discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Alternate Electric Energy Forum

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [ 5 ] |      << Prev

09-22-2007, 08:19 Post: 145970
Hettric

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster
 Windmills for electricity

Murf
How do the multi fuel stoves handle loose sawdust? Is there a hopper? sounds very messy to handle/load, and quite possably a fire hazard. I have a woodworking shop and would love to figure out how to burn the loose dry sawdust/fine chips I generate along with scraps.
Thanks

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 09-22-2007, 11:39 Post: 145972
Lwayne

Murf: NIMBY is a prevalent frame of mind for certain. But with the poor farm econmy a lot of farmers are looking for outside sources of income. Many of them would like to receive a rent check regularly for something like that just sitting in their field or pasture. My neighbor retired from an electric utility and tells me the real problem with them up to now is they have to over-saturate in the building phase to accomodate for the unstable nature of wind to produce a reliable amount of energy.

09-22-2007, 12:06 Post: 145973
kleinchris

Filter by User

About 15 years ago I lived in South Park, Colorad. There were quite a few homes way out on the fringes of the basin which had individual windmills which I imagine would power somekind of battery system which could be tranformed into 110 and 220. Anybody here have any kind of experience with a small system like this?
Sidenote: South Park is a windy place- roads and snow fences go hand in hand. Also, parts of this basin were 30 plus miles away any kind of town- and being 15 years ago, cell phones were not an option- or if they were, you would not get a signal in most of the area. Point being, you could lose power out there for days with out anybody knowing about it.

09-25-2007, 11:19 Post: 146056
Murf

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Hettric, for loose material there is a hopper that is set down into the fire box, but the key to the Seodre stove is that the fire burns horizontally (to a point), not vertically.

The draft is arranged in such a way as to make the fire burn cross-wise, and the smoke to go to the back and up, this means the material directly above the fire, in a V-shaped hopper, is exposed to the heat and drying air flow of the fire for a period just before it hits the fire itself. This dries the material so fast that you can put damp sawdust or green wood directly into the fire.

Depending on how much sawdust you have to deal with, you may want to consider making either fire starters, or fuel blocks from the sawdust.

For fire starters all you need is a package of small paper cups and some paraffin wax. Saturate the sawdust in the paraffin in an old pot, wring it out pretty good wearing a rubber glove and pack it into the paper cups. To start a fire you put one cup in the pile of wood and light it like a candle.

For fuel blocks you do the same thing, but make the blocks bigger, a hardwood mould the size of a brick works well, and use far less paraffin, just barely enough to stick it together, use a small jack in a press or a couple of good clamps to hold it till it hardens.

Best of luck.

09-25-2007, 11:46 Post: 146061
yooperpete

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Sorry about drifting away from the original topic. The market for corn as a heating source has slowed substantially and pellets have emerged as the new trend. Corn prices have risen due to ethanol production and many like myself have found that corn as a heating source really sucked. It was dirty, required lots of cleanup and was not consistent. Pellets on the otherhand burn hotter and cleaner. Several pellet producing plants have been put on line here in Michigan over the past year and pellet prices are dropping. When the craze started for corn burning stoves, a local company started up and called itself the "Kernel Burner". They were the largest seller of corn stoves in the area. Now about 4 years later, they are selling primarly pellet stoves.

08-24-2012, 22:46 Post: 184726
kleinchris

Filter by User

Its been about five/six years since this post was started. Technology has imporoved, and prices have come down... Im wondering if anybody has any experience with something like this package sold at Northern Tools:

Link:   Northen Tool Wind Turbine 

08-31-2012, 08:53 Post: 184769
hardwood

TP Contributor

Filter by User

Kleinchris;

I don't have any exprience with any wind turbines. My first thoughts about the Northern tool unit are that it seems a bit complicated to me by dealing with multiple voltages that I assume will change automacly. Does it mean your whole house/all needs, would have to be converted to 12 volt plus have a transformer to reduce line power to 12 volt too?
I wouldn't tackle this without talking to at least a couple other people who have bought this unit.

Frank.

08-31-2012, 19:37 Post: 184774
cutter

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Next week begins my solar project with the installation of an array of panels to produce 7.3 KW.

I researched and have been involved with windmills for some time and the reality is you need to be very young and have plenty of funding from big brother to make those anywhere near a payoff prior to kicking the bucket as it pertains to a residential generator.

As for the large commercial generators, again, taxpayers fund those things one way or another otherwise we would not be many of them either.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [ 5 ] |      << Prev

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Alternate Electric Energy Forum

Thread 145168 Filter by Poster:
Art White 1 | candoarms 5 | cutter 3 | earthwrks 1 | hardwood 7 | Hettric 1 | ihookem 1 | kleinchris 3 | kthompson 4 | kwschumm 3 | Lwayne 1 | mobilus 2 | Murf 5 | pelletfarmer 6 | SG8NUC 1 | yooperpete 4 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
brewdog

Site Members - brewdog - NW PA - NH 3040  Woods Hoe  Woods Mower  Woods Brush Hog
brewdog - NW PA - NH 3040 Woods Hoe Woods Mower Woods Brush Hog

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ Windmills for electricity
+ Geothermal heating cooling
+ Solar battery chargers for equipment
+ The Green Fad
+ Air condition is consuming more energy
+ Foundation and PEX instalation

Most Discussion

+ Windmills for electricity
+ Solar battery chargers for equ