discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Flowers Shrubs Garden Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 01-19-2002, 16:20 Post: 34724
XdeereGuy
2002-01-19 16:20:12
 What deere do not like to eat

So far I have found that deer don't eat most ornamental grasses like maiden hair grass(most varieties), and many other grasses like blue fescue etc.In leaf or even needle based plants, forget flowers, that's where my luck gets thin. I have had good luck with douglas fir, blue spruce or any spruce like plant. They eat blue atlas cedar, white pine, and juniper ugh! Anything softer they take to like a salt lick.If any of you have plants that seem to be deer resistant let me know. My wife and I have about given up on nursery tags that say "deer proof" , bull. The deer always seem to devour those right off :0(

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 01-20-2002, 07:53 Post: 34769
TomG

TP Contributor

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User

Can't suggest any particular plants. Deer do browse most things but avoid grass. If the problem is landscaping near a house, a dog keeps them in check about as well as anything. That's the usual solution around here. Just giving up and planting enough for the deer too is another solution. Trying fences gets into old country jokes about whether you've got 8' deer or 10' deer in your area.

01-20-2002, 16:32 Post: 34790
Peters

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Sound like drastic deer over population to me. Looks like you may need something to eat the deer.
Spraying things with pepper slows them down, but I agree that you need something to scare them away.
This does not always work but at least the will only go for the irresistable not the 4th course. I have had dogs since I have lived here but the deer still are drawn to the persimmons when falling. We just end up woken up a lot at night as the dogs bark.

01-21-2002, 06:53 Post: 34810
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User

Something to scare them away? Well, that's not a friend and his brother. His wife found them sitting on the porch one morning. They were jawing away while watching the deer munch away at her garden. As I understand, the wife became the scary thing. Don't know where their dog was at the time. This is a dog that chases bears (at least as long as the bear keeps running). Dogs don't always work either. Electric fences get mixed reviews.

The thing about deer is that it's good if they browse on crops--well maybe somebody’s crops at least. They end up turning into gourmet delicacies compared to the bush fed deer around here.

At least I can't blame the deer for a complete loss of our garden sweet corn this year. It was raccoons that stripped the husks back on each ear and ate all the corn while leaving the bare cobs still on the stocks. Wonderful creatures, those raccoons, and so cute too. I’m not real fond of eating the local deer myself, but I might become fond of local raccoon if we loose another corn crop.

01-21-2002, 09:18 Post: 34817
Peters

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

A retired teacher from Peterbough Ont once related his problem with the coons and corn.
He put an electric fence around the patch and watched the first night. Momma coon came in and lifted the fence a little and the little ones slipped in, while he watched. He thought they were congradulating him on the security system on their patch to keep the dogs and deer out.
He added lights to illuminate the patch. He went out and they seem to be applauding him at the improved light to eat by.
He turned the radio on the patch. He watched and they seemed to be enjoying the mood music to munch by.
Finnally in frustration he got on the tractor and plowed the corn under. If he wasn't going to get any corn neither were they.

01-21-2002, 09:23 Post: 34818
XdeerGuy
2002-01-21 00:00:00

I have a 100 pound Chocolate Labrador and while he is true to his breed in friendliness, he ain't deer friendly.

If he smells em he barks, most times, and gives em a good run.

But other times he seems to be a pacifist, a just lays there looking at the whole herd just 30 feet from him, as if they have called a truce for the time being and all is well and balanced with nature.

And the dog is not out all the time anyway.

So nope the dog don't cut it.

What I tell my wife is forget flowers and schrubs, just plant the oranamental grasses ;o)

02-06-2003, 12:06 Post: 48784
TheWDCTexan

Here in Maryland deer seem to eat everything but weeds and grass. We use several sprays like DeerAway that seem to work but they smell like a skunk buried in 9 day old fish entrails. You do NOT want that stuff on you. It rains off BUT it works. But I would not put it near the house.

I have also put chicken wire flat on the ground around my orchard - they will jump the 3' but seem to go around the 6 foot - not sure why. Rock salt in a shot gun works for awhile but you have to repeat about every two weeks - deer are dumb. GOOD LUCK.

02-07-2003, 11:05 Post: 48839
George in VT

Up here in Vermont, I heard another option. For our garden, we use 8lb. test fishing line. About 10+ feet around the preimeter of the garden. String fishing line about 3 feet high all around garden. When deer come near, they are usually walking. The fish line touches their chest and deters them. It worked to keep the deer out of our garden, doesn't seem to help with the rabbits though.

02-15-2003, 15:03 Post: 49305
plots1

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

sounds like nobody likes deer here i myself plant just for them as i like watchin them and taking pics,i also like to harvest a couple in the fall, feeds family well

02-19-2003, 19:48 Post: 49582
Misenplace

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Plots, I do the same, in fact I have a dedicated second property for it. about four years ago we finally coughed up the cash to landscape the yard. I never, ever never never ever drempt that I would pay that much for shrubs trees dirt, ahh I mean soil, rock trees etc. etc. etc. Four months later we had a major snow storm, the deer came out of the metro park across the street and would walk right up the sidewalk muching all of my yews..grrrrr. I finally decided just to buy shelled corn and feed em',it was a heck of a lot cheaper. In following years I reverted to whizzin in a pepsi bottle and did my own territory marking. Don't laugh it worked a thousand times better tan all of the chemical sprays etc that I had Purchased. This year I have acouple 1.5 year olds that come every night. The little buck has figured out how to get the bird seed out of the feeders. He walks up, gets the feeder hanging down the side of his face and nuzzles it shakeing the corn and seed out and on to his very busy tongue. The answear, well, shelled corn is a heckuva lot cheaper than bird seed...Laughing out loud

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Flowers Shrubs Garden Forum

Thread 34724 Filter by Poster:
Abbeywoods 1 | brokenarrow 1 | bullworker 1 | George in VT 1 | harvey 1 | Misenplace 5 | Peters 2 | plots1 4 | TheWDCTexan 1 | TomG 2 | unit5alive 1 | wbowhunt 1 | wdbg1046 1 | XdeereGuy 1 | XdeerGuy 1 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
Coachlarry

John Deere Gator - Input shaft spline or keyed
Input shaft spline or keyed

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ What deere do not like to eat
+ What is Deer Proof
+ Solar fence charger recommendatins
+ Hedge Trimmers
+ Any Beekeepers out there
+ transplanting 2-3 quot trees
+ Apple tree Planting
+ Berry farms
+ Sawdust for garden mulch