discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Landscape Maintenance Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 03-12-2001, 12:37 Post: 25398
John Dvorscak

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster
 Stone Driveways

Hello:I need to re-stone about 500 feet of driveway. I have a JD4100 tractor with loader and a back blade. The stone supplier will deliver the stone and unload it in one big pile. What is the best method to spread the stone and grade it? Should I get a york rake?

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 03-12-2001, 13:01 Post: 25399
JeffM

Filter by User
 Stone Driveways

John, my method would be to get the stone dumped near the middle of the drive if possible. Then I would use the loader to distribute buckets of stone starting from the far ends toward the middle. After I dump each bucketful I would backblade it roughly with the bucket (1 pass) to approximately the desired depth. After I had distributed the length of the driveway, I would use the rear blade to get final grade and desired crown or slope. A landscape rake might make the job a little easier in the final grading, but not enough for me to go out and buy one. If you can borrow one, that's an different story. I don't have any experience with either rear blades or rakes yet, so experienced folks on this board may give you better info. I have, however, spread stone over driveways and walks before using just a tractor or skidsteer loader and this distribution method seemed very effective to me. (I got real good at backblading with a bucket - practice, practice, practice) Another way is the "bulldozer" method where you keep pushing material away from the pile to roughly the desired depth working out towards the ends of the drive. Maybe someone will have a reason why this works better or faster.

03-12-2001, 13:56 Post: 25403
Murf

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Stone Driveways

John, if the stone is to be delivered by a dump truck it is far easier to have the driver spread it for you. Almost every truck I have ever seen has a chain at each side of the tailgate, this is to control how far it opens when dumping. Any driver with even a little experience can set the chains and drive forward while tipping the box, spreading the material at a surprisingly accurate rate, and in a nice, neat, approx. 9' wide path, all that is left is to 'massage' it into the exact location. Best of luck.

03-12-2001, 14:01 Post: 25404
Bird Senter

TP Contributor

Stone Driveways

Hey, John, just start like Murf said and finish like JeffM said; nothing to it. Laughing out loud Like Jeff said, I suspect those rakes are nice to have, but I don't have enough use for one to buy it, so I'd just use my front end loader and box blade.

03-12-2001, 14:23 Post: 25406
JeffM

Filter by User
 Stone Driveways

Murf, you just saved me a couple of hours of loader work this coming summer when I'm going to put in a new driveway! So obvious, too. I just have to have my excavation work done before the stone is delivered. See, that's the difference between us hobbyists and you professionals - you'd go broke having fun the way I do!

03-12-2001, 15:09 Post: 25409
Rob Munach

Stone Driveways

Around here, the stone is delivered in single or tandem axle dump trucks. The drivers are pretty adept at dumping it pretty evenly along the whole driveway.

03-12-2001, 15:37 Post: 25412
JJT

Stone Driveways

I have even less experienc with computers and keyboards. Spilling your stone as you back up might be easier if you have to fill in some areas. If you can borrow a york rake with wheels to gauge your pitch it will cut the learning curve down to a couple of minutes. Finish off by dragging a metal bed frame over the drive several times and you will be amazed at the quality of your work.
Good Luck JT

03-12-2001, 22:24 Post: 25427
Alan L. Lewis

Stone Driveways

Stone??? Is that the same as gravel? If so, I'd have the dump truck drop it along the drive.

03-13-2001, 06:26 Post: 25435
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 Stone Driveways

I don't know if this is a first tractor project or not. However, drives that need dressing material often need other maintenance as well. Things re-crowning, ditching and widening eroded areas of fill need to be done periodically. There may be some other projects that need doing before the stone, and they might be even more interesting. All maintenance can be done with a loader and back-blade, but I prefer a box scraper for grading. The trouble with a blade is that if you have to make a cut, most of the cut material comes off the blade ends, and you don't necessarily want it dumped to the side. End plates on a blade cures this limitation. Many blades also don't have enough weight to cut compacted material, but extra weight can be strapped on top. York rakes are good at final smoothing, but not so good if cutting is required. Spreading with a loader works best back dragging with the bucket floated. If appreciable new material is added, then compacting is a good idea, and compacting can be done with a loader. Back-drag a fairly flat bucket while holding down-pressure. When compacting, there's very little front-wheel steering, and brake steering has to be used. Spreading with the dump truck is a good idea that I'll bet saves more than 2-hours. After a time or two you'll just know how long something takes. In the meantime, think that a tandem load is 15-16 yards, and maybe 12 yards would have to be moved an appreciable distance. Figure the number of bucket loads from the bucket size, the average distance moved and the average speed--including loading and dumping. I don't know the answer, but I'll bet the distance is around 100' and the speed is 2-mph or less. I imagine the result is quite a bit longer than 2-hours.

03-13-2001, 06:33 Post: 25436
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 Stone Driveways

Alan: There is a formal system for classifying aggregates that I really don't know. However, common usage depends a bit on where you're located. Here, stone generally means a clean glaciated stone, and the size depends on usage. For example, septic stone is smaller than cobbles. Gravel is a mixture of sand and small stone (also called pit run I believe), and most larger aggregate is called crushed rock (maybe crusher run). If it’s graded, there are terms like pea gravel to describe size. Most people around here use gravel because it compacts and freezes. The excess sand washes out and leaves a fairly durable layer of small stone. Appreciable amounts of crushed rock are avoided, because it doesn't compact or freeze well, and often more of it ends up in the ditch than on the drive. Actually aggregate is very specific stuff. A curious side-note is that several mid-eastern desert countries import sand from Australia. Desert sand cannot be used to make concrete because it is too rounded.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Landscape Maintenance Forum

Thread 25398 Filter by Poster:
Abbeywoods 1 | Alan L. Lewis 1 | Bird Senter 1 | Chief 1 | DRankin 1 | grinder 4 | harvey 1 | JeffM 2 | JJT 1 | John Dvorscak 1 | JParker 2 | KGryder 1 | kubotaguy 1 | Murf 5 | Rob Munach 1 | shortmagnum 1 | Ted Kennedy 1 | TomG 6 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
DennisCTB

Honda - 2014 Honda CRV to have CVT Transmission
2014 Honda CRV to have CVT Transmission

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ Stone Driveways
+ I need a new 14 or 16 chain saw
+ Pole saws
+ Woven wire field fence construction
+ Removing cattails from ponds---what do you use
+ Chainsaw won t start
+ How long should a chainsaw chain last
+ how to get rid of a snake
+ New String Trimmer Needed