discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Buying Ranch Farm Acreage Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 01-19-2002, 15:36 Post: 34717
Dreamer
2002-01-19 15:36:11
 Buying that Perfect Small Farm

A few years ago I was talking with my brother on a long drive, and I told him I had this vision, of getting out of the 9-5 as I was in my early 50's. I had this picture of buying a place with a nice house on 50 to 200 acres of land with a gentle contour to it, but not flat like in Indiana.

Anyway, the picture continues... Property taxes low, schools good (got little ones in Kindergarten and low grades still). Rent out some of the land for haying etc.

And on it goes.

My wife and I still would like to do this. The question is where. We are in the midatlantic area and when we drive around it seems too crowded. too expensive for the dream.

Does anyone have a place like this in North america they have found to fit this bill????

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 01-20-2002, 21:21 Post: 34806
Bojo

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Dreamer, you ask much, but if you are willing to work hard and pay attention to details, you will receive. Only you can decide the "where" question of your farm, as anywhere can be the right place if it meets your goals and objectives. First off, don't limit yourself to listed properties. Seek ground that meets your objectives, period. If the propertyt is listed with a real estate broker, then you must compete with everyone else in the market. If not, then do your homework on the property in question and write the landowner(s) a decent letter stating your objectives. State in the letter that if they are willing to consider selling, you are willing to do all of the ground work necessary to close a deal satisfactory to both parties. Since you are initiating the matter, you must be willing to do the necessary legal work and basically make it as easy as possible for them. If a dialogue opens with the landowner, do the following: Offer to pay for the legal survey; state that you will arrange your own financing and that you will pay for all costs like title search fees, etc.; indicate that you will write a buy/sell (purchase) agreemen with the landowner and that they (the landowner) may select a lawyer of their own choosing to review the agreement, and then offer to pay for their lawyer's services. And don't forget to mention that since no realtor is involved, the landowner has no commission to pay the real estate broker. This offers the landowner the easiest way to sell their land, and offers you the opportunity to buy what you want. No matter how you buy the farm here are things to consider for the perfect farm: Are the soils good? (go to your local USDA-Natural Resources Conservation Service office and get the soil information, it's free and will tell you everything from home site development potential to crop yield data); Check the neighbors for local well depths and water purity; Where is the nearest 3-phase power if needed (for irrigation pumps if in such climates); Close to a town of your liking? Limited traffic on the roads surrounding the property? Ask about adjacent landowner intentions (any new pig farms or dairies planned?) Is the area in a zoned "impact area" (protected from certain developments like subdivisions, etc.); Can the original property be "split" to the acreage desired for your farm? (a local planning & zoning question)? In a flood zone? Can you build there? Enough soil depth and type for a septic drain field? Ask these questions and more, and you will find your perfect farm. Sound like a lot of work? It is, but consider this: If you do the work, it gets done your way, which is the right way. Leave it to somebody else, and you are bound by their objectives and their homework. Do your homework now, and have the place for the rest of your life with no regrets. Else just settle for less, and live accordingly. One thing about a farm done right, you will have a lifetime of what my wife and I call "Farm Stories"--- the stories we can't wait to tell each other about every day: "Saw mama wood duck with 12 babies at Duck Beach today"; "Saw 50 quail down at the Corn Corner this morning"; "Saw a doe with 2 fawns at Goose Point", etc. Good luck in your search for Farm Stories.

01-21-2002, 07:14 Post: 34814
TomG

TP Contributor

Probably plenty properties around here. However, I can't exactly say where here is since we've been subjected to market value property tax assessment.

A couple of comments about buying rural land: Maybe it's just around here, but first thing is to check if the property has a residential occupancy permit and was used as a principal residence. There are a fair number of folks around here that kept cottages while they still were in the city and intended to retire to their cottages—at cottage around here can include a workable farm or timber stand. The properties were classed as recreational use. A fair number received some rude shocks when they wanted to convert recreational to residential use. The structures had to come up to current codes, and that meant doing things like converting 4" walls to 6" walls. Some properties were too small for a septic system and dug well, and drilled walls had to be put in. Some properties couldn't have septic systems at all.

Second thing is to have an environmental inspection done before committing to buy. There's no insurance coverage for existing environmental hazards. Cleanups can be required and can be expensive. All sorts of things happen to rural properties that may need attention and may not be apparent to typical buyers. For example, we inherited 400-gallons of used oil and an old car used as a septic system along with our camp.

01-22-2002, 08:24 Post: 34842
Still Dreaming
2002-01-22 00:00:00

Wow you guys have given me so many good thoughts on the land acquisition subject. You have also brought me back to the reality of the many issues involved in land purchase.

