discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Dodge Pickup Trucks Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 05-01-2002, 12:48 Post: 38014
Duramax
2002-05-01 12:48:36
 Dodge Duramax

Ive been looking into the new duramax,I found out that ford and dodge will be updating their 2003 diesel trucks,I heard that navastar is building a 6.0 power stroke to replace the 7.3,Dodge is still going to use the cummings with a different injection system which should quiet it down a bit,any thoughts? 2003 release dates???

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 05-02-2002, 08:20 Post: 38054
Peters

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Dodge Duramax

As Ford bought Cummings some time ago. I had heard that Ford was going to use the Cummings. I have seen nothing in writing.

05-02-2002, 10:08 Post: 38059
DRankin

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Dodge Duramax

Look carefully at the transmission specs and make sure you get the heaviest one available and a tranny cooler. My brother-in-law has a Dodge Pick-up that is about 8 years old and he is on his 4th transmission.

05-02-2002, 19:10 Post: 38081
ob1kubota

Dodge Duramax

My post 2 posts got combined into 1,I hear what you saying about the dodge which is now out of the quiestion for me,Im 2 months the new model is coming out im sure it will be good but as with most new auto models,their always issues,recalls ect,Im now a day or two away from a purchase,came very close today with a chevy with a duramax and auto,it is a very sweet set up,Im alittle concerned with the reliability I did some on line research their were alot of positive things said,also their share of proublems,injection pumps,fuel systems,cam gear proublems,ball joint and a few other idems,maybe that is just a handfull who post their proublems and maybe their are 98% out their with no proublems I was hoping this post would bring out the duramax owners to post on them,So at this point it leaves ford,the similarly equiped diesel 4x4 both with rebates priced 3800 less and that is with seriour price reductions and rebates on the both of them

05-02-2002, 20:30 Post: 38085
Peters

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Dodge Duramax

I have the 2000 Dodge 3500 quad cab. I drove the Dodge and a Ford crew cab back to back at the time I bought it. The dealer was Ford, Dodge and GM.
The Cummins definately has more clatter on the out side but I liked the noise better on the inside. I went with the Dodge mainly due to the fact I did not want the old twin I beam for the road. If I was buying four wheel drive I would have gone for the Ford as it was the better deal, option for option.
If you are buying a large truck for pulling why are you considering an automatic? Part of the advantage of the diesel is the brake horse power in the motor. I would not be without it for hills.
I personally would not go for a Duramax. I guess I am like the semi owner, I am not going to invest in an unproven motor, especially in a company with GM's track record.
Would I pay 3800 extra for the risk?
Here the 3-4 year old GMC and Chev Diesels are about 4 K to 5 K less than the Dodge or Ford.Where is the value?

05-07-2002, 09:26 Post: 38250
Todd Wilson

Filter by User
 Dodge Duramax

Ford had some owner ship at one time with Cummins for diesels for Fords tractor line. At no time did they want to get the Cummins for their trucks. There was a page on Cummins web site talking about this a while back.

The "New" Dodge 2500 and 3500 trucks will be out this year and will be a new truck with a lot of the proven mechanics. Same Cummins Diesel with more power. Transmissions have got better since 1994.

We have dicussed transmissions on DiRT many times. Bottom line is its usually the driver that kills the transmission not craftsmanship.

Drivers with Auto's or Manuals usually pull in OVERDRIVE which is the #1 killer of a transmission in any brand of truck.

They also tend to OVERLOAD their trucks and expect them to keep going is not going to happen either.

Also they tend to drive them too hard. I've always been told take off nice and easy and smooth and let the truck do its job and you wont tear anything up. Put your foot into it with a 10000lb trailer behind and the Cummins will put the tranny to its grave.

Also lots of times people dont get the right truck for the job. If you are gonna pull trailers day in and day out and want and auto get a 4.10 gear. If you are gonna pull once a month or the camper on vacation a few times a year you can get by with the 3.54. Shut the OD off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you are gonna grossly overload your truck and generally abuse it get the manual tranny and 4.10.

I know some of you will say I used to have a such and such year + make of a truck and I overloaded it and abused it and never had any problems and so on...........

We all know things arent built as heavy as they used to be built but the #1 thing (Here it is again) you didnt have an OD tranmission!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Todd

05-07-2002, 09:34 Post: 38251
Todd Wilson

Filter by User
 Dodge Duramax

Also the "New" Ram has already been out for a year in the 1500 series so any recalls and problems most likely will have been smoothed out by the time the big trucks are out. The Cummins Engine is proven and is used in many different applications. Not just the Ram. In those applications it is producing WAY more power thenin the Ram. Its tuned down for the Ram and they just keep tuning up a notch or 2 for the Ram. Most of the "new" ram is already proven and reliable. There are a handful of Allison 6 speed trannys in some of the 2000 Rams working just fine. Allison has been around for a long time and th Cummins and Allison trannys have been in MotorHomes and the Medium Duty big trucks for years.

Todd

05-07-2002, 17:05 Post: 38270
cutter

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Dodge Duramax

The standard engine in the new HD Dodge is a 300HP Hemi engine. I wish it had been available when I bought mine. The thoughts about the OD transmission and axle ratios when towing are accurate as you stated, although they did have a bad seal in the earlier transmissions that created a malfunction (according to my brother in law who works at a Dodge dealership). There was a re-designed for later models and the problem is gone now.

05-07-2002, 18:37 Post: 38278
Todd Wilson

Filter by User
 Dodge Duramax

I'm looking forward to seeing how the Hemi will do. I am not impressed with its power #'s though. The HP is impressive but the torque is 365lbs feet of torque. Way low of the Diesels and V10 and its grandpa the 426 Hemi. Torque is what pulls the trailer.

An interesting side note a fellow DiRT member saw a new 3500 at an auto show in Chicago I think last week with Hemi badges on it but they did not and would not open the engine so who knows what kind of #'s the Hemi will put out.

Although I am not a mechanical engineer I would think the Hemi Head with todays technology could produce a very good engine with plenty of power,good MPG and good emissions.

Todd

05-07-2002, 20:10 Post: 38282
cutter

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Dodge Duramax

I agree, although requirements/designs have changed so much who is to say what works best now. I like the truck, it doesn't matter what brand you pick, they all have their own list of problems.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Dodge Pickup Trucks Forum

Thread 38014 Filter by Poster:
ChesapekeBoy 1 | cutter 6 | DRankin 6 | Duramax 1 | HOEMAN00 1 | Jeff Earthwerks Unlimited 1 | keith rose 10 | Misenplace 3 | ob1kubota 1 | Peters 9 | Randy Eckard 1 | ruger454 2 | Todd Wilson 13 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
candoarms

Landscape Maintenance - Elm Tree Removal Minot North Dakota
Elm Tree Removal Minot North Dakota

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ What Kind of Fuel Milage Are You Getting From Your
+ Dodge Duramax
+ 5 7 hemi gas mileage
+ replacement tires
+ Differential Lockers and Limitied Slip Units
+ Anyone have leaky dodge cummins
+ 3 73 vs 4 10
+ What exactly is a HEMI
+ synthetic oil