discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Dodge Pickup Trucks Forum

Page 1 | 2 | [ 3 ] | 4 | 5 | 6 |      << Prev | Next >>

05-16-2002, 19:42 Post: 38700
Peters

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Dodge Duramax

OK Keith lets get started.
1) What engine in the truck? Is it manual trans?
2) What was repaired in the first instance, shortly after you got the truck? The rear end? Did they replace the rear end or only the guts?
3) On the second repair did they replace the rear end or only the guts?

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 05-17-2002, 06:56 Post: 38712
keith rose

Filter by User
 Dodge Duramax

Pete,
The first time they rebuilt the rear ring and pinion, Bearings ect.

The second time they replaced the cup. diff. 3 bearings, spacer, seal drive, cup drive and differential. Also says case was trac locked clutch pack sticking and pinion and case bearing shot.

The truck has the 360 engine and automatic trans. Thanks for the help.

05-17-2002, 07:25 Post: 38713
Peters

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Dodge Duramax

The only thing that appears to be common to the failures is the rear end housing. Todd may have struck the nail on the head in his first post.

I would suspect that the casing is machined or cast incorrectly. They kept replacing the guts but the wear is caused by the incorrect alignment of the shafts. Todd?

The only other thing would be an out of balance drive shaft but I think the U-joints would go first and that would not explain the first occurance.

05-18-2002, 03:37 Post: 38741
keith rose

Filter by User
 Dodge Duramax

I had the same discussion with one of my co-workers and we came up with improper machining of the bearing bores in the rearend. Those bores should be line bored but to minimize the chances of runout between the bores. When I bring it in this time I am going to insist they replace the rear!The other thought would be bad drive train alignment but I think the u-joints would wear first. Thanks for the input I think both of you guys hit the nail on the head, I will follow up post on how I made out,thanks again.

05-18-2002, 09:05 Post: 38755
Peters

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Dodge Duramax

It is definately in the geometry of the crown an pinion gears, but it is difficult to know what it is. It seems funny that they have assembled it twice and not had any tell tail binding . I would assume that the casting is placed in a boring machine an all three surfaces are drilled and bore at once. The machine set up must be wrong to get it incorrect or the casting was not filled correctly so that a mounting point was incorrect.
To see the type of failure you are experiencing the pinion gear must be contacting the crown gear incorrectly. I think the pinion shaft would need to be at the wrong angle to the crown. If the input shaft were high or low you would have difficulty assembling the rear end. Could could get the same effect it the propeller shaft are missaligned in the housing but the method of manufacture would still allow the proper centering of the bores with the input pinion bore.
Again this is likely a Dana problem and the rear end should be returned to Dana for analysis of what went wrong in the manufacturing technique.

05-18-2002, 10:47 Post: 38758
Todd Wilson

Filter by User
 Dodge Duramax

They do use a spreader tool to spread the housing a slight bit to get things inside. Could have been overdone originally and the housing is tweaked a little bit.

I would like to think who ever has redone the rear end would look at contact patterns on the gears. That can help determine how things were set last time and could maybe indicate an area of the rear end housing that is bad.

They do have various dial indicators for setting tolerances and I am guessing maybe if the housing was cast wrong or a part of it was wrong then that could throw off adjustments. These indicators are attached to various locations on the rear end when setting things up.

These rear end designs have been around a long time and are proven. They do what they are supposed to do and do hold up well to serious overloading.

I think you should visit this web site and poke around. Maybe it will help you. You may find others that have had this problem or get answers.

http://dodgeram.org/

We all would like to think a dealership is the best place to go for our vehicles but I have little to none in the fiath department with my local dealership. The parts guys at the counter and 2 older mechanics in the shop are the only ones I trust. The rest of them got their start at the local Jiffy Lube 30 minute oil change place and they are now mechanics!
Also 3 rear ends in 30000 miles isnt right. I think I would be talking to the higher ups about replacing the truck under lemon laws or get some big parts trucked in to replace entire areas of the truck. Not the managers at the dealership but make some calls to Detroit!

Todd

05-18-2002, 11:51 Post: 38760
DRankin

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Dodge Duramax

Cutter: Could you check with your brother-in-law and ask if Dodge has a factory sponsored fix for those trannys with the bad seal? I would like to pass the info to my brother-in-law if there is a fix. The dodge dealer in Anchorage is infamous for refusing or denying warranty work.

05-18-2002, 13:01 Post: 38761
Todd Wilson

Filter by User
 Dodge Duramax

Check the dodgeram.org web site. They have all the service bulletins and recalls and so forth on there. A dealership denying warranty work?????????? If it is covered under warrnaty and most things are the dealership gets paid from Chrysler for doing the work. Thats really odd they would deny things.

Todd

05-18-2002, 13:32 Post: 38762
DRankin

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Dodge Duramax

Before the Japanese named companies started building V-6 engines, I went into this particular dealership looking for a slightly heavier, more powerful truck for towing. After we sat down and traded names and other pleasantries, I opened negotiations by suggesting that they eliminate the $5000.00 (!!?!) additional dealer mark-up so we could continue talking. The salesman told me it was not negotiable because the next nearest place I could buy a Dodge truck was in Seattle, 2500 road miles and nearly four air hours away. My response was that I could fly to Seattle, buy a truck, and be back in 5 days and still save at least $4000.00 over his prices. He invited me to leave his G--D--- showroom and told me he was going to put my name on “The List”. What List? I inquired. Turns out they kept a list of people like me who might fly out and get a truck elsewhere. Those recalcitrants were not allowed to receive any sort of service, warranty or otherwise, at Anchorage Dodge. That was all I needed to hear. I am sure they must have moderated that attitude more recently as other Dodge dealers have taken up positions within a couple of hours of Anchorage in the last few years. Thanks for the tip, I'll tell the big boy to check to web site.

05-18-2002, 15:05 Post: 38763
cutter

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Dodge Duramax

The country is full of crooks and unscrupulous people in all businesses unfortunately. The one you were dealing with should have had his franchise pulled. There is a dealer in Rochester that had a tune up special a couple years ago. A different brother in law of mine took his perfectly running car there because he felt it was due. When he got it back, it ran terribly so he made another appointment. They told him it needed some part that would cost him $300. He called me and I called another dealer that confirmed my suspicion, the part in question did not exhist for his model car. I promptly told him to call the 800 number in the back of his owners manual and tell his story to the hot line. A factory rep met him at the dealer to get his car fixed for free. If you don't find that info on the web Mark, let me know and I will ask him about the seal for you.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page 1 | 2 | [ 3 ] | 4 | 5 | 6 |      << Prev | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Dodge Pickup Trucks Forum

Thread 38014 Filter by Poster:
ChesapekeBoy 1 | cutter 6 | DRankin 6 | Duramax 1 | HOEMAN00 1 | Jeff Earthwerks Unlimited 1 | keith rose 10 | Misenplace 3 | ob1kubota 1 | Peters 9 | Randy Eckard 1 | ruger454 2 | Todd Wilson 13 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
DennisCTB

Dogs and other Pets - Funny Critters
Funny Critters

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ What Kind of Fuel Milage Are You Getting From Your
+ 5 7 hemi gas mileage
+ Dodge Duramax
+ replacement tires
+ Differential Lockers and Limitied Slip Units
+ Anyone have leaky dodge cummins
+ 3 73 vs 4 10
+ What exactly is a HEMI
+ synthetic oil