discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Current Events Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 01-11-2006, 21:21 Post: 122620
Peters

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Dumped Dogs

I live out in the county miles away from any city center. People decide to dump dogs on us. The old beagle was sick and I was never sure he new exactly where he was going. We cared for him until he died. The mixed bred bitch that was dumped off caused a problem and the dog fights that resulted ended up in a death of the neighbors dogs. I end up burying them. I would not mind if I had a backhoe.
The golden retriever was a good dog and I enjoyed him. Unfortunately he over heated one day chasing the kids up the road to their friends. They are not really built for 100 degree heats. What do you expect from something bred in New Foundland where 70 is a hot day.
Now to the current problem. The German pointer that is so stupid the kids named him Stupid. The golden retriever (1 year old) was trained almost immediately and loved to ride with me in the back of the truck. I can not break this thing of chasing the car out the road. He tends to stand in the middle of the road and appears to have no fear of cars, despite being hit hard one day. He is a beautiful looking dog, but to me a waste of feed. You put a leash around his neck you might as well be walking air.
These are only the dogs that have stayed around there have been others, but the dogs have driven then off.
Why do people think that people in the country want their dogs. I have to drive 30 miles to take the dog to the SPCA or take the gun out and spend 25 cents on a shell. Again I would not mind if had a backhoe.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 01-11-2006, 23:18 Post: 122622
Carldarnell

Filter by User
 Dumped Dogs

One of the reasons is that some animal shelters charge to take an animal. People complain about all the stray dogs and cats but the animal rights people are reluctant to kill them and charge to take them. So the critter gets dumped in the sticks. We have been lucky that none have been dumped here yet.

01-12-2006, 07:03 Post: 122623
DeTwang

Dumped Dogs

---------------------
Now to the current problem. The German pointer that is so stupid the kids named him Stupid
---------------------

Laughing out loud!

It's a shame that people can't honor the responsibility they take on..If you take an animal into your family, it's 'your' responsibility to care for it..understand this 'before' you take it in...or don't take it in....deciding later that it's not what you wanted does not justify driving it out into the woods and dumping it on someone else to deal with (not to mention that this is very cruel for the animal)....And if you have an animal, and aren't willing to find good homes for it's offspring, have it fixed...

Why is this so hard to understand? Of course, the people who are irresponsible with their animals, are probably just as irresponsible with their children (as well as other areas of their lives).....

01-12-2006, 07:51 Post: 122626
kthompson

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Dumped Dogs

Does your county have any kind of animal control dept. If so they might would set (live) traps for those dumped animals.

Sometimes they end up there not by design but by accident. We have golden retreiver (great dog and our summers are hard on them) rolled off of pickup tool box twice before he learned to stay off of tool boxes. Had a young pointer that just jumped out of pickup while driving it.

Have had dogs from miles away show up from miles away in my yard that were being hunted by their owner.

Now, a person that cares for their dog you normally find the name tag.

I think you are right on a person often cares for their animals and children very similar. Some care for the dog more, sadly.

01-12-2006, 08:32 Post: 122630
Peters

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Dumped Dogs

I know everyone in a five mile radius around the house and never tied up any of these dogs. The beagle and the golden I check to see who the owner could be. From the pointer it was apparent, the person that bought the dog in the first place was only slightly brighter than the dog. I am sure he spent some dollars. It has it tail cropped and due claws removed. All three of the dogs we have kept were pure bred. Naturally we have run off a number and taken one to the SPCA. The neighor up the road has probably take a couple of dozen to the pound in the same period. Maybe the wolves next door were not that bad an idea?

I don't know of any animal control in the area.

01-12-2006, 11:27 Post: 122640
Chief

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Dumped Dogs

Eric, I can identify with your frustration. All of our dogs came from the pound off of death row. We paid to have the neutered and shot. We had someone dump off a bitch koonhound that I could not run off for the life of me. The SPCA would not take her, nor would the animal control dept. I went out to shoot the poor thing and end her misery and I just could not bring myself to pull the trigger. I coaxed her up to the house, fed her and took her to the vet to get spayed and shots. She turned out to be a wonderful and very intelligent dog but she had the urge to run all over the country side. As much as I did my best to train her to stay around the house; she would run, and finally got hit by a car and killed. The entire family and I were tore up. Never again! It just makes my blood boil how people dump their pets and their garbage on us and think nothing of it.

01-12-2006, 12:12 Post: 122644
kthompson

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Dumped Dogs

Chief,
I realize this varies but if you find someone who dumps anything with such as their address in it you may have your state or county go after them on littering laws. Our county is really firm on that.

Shame it is next to impossible to do same with most animals.

01-12-2006, 12:18 Post: 122647
Chief

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Dumped Dogs

KT, I am not above digging through the trash and finding an old reciept or bill with a name and phone number. I have done this 2 times already and had a state troop pay a visit to one who came and picked up the mess and the other came and cleaned it up when I called.

01-12-2006, 12:41 Post: 122653
Iowafun

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Dumped Dogs

I hate it when people dump animals. My female mutt is a former pound dog. We needed to run and people didn't knwo that or care to run her. I lived in a location where I could have her chase me on the ATV. Worked great and after 5 miles at 25 mph, she's start to mellow out.

I have problems with white trash folk tossing litter in my ditch. The beer cans are the worse if I don't see them before the mower hits them. Sends shredded aluminum all over. I currently have some sort of bottle and hubcap in the ditch. It's worse in summer when the kids have the windows open or they toss the McD's garbage in the back of the truck to blow out.

01-12-2006, 21:08 Post: 122660
steve4300

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 Dumped Dogs

People around here like to drop off cats, I finally caught one he whied only 4 lbs. got him well ,had him fixed turned out to be one of the most loveable cats we have ever had. someone even dropped off a flock of chickens. I personally wont pay for a dog or cat. My present dog a black lab / golden retriever mix cost me $75.00 at the pound fixed , shots and good manner, very smart to boot.It does make me mad when someone drops off an animal.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Current Events Forum

Thread 122620 Filter by Poster:
Carldarnell 3 | Chief 3 | DeTwang 1 | Iowafun 3 | kthompson 5 | Peters 6 | steve4300 2 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
Coachlarry

John Deere Gator - Input shaft spline or keyed
Input shaft spline or keyed

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ guns for self defense
+ Problem Poster
+ women AHHHHH
+ America The Greatest Country on Earth
+ Neighbor easement problem
+ Weddings
+ Tuff Cop
+ My job just went offshore
+ Dealing PROPERLY with a terrorist O