discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Gator Forum

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | [ 4 ] | 5 |      << Prev | Next >>

11-26-2008, 16:19 Post: 158169
earthwrks

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Snapping noise in front and rear ends

(shaking my head in disbelief as my stance is only more REINFORCED) Kenny, it's "quiet" not "quite".

Murf and Kenny: When I was down yonder, I was in sign shop when in walks a local who was also a Pakistani hotel owner. Now, here in the hinterland some of my customers are Pakistani/Indian and Arabic so I'm used to understanding their tongue quite (or in Kenny-speak: quiet) well. Keep in mind we were where redneckdom was born---this guy starts talking in thick a Pakistani dialect with a slow, redneck drawl---I about ROGLMAO!

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 11-26-2008, 19:12 Post: 158173
kwschumm

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwrks | view 158161

[QUOTE=earthwrks;158161]KW: I understand your point about fixing things. However, can you really make a blanket statement that that is true? In other words, would you trust someone who doesn't have a firm grasp on the english language to repair something when they can't read and understand a service manual or a torque wrench?
[/QUOTE]

EW, I don't trust much that I read on the internet or hear on the news if it doesn't pass the smell test Smile But plenty of guys that don't have your technical writing background, or maybe even a high school diploma, have spent their lives working on and around equipment.

If someone starts talking about the fetzer valve or muffler bearing you can pretty much tell their full of crap. When their words make at least a little sense then they are often worth considering.

Dueling anecdote time Smile A close relative of mine can't spell worth beans, but he reads fine, his grammar is OK, and he has an intuitive knowledge of mechanical systems. He has a mechanical engineering degree, graduated near the top of his class, and works on some of the most advanced battlefield logistics systems in the world. He knows his spelling is bad, and nowadays always uses a spell checker, but sometimes the wrong word, correctly spelled, slips into his writing. You know how English is.

11-27-2008, 09:15 Post: 158176
Murf

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Ken, it's funny you mention that. Just this morning I had to go into town to take my gal for a dental appointment after she dropped her car (truck?) off to get some work done on it.

She pointed out a truck with a big sign on the side of it and laughingly said she was very glad we hadn't taken her ride to that place to be fixed. Beneath the name of the business the sign read "Specializing in all kinds of general repairs.".

I wondered aloud if that was different somehow from doing general specialized repairs?

Jeff, many years back I was in Finland on vacation and took a taxi from the airport to the hotel. The driver looked like he belonged on a beach in Jamaica, right down to the dreadlocks in his hair and the big multi-coloured knitted toque they wear. He had to be 6'+ tall and well built. The "Jamaican" image disappeared when he opened his mouth!! He had been corn and raised in Finland and spoke with absolutely no detectable accent. Talk about confusing!! It was like watching one of those badly dubbed Japanese movies. The words and the picture just did NOT match at all!!

Best of luck.

11-27-2008, 11:32 Post: 158182
earthwrks

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Yeah, I've had some black collegues who very proper when around folk like me. But you get two of the them together and WOW! it's like being in the 'hood!

KW, your engineer-friend's poor spelling: to what do you attribute him getting a higher education? I mean how does one get around course studies without being called-out on it and have to take remedial courses?

I worked as a designer and engineer for many years and befriended many an educated engineer---some of whom couldn't spell well. One day one of my "friends" who himself was a student asked me where my certificate was (on my office wall). Befuddled, I asked what he meant. Up until this time I had been helping him on his thesis and gave input on workaday problems as we worked in the same department. I told him I didn't go to school. Maaaan he was so angry! He spun around on one foot, left, and never asked for my input again.

11-27-2008, 22:46 Post: 158189
kwschumm

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwrks | view 158182
KW, your engineer-friend's poor spelling: to what do you attribute him getting a higher education? I mean how does one get around course studies without being called-out on it and have to take remedial courses?

Well, math equations don't require much in the way of spelling and grammar Smile How hard is it to spell a+b=c?

