know exactly how it turned out, but I'm certain he spent some money unexpectedly. I wouldn’t have had the problem, because I would have call the inspector beforehand and told him what I wanted to do, and he would have said ‘NO!’

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 02-02-2002, 08:42 Post: 35207
Peters

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

What I am trying to point out is that Gary is doing the right thing trying to understand the job before he needs to have it completed.
I have always done this with the small amount of auto mechnics work I pay for. People have tried to flim flam me about 40% of the time.
Electrical contractor are no different. If there is a good insector and codes are tight then there is little that they can get away with. If not or he is over worked the look out.
As a home owner we do not normally know the inspector or his reputation.
Believe me my new house was not wired correctly, nor was the barn, nor was the old house nor is the old barn. None of these are even close. As these were all different electrical contractors in the area. What do you conclude?
I say you need to have a working knowledge of what needs to be done and then call the contractor and watch him. Bravo Gary.

02-03-2002, 08:35 Post: 35233
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User

Yep, pretty much my point too. Everybody can make mistakes through ignorance or just cutting corners. Homeowners doing wiring, contractors and even inspectors and ‘wiring made simple’ books make mistakes. Inspectors are the good guys in my experience, and I'd include most contractors along with the good guys too. If I had to make some bad guys, I'd say it's the homeowners and friends who do their own wiring without permits or inspections. There's some incredibly bad stuff around here, and I'd guess Peter's barn etc. probably was done by amateurs.

The main thing about contractors and codes is that contractors are going to make more money working to code than by cutting corners, because more materials and labour is needed. There's really not a motivation (other than just plain fraud, which I don't think is all that common) for a contractor to do sub-standard work.

Even so, it's good for homeowners to know a bit about the work. Some of the 'wiring made simple' book are pretty good. What works for me is to take out permits, and then plan using one of the 'simple' books. The permit means I can call the inspector for clarification (just not too many questions or dumb how to's). I figure the inspectors have saved me money by pointing out that some things in the books are based on outdated or excessive code interpretations.

What is important to realize is that ultimately homeowners have responsibility for condition of their property and liability for damages resulting for sub-standard or poorly maintained equipment. Contractors and the inspection agency share in that liability, but ultimately owners or their insurance pay first. Owners who were aware, or should have been aware, of hazards on their property can find themselves in uncomfortable chats with their insurance companies. Actually, I view inspections as cheap insurance. There’s every reason to take out permits and get work inspected whether a homeowner or a contractor does the work.

02-03-2002, 19:22 Post: 35255
Gary in Indiana

Filter by User

For what it's worth, I've personally always been a fan of the various building trade inspectors. I've done a fair amount of work in the various trades myself over the years on my homes and rental properties I've had.

I even recall an inspector examining a new meter box installation and pointing out one small piece of wire that was the wrong gauge. He asked if I had the right wire there and, when I told him I didn't even have a screwdriver with me this inspector went to his trunk, got a screwdriver and small piece of the right wire and put it in for me except for the last quarter turn. He handed me the screwdriver and told me to to that because he wasn't "allowed to do this." He saved me another trip there and a $25 (back then) 're-inspection fee.'

For my money, those guys are a tremendous asset. Personally, I like the idea of having my work checked out by a professional before I close it up.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page 1 | [ 2 ] |      << Prev

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Electric Forum

Thread 34795 Filter by Poster:
B.wood 2 | Gary in Indiana 3 | Mike A 1 | Peters 4 | TomG 4 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
DennisCTB

Current Events - House Fire Near Me
House Fire Near Me

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ Hanging Ceiling Fan in Great room
+ Back-up power
+ need a 110V winch
+ trouble shooting
+ Underground Elec - direct-burial vs in conduit
+ Underground Wiring
+ pole barn sub panel
+ Tapping in to Well Electric
+ Better common light bulbs