discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Website Operations Howto Forum

Page 1 | 2 | [ 3 ] |      << Prev

03-20-2005, 17:24 Post: 108396
kwschumm

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 ATTACKED IP from Google on TP

I don't know what all Norton Security is supposed to do, but I use AVG for virus (far better than Norton) and both Spybot S&D and Spyware blaster for spyware control. I also use ZoneAlarm for a firewall, but since I have a hardware firewall ZoneAlarm hasn't got much to do. I've also heard good things about Avast for viruses but have no personal experience with it. BTW, when I dumped NAV and installed AVG it found a half dozen viruses that got by NAV.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 03-20-2005, 17:58 Post: 108397
bvance

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

To blame this problem totally on Norton is a cop-out. Norton may have some issues (as any developed software does) but it does the job it was designed for.

To blast Norton in my opinion is no different than a Kubota guy slamming Deere. There's good and bad in both and it usually just boils down to personal opinion, likes and dislikes. There are a lot of large companies using Norton and doing just fine with it. Again, as with most software issues, it's how you configure it do what it's supposed to do.

03-20-2005, 19:54 Post: 108409
DennisCTB

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Ok guys here is the response from my contact at Google:

"Thank you for your patience while we investigated this issue. Please rest assured that Google is not attempting to attack any of your customers computers in any way. In fact, Google has strong principles that advocate against any type of software that behaves like this; for more information, please visit: http://www.google.com/corporate/software_principles.html

While researching your question, I noticed that the Google server mentioned in the alert is pagead2.googlesyndication.com . This sever is used by our AdSense program to display relevant advertisements on partner websites. Please note, however, that in this instance "pagead2.googlesyndication.com" is being shown under the "Attacked IP" and not as the attacker.

You may also wish to refer to Symantec's help site at:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/nis_ids/sigs/http_activeperl_overflow.html

in order to determine if this alert is a false positive.

Please also understand that specifically, Norton Personal Firewall 2004 and Norton Internet Security 2004 both contain an 'ad blocker' feature. This feature is enabled by default, and will need to be disabled in order to properly view Google ads. If your users have this feature enabled within their security products, they may be having difficulty viewing the Google ads on your pages. Please contact Norton directly for further information or assistance regarding this feature.

Please feel free to reply to this email if you have additional questions
or concerns."

I hate to say it, but as my own computer was completely wiped trying to be the nice guy analyzing this, I think I can say this is one of those RTFMA cases no disrespect intended. As so often happens when overdoing anything, it can lead to less than optimum results.

In regards to Norton, I use their anitivirus and I have no problems with it. This internet security package crashed my machine causing me to have to reinstall the operating system and all my SW so I am not so happy with it, your experience may be different. At least I was smart enough to recognize that this could be dangerous, and used my older machine to install. Wow was I lucky!!!!!!!!

Best Regards to all,

Dennis
TractorPoint.com Operator

03-20-2005, 22:57 Post: 108420
kwschumm

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

bvance, I don't think anyone blamed Norton for the problem related in this thread. Yes, NAV mostly works, but other products work better.

You're right, Symantec has lots of corporate customers - customers that have big budgets and IT staffs that are paid to fix problems and restore from backups. But there are better products. In my experience you could install AVG on almost any Norton protected internet connected computer and find viruses that NAV missed. But, hey, that's the corporate IT staffs responsibility. For home users a more reliable product is called for. IMHO of course, you're free to disagree and use and recommend whatever you want.

03-21-2005, 00:10 Post: 108425
ksmmoto

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I am using Norton Internet Security 2005 and I do have popup's blocked. Also blocked by Google Toolbar and Windows XP SP2. It was never a problem, just showed up as an intrusion attempt.

I am going to build a network soon, have four computers now in the house and I have a Linksys Firewall Router that will provide hardware protection.

Sorry to hear about your computer Dennis. You never know what will happen. I like Norton much better than the McAfee I used to use, but that was several years ago on Windows 95.

I had to reinstall everything on this Dell Laptop I am using in January. It had an error that corrupted the hard drive. I was backed up, but had not updated in a week so I was behind. Know I am kind of crazy about backups, have everything on two internal HD's, one external HD, DVD and memory sticks!

ksmmoto

03-21-2005, 04:01 Post: 108431
harvey

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I have just added Google to my unrestricted access file. Site works fine. I'll monitor that file also.

Also in reguards to the ad blockers. The pop-ups are a bigger PITA than the having to allow traffic. I remember years ago seeing my task bar so filled up it took 5+ minutes to clear it from all the garbage.

It really gets boring listening to your we're so small nobody bothers us.

Lets hope you guys running apples and other operating systems get to the point where idle minds with creativity decide to start on someone besides MS. That would be a good thing. More SW developers having to design all new virus SW. Another whole new industry in the works.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page 1 | 2 | [ 3 ] |      << Prev

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Website Operations Howto Forum

Thread 108159 Filter by Poster:
bvance 2 | Casco1 1 | Chief 1 | DennisCTB 6 | denwood 1 | harvey 7 | ksmmoto 4 | kwschumm 4 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
DennisCTB

Gas Power Tools - How do you sharpen chain saw chain
How do you sharpen chain saw chain

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ TP members coming and going
+ What Display Resolution Does your PC have
+ Any suggestions
+ Tractorpoint Site Improvement Survey
+ Slow Response Time for Tractor Point
+ Survey How Did You Find the CTB
+ Houses Sinking
+ Ruger 357 Maximum
+ Registering on Tractorpoint