discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Dodge Pickup Trucks Forum

Page 1 | [ 2 ] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |      << Prev | Next >>

05-14-2002, 19:33 Post: 38615
keith rose

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Dodge Duramax

All I can say is I bought my first Dodge 2 yrs. ago and its been nothing but a problem. Actually going on my third rearend in 30,000 miles and I tow nothing! Also had the front u joints go bad and numerous other problems. I have owned both Ford and GM and never had these kind of major failures, no less repetitive failures.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 05-14-2002, 20:44 Post: 38617
Peters

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Dodge Duramax

All I can say is I have 2 year old 3500 Ram with the Cummings and it has never been in the shop for repair. I have not had any recalls. I have the heavy duty rear end in the truck, but as the earlier post state the torque of the cummings will tear things up.
My previous truck a 97 Ford was relatively good, but had a few recalls and I had to rip apart the rear end before 60K to replace a 2 dollar outer end seal.
I would believe that if you can not keep the rear end in the Dodge that there something else wrong with the truck.
Like doctors these days mechanics are a little short on diagonsis and logical thought. Any difficult problem I have had with a car I have had to diagnose myself. Keep at them till they get it right.

05-15-2002, 07:19 Post: 38630
cutter

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Dodge Duramax

I agree with Peters. What model did you have Keith that went through three rear ends? I would suspect the repair was made without proper diagnosis. There has to be an underlying reason it happened repeatedly. I know that the rear ends, transfer cases and many time the transmissions are/were all manufactured by the same supplier (New Process) for all of the major American brands. That may still be the case, don't know. By the way, Chrysler used to own that company.

05-15-2002, 08:43 Post: 38634
Peters

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Dodge Duramax

Keith;
All brands have problems and defects from the factory. Unfortunately, with the complexity of cars these days, few people, are capable of diagnosis.

For example, I have a old Volvo on which we are the second owners. Once we bought the thing at ~ 100,000 miles a sharp right turn will give a bang once in a while. I suspected a lower right ball joint. Checked it and found slight play in only one axis. Not common for wear related failure.

In going through the service repair, I found that the previous owner had problems keeping the tires in balance and aligned. Symptoms of the problem persisted back to 30,000 miles or less. She had taken it in numberous times.The dealer is a larger dealer in AL with professional staff and also has the MB dealership at the same location.

The jist of what I am trying to say is it does not matter the dollar value of the car the odd defect will escape detection, and despite the best mechanics training they may not be able to spot it. As they say physician heal thy self.
Unfortunately, it is much worse when the physician is the diagnostician. To think Holmes was patterned after a physician.
Peters

05-15-2002, 10:07 Post: 38639
DRankin

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Dodge Duramax

Peters, you are right on, defects can occur in any make and model, even (dare I say it?) Toyota. Mechanics, I have heard, can be described as "flat rate butchers". They work on a fixed rate per job and it is easier, cheaper and faster for them to slap together new parts based on the reported problem. And in all fairness they do not drive the cars they fix, nor do physicians live in the bodies on which they are practicing medicine. They can only respond to the information they are given.

We as consumers can hedge our bets by only purchasing the vehicles or components that are most trouble free. That’s why I buy Toyotas when I can and you buy manual transmissions in your Dodge trucks. Even after saying that, it is hard to comprehend going through a rear axle every 10K. This is not new technology and lubricants have never been better. Maybe we should ask Keith what exactly is wearing out. Is it bearings, clutch packs for the limited slip? Seals? Ring and pinion? Maybe we can put our heads together and help him figure out where the reoccurring defect is coming from.

05-15-2002, 10:34 Post: 38640
Peters

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Dodge Duramax

Well if we want to get into it, I have a couple of Toyota stories to tell, so I don't think anyone is beyond reproach. As I know the Volvo well I have stuck with the Volvos. Not too much to relearn on a new car. Unfortunately the newer ones are all front wheel drive so, I will be looking for a new brand.

05-15-2002, 13:33 Post: 38650
Peters

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Dodge Duramax

Keith;
If you still have the truck, provide us with the details of the problem, repairs and current problem. We can see if our collective minds can traack down the real root cause.
Maybe you can start a new post under Dodge - Dogs etc.
Peters

05-15-2002, 13:43 Post: 38652
Todd Wilson

Filter by User
 Dodge Duramax

Sounds to me like a bad dealership or a bad rear end housing cast or machined wrong slightly causing rear end failure. I would think after #2 they woudl have rolled an entire new aseembly under the truck.

I have had my 1995 Dodge Ram for almost 7 years now with no troubles at all. I did have the transmission replaced at 30000 miles because the idiot dealiership didnt put enough fluid back in on a fluid and filter change. But thats another story..........

Todd

05-16-2002, 19:02 Post: 38695
keith rose

Filter by User
 Dodge Duramax

Thanks for all the input guys. You are all right it could happen with any brand, it just sucks when it happens to you. I still have the vehicle and I need to restate from my previous post , its time for its third rebuild.

I noticed the problem soon after I got the vehicle when you shifted from park to drive or drive to reverse it would clunk like the u-joints wher bad. I checked them and they where fine, I figured no big deal its under warrenty let them deal with it.

Well it took them two months to fix the truck, stated that parts where back ordered. That was good till july of last year it started up again. I took the truck in and this time the rear was shoot and also the transfer case and the front u-joints.

This time it only took a week to get it back (I was impressed compared to the vehicles previous stay!) Now about two months ago I noticed the same problem when you put it in drive or reverse so I figured its time again.

I live in Syracuse,NY and work near the New Venture Gear Plant, but that sure hasn't improved service. If you guys have any ideas that would be grat as I am about to bring it in again. It just doesnt sound right to have this many major problems in such a short time! Oh ya Its a 1997 Ram Sport 4WD ext. cab. Thanks again for all the input.

05-16-2002, 19:09 Post: 38696
keith rose

Filter by User
 Dodge Duramax

I should have adde that on the last repair they replaced the clutch pack and the bearings and the transfer case housing. I dont have the bill with me (its at work) it also stated theat when they drained the rearend it came out sliver in color! Severe bearing failure. Let me know what you guys come up with if anything.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page 1 | [ 2 ] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |      << Prev | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Dodge Pickup Trucks Forum

Thread 38014 Filter by Poster:
ChesapekeBoy 1 | cutter 6 | DRankin 6 | Duramax 1 | HOEMAN00 1 | Jeff Earthwerks Unlimited 1 | keith rose 10 | Misenplace 3 | ob1kubota 1 | Peters 9 | Randy Eckard 1 | ruger454 2 | Todd Wilson 13 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
rockingo

Other Home Building - Maine Woodlot Management
Maine Woodlot Management

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ What Kind of Fuel Milage Are You Getting From Your
+ 5 7 hemi gas mileage
+ Dodge Duramax
+ replacement tires
+ Differential Lockers and Limitied Slip Units
+ Anyone have leaky dodge cummins
+ 3 73 vs 4 10
+ What exactly is a HEMI
+ synthetic oil