discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Current Events Forum

Page 1 | 2 | [ 3 ] | 4 |      << Prev | Next >>

12-08-2005, 12:43 Post: 120682
Iowafun

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster
 Hornet help

Barrow - that'll teach ya to not look where you step!! I usually look down when I enter my buildings but then I've opened them up before and had interesting things like snakes in there. Enough of those and you start to consider watching special forces movies and entering your outbuildings with a shotgun at the ready.

Actually, I about did that once. In my last house, I was going to look up in the attic. I had opened the hatch and was just about to poke my head through when I heard something hissing at me. That was not cool!! Especially since there was no light up there. I went and bought a live trap. I had a .45 semi-auto on the top of the ladder as I put the trap up there without sticking my head up there. I would have been ok with patching holes in the roof as long as nothing attacked my head.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 12-08-2005, 15:18 Post: 120689
wildbill34

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Hornet help

Brokenarrow,

I haven't seen them select one over the other due to gas. It is mostly the luck of the draw where they start their nests.(depends a lot on where the female overwinters) I have seen them in just about every conceivable area possible. I have had sheds that didn't have them for years and then all of the sudden they show up a couple of years in a row. Then disappear again for years.

12-14-2005, 21:47 Post: 121088
brokenarrow

Filter by User
 Hornet help

One thing I have noticed over 20 years is that they do not like the Arsinic treated wood (the old green pressure treatment). I have had tree stands for over 20 years and never once have I found a nest under one of them. I have had 3-4 stands that were built with plain old untreated plywood and 2x6's and sure enough their is almost always a nest under those. Dont know if its shear luck or if the arsinic has something to do with it. Also I notice my old dog NEVR laid down on my arsinic treated wood deck? Dont know if it had something to do with it or not.
Here is my newest idea's on controlling these little basturds. This spring I plan to trap as many of the early flying females as I can. (after early spring I think it is futile to continue trapping since all of them are just servants of the nest then.) I also plan (and tell what you think of this idea) to drill a round 1 ince hole in the top of this shed. Attatch a hose adaptor and attach a 10' long hose to it. (enough so I can reach it from the ground) Seal up around the hole and then wait till summer! Laughing out loud HA HA After I know there is a nest in there I will use the hose to administer that fogger that kills these little pollinating loving little friends of plants.
This will be more FUN than anything! It also assures me of being able to get in this shed with out having a minor cardiac arrest. Whatcha think of that idea?
By the way? Did I tell you I just love this this time of year? 10 inches of snow and not one hornet.

Last thing. Have you ever noticed this? I left a nest from the year before in the peak of my house last year there were NO new hornets that made a nest in that spot? Is this because of the old unused nest there?

12-21-2005, 20:33 Post: 121521
Carldarnell

Hornet help

We rented a house that had not been lived in for a while. When it can time to cut the grass I started in on it. In short order I ran over a spot where a nest of large yellow jackets nested in the ground. I left the mower on top the spot and went for the gas can. You could hear the little buggers getting hit by the blade. I jerked the mower back and dumped a gallon of gas on the hole. Then I took a wad of paper, set it on fire and from a distance tossed it on the hole. WHOOOOMP, ball of fire, end of bees.

12-21-2005, 22:18 Post: 121525
brokenarrow

Filter by User
 Hornet help

I betcha they just got ALL stirred up by the mower vibrating their nest eh?

12-22-2005, 08:57 Post: 121542
kwschumm

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 Hornet help

Most (all?) hornets and wasps won't reuse nests from one year to the next. In the late fall the females leave the nests to find a place to stay for the winter. In the spring they come out and always find a new place to start a brood. Baiting (not trapping) in the spring seems to work very well here. We used to hate going outdoors in the late summer but now there is rarely a yellow jacket to be found.

12-24-2005, 20:44 Post: 121673
Deereman

Filter by User
 Hornet help

Brokenarrow, This may be too late, I've tried all the spray and such, but you never seem to get them all, and also contaminate the soil. What I've found to be the best(not for every application) is to set-up you shop vac out there with the hose just a few inches form the hole and let run it run all day. You will suck them up...comming and going!HTH.

12-28-2005, 16:07 Post: 121836
kthompson

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Hornet help

Carl,

The thought of the blade hitting those innocent little loveable creatures just seems heartless. No doubt there will be hornet huggers out in your yard next summer. If I were you I would let them hug all of them. (does make you wonder where all the hornet huggers are)

Deereman,

With the vac, do you suggest bagless or the bag type? Just find it confussing listening to those vac infomercials. I gather the hand held model is not the one you suggest.

After you vacuumed them, when you turned off the vac, did they not fly back out? It would seem they could with my shop vac. It sure is open to. But it is also make to blow. What a dumb idea too. You suck dust in the hose and then use that hose to blow to clean something?

kt

12-29-2005, 01:53 Post: 121857
Deereman

Filter by User
 Hornet help

Kt,

Just use a bagless shopvac. I've eliminated a half a dozen nests this way. Actually you can be crouched down next to the hole and hold the hose, as they are flying in and out, you just suck them up. Or just lay the hose next to the hole, and within a couple of hours....you have them all! I use a big 20gal shop vac(clean filter for max suction,very importantSmile~ anyways, most of them are dead, in shock, or very dis-orentated. Probably from the terminal velocity they reach in the hose, just before they hit the baffle. I dump them in the fire pit. You could suck up some "Sevin", tape off the hose, and let set a few days, I guess.

03-01-2006, 22:37 Post: 125382
brokenarrow

Filter by User
 Hornet help

Deereman
Hear that???????
Thats my knees shaking! Crouch next to a nest with a vibrating shop vac? Laughing out loud From what I read, vibrations in the nest is the number one thing that makes them get aggresive. I had all I could do to walk up to within 3 feet of the nest at night! Yes I am a pansy!

KWSCHUMM
Baiting and trapping? I had planned to make a massive attempt this spring on these lines. What your detailed suggestions? I see plenty of the hornet traps but what is baiting? (Baiting may increase CWD ya know? ) Inside joke you need to be from Wi. to know what I am saying)
What do you "bait with" and how? Thanks

BTW
I have new neighbors to the south of me this last year
and they done some massive clean up all year in their back yard. The last guy was a friggin pack rat and I wonder if all the cleaning up of debri had something to do with my
""New Found Friends" making my yard a massive breeding ground. Remember I had never had a ground nest in the 8 years prior in my yard down here?

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page 1 | 2 | [ 3 ] | 4 |      << Prev | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Current Events Forum

Thread 113989 Filter by Poster:
091755 1 | alvanko 1 | brokenarrow 6 | Carldarnell 1 | Deereman 2 | Iowafun 1 | kthompson 5 | kwschumm 1 | lamarbur 1 | Larry D. 1 | lbrown59 1 | Nickalus 1 | oneace 1 | Peters 3 | wildbill34 6 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
DennisCTB

Subaru - 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek vs CRV and RAV4 Review
2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek vs CRV and RAV4 Review

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ guns for self defense
+ Problem Poster
+ women AHHHHH
+ America The Greatest Country on Earth
+ Neighbor easement problem
+ Weddings
+ Tuff Cop
+ My job just went offshore
+ Dealing PROPERLY with a terrorist O