One Of the guys on the board "Paul Fox" posted some pix of his Octagonal shed under the Home building tab and I looked at the pix he had at the root of his sight. He calls his farm "Someday Farm"

I was impressed by what he put together, you should all take a look at it. I\'d love to hear from others who have found there "someday" farm, and perhaps someday I\'ll find my "maybe farm".

Thanks guys.

Link:   someday farm 

01-22-2002, 09:41 Post: 34844
Paul Fox

Dreamer, thanks for the kind words about my little web page.

I fell into what I have, by and large. My wife owned the house and just under 2 acres when I married her. My Mother and Father-in-Law lived right behind us with another 2+ acres. When they retired and moved on, they gave it to us, giving us a little over 4 acres.

That was in 1974. I spent until 1990 in the Navy. By the time I retired, the house and land were paid for. I lucked out and spent my last two years stationed locally, so I started really going to work on the place in 1988. I've managed what you see in 13 years of more-or-less constant work, without going too deeply in debt. Only about half of the land was usable when I started, now it's all cleared and rehabilitated and in pasture or garden.

I also got a deal I couldn't refuse on 19+ acres of second-growth timber with about 150' of road frontage. Initial purchase was intended to give my daughter a place to put a mobile home. Now that I've got the initial 4 acres the way I want it, it's time to start on the woodlot. S-i-L has cleared/thinned a couple acres of it to the point where I can keep it mowed with the brush hog. 4 or 5 of it is under water thanks to the beavers. That only leaves 12 acres to fence and manicure.

Assuming, of course, that I live to be about 106...

03-18-2002, 22:35 Post: 36482
Todd Wilson

Filter by User

Eastern Kansas is good. Western Kansas is good but you wont get your slight rolling hills! It will be flat like Indiana!

I share the same dream with you!

Todd

05-07-2002, 00:56 Post: 38236
fractal
2002-05-07 00:00:00

Depends on what you consider reasonably priced. You can get some nice property in the foothills around here, award winning schools, ag zoned, 100 acre minimum for 10-15k / acre for property alone. Anything smaller and you are paying as much for the house than for the property.

How much were you thinking of spending?

05-07-2002, 13:45 Post: 38262
Todd Wilson

Filter by User

10-15k per acre 100 acre minimum? Who can afford 1.5 million dollars????????????????????

Around my parts you get REAL LUCKY to find a house on 10 acres for less then 100000 dollars. Making a 1000$ a month house payment seems a little steep around here considering jobs pay 7$-9$ an hour. Making $50000 a year which is considered a GOOD job in Kansas thats almost an entire 2 week paycheck.

Most new houses on any kind of land like 5 acres and above are bring $250000plus around here.

Todd

05-07-2002, 14:29 Post: 38263
DennisCTB

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

When I was in Florida last week, I met someone from Wisconsin, a place where I thought land was cheap. But he was telling me that land that was going for 8k an acre had popped up to 15-18k recently.

This has certainly blown my bubble about being able to move away from NJ. Down in FL where we usually rent a townhouse, 5 years ago the TH we stay in went for about $200k now its selling for $850k.

I certainly have not seen that type of appreciation on my house in NJ!

Dennis
CTB

05-07-2002, 14:59 Post: 38265
pbenven

Wow, that's expensive. I'm looking at a piece of land up here that has an old dilapidated shack on it. The thing is, as long as that shack stays standing, there's a right to build. If a year elapses after the collapse of the shack, then the property gets zoned agricultural. Anyways, it's 8 acres - 5 field and 3 maple sugar bush. The guy is asking 11K CDN for it. I was going to offer 8.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Buying Ranch Farm Acreage Forum

Thread 34717 Filter by Poster:
Abbeywoods 2 | AnnBrush 1 | bdh2 1 | BillMullens 2 | Bojo 1 | buncle 3 | Chief 7 | code3mmc 1 | DennisCTB 5 | dpoplawski 1 | Dreamer 1 | dsg 2 | fractal 1 | grinder 1 | kangaroo31 1 | keith rose 1 | kthompson 1 | kwschumm 6 | Mecheng 1 | Murf 11 | ncrunch32 1 | Paul Fox 1 | pbenven 1 | PeterA 1 | Peters 4 | StephenR 4 | Still Dreaming 1 | THE ANSWER MAN 1 | Todd Wilson 3 | TomG 1 | TumbaDowns 2 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
DennisCTB

Current Events - Winter Storm
Winter Storm

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ Buying that Perfect Small Farm
+ Brokenarrows new place
+ LAND LAWS
+ Land w overhead High power lines
+ Ergh Man buying a new place sucks
+ Av8r s Movement
+ A bit of God s Green Acres
+ Any Ideas
+ bought some land