discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Gator Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 05-30-2008, 12:31 Post: 154078
wervey

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Snapping noise in front and rear ends

I have a JD 620i that I have had back to the dealer four times to try to find the snapping noise in the front and rear end. Granted the help there can't be that good because they tell me to pick it up and the noise is so bad it is embarrasing to drive, they get a sheepish look on their face and drag it back to the shop. It sounds like bearings piling up or CV joints going out. When I tell them this I just get the boy are you dumb look. It started at 20 hrs and now it is really bad, I can't seem to get any closure on the problem. It is back in the shop again as I write. They don't deny the noise but nobody seems qualified to find it and fix it any one hear of this problem before? A friend of mine bought one the same day and he has 35 hrs on his and it is starting to do the same thing.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 05-30-2008, 16:04 Post: 154080
Murf

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

There are two known issues with them.

First, the carrier bearing under the floor board binds up with the drive shaft and secondly, the gear backlash in the front differential is not set properly from the factory sometimes.

Have the dealer check both.

Biggest problem with all of these things seems to be that 2 or 4 wd doesn't change that the whole front end is still turning, add in a bit of wear and some dirt or debris and noise is a sure bet.

Best of luck.

06-15-2008, 21:59 Post: 154638
jppdad

Mine has 12 hours and has done something like that from the begining, I have tried to find where it comes from, but if it is built in they won't be able to fix it

06-16-2008, 11:54 Post: 154647
wervey

Filter by User

The shop just called me on Friday and told me it was ready to go and that they had put a new rear end in it and the problem was gone. I went in to pick it up and took it for a test drive and it never made fify feet before it started again. The noise was gone in the back but still persists BAD in the front end. Still nothing solved as of today. Shop foreman was pretty speachless when I took him for a ride, he was contacting JD rep again today.

08-24-2008, 22:59 Post: 156278
GLM620i

Filter by User

Hello everyone,

I purchased an XUV and upon first use it seemed to have a grinding noise or vibration. The unit also jumped as you first started to accelerate. Forward or reverse. It didn't matter. The vibration increased upon acceleration. So to prove I wasn't crazy, we took it back to the dealer and drove it side by side to a new one. Big difference. The dealer completely agreed. Findings indicated a bad clutch and the dealer replaced it. I picked the unit up and used it at the farm. After 1 hour use now sitting at 17.3 total hours it started the SNAPPING noise or loud clunks. Sounds like a bad u joint right under the drivers seat. It doesn't matter if its in 4wd or 2wd and it most prevelent at 5mph or greater. The unit just went in on friday 8/22 and I will be interested to see what they find. This is my first John Deere and we are in the process of buying a 5525 but I did put that on hold. I was given the impression by others the JD brand was superior to others so I didn't shop any other XUV types. Everything you read online the XUV is a fine machine, an improvement over the HPX. The machine drive train just doesn't feel solid as one would expect from a 11k machine. I will post after we pick it up next week. After 17 hrs it could be going back if they don't get it right. I am not happy with JD at the momment...

George

08-25-2008, 15:06 Post: 156294
Art White

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Uh, 11,000? Thats a RTV with hydraulic dump and power steering.

08-25-2008, 17:57 Post: 156297
hardwood

TP Contributor

Filter by User

Art, don't want to appear too dense but what does RTV stand for? Our 620i has been a big improvement over the HPX especially in ride quality, easy starting with the fuel injected engine. It's got somewhere around 200 hrs. and only problem has been a parking brake latch malfunction that I fixed myself. Only thing I can think of might be a bad U joint in the front wheel driveline or possibly some grass or something wrapped aroubnd the driveline slapping on something. Frank.

08-25-2008, 20:37 Post: 156303
auerbach

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

That the mechanics couldn't diagnose and fix such a problem, well, I sympathise. That they tell the owner to pick it up, apparently hoping that will be the end of it, I don't sympathise. And that they fail to report the problem to the technical people at head office, people who should have the answer, and need this kind of feedback from the field in order inform both their dealers and engineers, that puts me off a manufacturer I had always held in the highest esteem.

08-26-2008, 08:06 Post: 156311
wervey

Filter by User

Hi George:
After 8 times into the shop and two new axles,4 new CV joints and numerous bolts tightned, My Gator was still so bad it was embarassing to drive in public with the snapping noise. John Deere had my Gator more than I did for a whole year with no sucess. At the end two weeks ago they were getting pissy with me for keeping bringing it in because they had bigger things to work on like combines, so I finally fixed the problem and traded the damn thing in for a Bobcat 2200. Good luck with your snapping because JD dosnt have a clue how to fix it and you will have to live with it. My 2 cents worth is it is a poorly designed machine. The final thing they will tell you is just keep driving it until something breaks then we will know what to replace. I was very dissappointed with JD for not stepping up to the plate and taking them back and giving the guys who are having the problem a replacement. We bought two at the same time and they both do the same thing. Now two Bobcats are in their parking spots. Sure would like to hear from some JD reps on this board to try and convince us were not all crazy. Everyone who has this problem is treated like they are the only one it is happening to in the thousands of units they sell. They should read up on the internet about their own products and they can see there are many like this out there. I had to show my own salesman what others have said about it on the net before he even believed me there was a problem. Thanks TP for giving us this site to find out that other people experiance the same thing with our units.
Ralph

08-27-2008, 01:05 Post: 156345
GLM620i

Filter by User

Hello everyone,

Just a quick update... The dealer has reviewed the gator, agreed there is a problem or issue but no resolution as of yet.... They did confirm or was of the opinion the noise is coming from the drive train. I will follow up later..

Ralph, thanks for the input. Its strange you purchased the 2200 as that was the first unit we looked at. We didn't look at it hard because at first glance we wanted a complete cameo unit or at least at not aluminum colors.. The red logo had to stay so I didn't look further. The Deere was purchased that afternoon. If they do not fix our gator and I am losing confidence daily, I will push for a refund, not a replacement at this point. I spoke with another dealer today in Moscow Mills, Missouri and he stated that JD has over 100,000 gators in the field and this was a first he has heard of it. They have sold over 200 XUV units out of their location and this was a first. After his comments I am almost wondering if our cases, might be unique in some way. They have a bunch in the field. Just note sure at this point. I need a unit for the holiday weekend so I will press for a demo or my units. Thanks again for posting, it really has helped.

George

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Gator Forum

Thread 154078 Filter by Poster:
Art White 1 | auerbach 1 | DRankin 2 | earthwrks 6 | gatoraider 1 | GLM620i 6 | hardwood 4 | jdkid4890 2 | jppdad 1 | kthompson 9 | kwschumm 5 | Murf 4 | wervey 4 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
DennisCTB

Current Events - House Fire Near Me
House Fire Near Me

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ JD Gator only runs with choke
+ Snapping noise in front and rear ends
+ Gator 620i gas in engine oil
+ What is Normal Compression
+ Gator 6x4 Overheating problem
+ John Deere Gator water in the oil
+ snow plow wiring
+ Is a Gator TS good for pushing snow
+ First Gator