11-28-2008, 20:29 Post: 158207
GLM620i

Filter by User

Hello all,

To the board getting back to the original discussion, did anyone with the issue ever get resolution??? Here is my resolve. The unit went back to John Deere service 2 times and on the 2 try the eliminated the vibration and most of the clunking sounds. The unit still rattles and the drive train has a slight clunk only in certain conditions. Not under load. The unit still lunges at first acceleration but is better than first recieved. If I had to do it all over again I WOULD NOT, I repeat, WOULD NOT, purchase this unit again nor would I recommend it to anyone. The dealer offered to trade it in on something else or another unit but as used unit with 17 hrs on it... Thanks but why should I loose money.... Just to satisfy my curiousity I went and drove a POLARIS Ranger XP because it got similar reviews. The POLARIS drive train clunked and rattled more than the JD Gator so I stuck with the GATOR. I have spent hours working the rattles out. First big rattle was the bed cover. I removed the bed cover and reinstalled it using rubber padded strips on the bed edge and bed surface before reinstalling. It worked perfect. The other was the front hood. Simmilar application of stripping took care of it. The others underneath I just can't find... I can live with them at this point.... For what the unit cost you would have thought it would have been better engineered... Not JD quality that is expected.... Please post if anyone has found out about other issues.

12-01-2008, 22:52 Post: 158272
jdkid4890

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

EW.... What can i say? I'm sorry but i do not type as fast as i think. just to let you know i have my master tech. degree from JOHN DEERE!!! thanks it took some time to get and I'm 22, I maybe a kid to some of you. all that i have tried to do is help you all with questions. but if a few miss spelled words is a big problem then its your problem and i can't help you with that!!! and to the rest of you thanks for the support!!

12-02-2008, 12:44 Post: 158287
DRankin

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwschumm | view 158173

[QUOTE=kwschumm;158173] If someone starts talking about the fetzer valve or muffler bearing you can pretty much tell Wink yeah righttheir full of crap................

but sometimes the wrong word, correctly spelled, slips into his writing. You know how English is. [/QUOTE]

Good example KW........ Like putting "their" in place of "they're".

This could go on forever............

12-02-2008, 12:57 Post: 158288
kwschumm

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRankin | view 158287
Good example KW........ Like putting "their" in place of "they're".This could go on forever............

I was wondering if anyone would notice Smile

12-02-2008, 16:40 Post: 158295
kthompson

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

It might be easy to be offended and sadly I will admit my spelling is not the best. Neither sadly is my eyesight. Glasses on the screen is fuzzy and off the print is small. Also my fingers don't listen to my brain to hit the correct keys more than I wish. Then on top of that ispell check does not work for me at TP as it does some other sites (understand it will with Yahoo or Googles tool bar which I don't care for). Then it does not do grammer check anyhow.

What does all this mean, hey it's me man. Lumps and all. Smile

22 year old, boy that is a child just a baby. Why in about 3 years you will be old enough to hold a girl's hand. Smile

I have learned from my now 5 year old grandson. Last week he was riding on tractor with me and said, Grandaddy,if you drive faster you will get home faster. Very serious, we can learn a lot for a child of any and all ages, even ole Jeff. So teach your help is appreicated a bunch or is that a lot? kt

I almost went to copy this to Word for spell check and thought what? Naw

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | [ 4 ] | 5 |      << Prev | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Gator Forum

Thread 154078 Filter by Poster:
Art White 1 | auerbach 1 | DRankin 2 | earthwrks 6 | gatoraider 1 | GLM620i 6 | hardwood 4 | jdkid4890 2 | jppdad 1 | kthompson 9 | kwschumm 5 | Murf 4 | wervey 4 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
Coachlarry

John Deere Gator - Input shaft spline or keyed
Input shaft spline or keyed

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ JD Gator only runs with choke
+ Snapping noise in front and rear ends
+ Gator 620i gas in engine oil
+ What is Normal Compression
+ Gator 6x4 Overheating problem
+ John Deere Gator water in the oil
+ Is a Gator TS good for pushing snow
+ First Gator
+ snow plow wiring