discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Buying Ranch Farm Acreage Forum

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [ 7 ] |      << Prev

04-09-2009, 09:05 Post: 161868
Murf

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Buying that Perfect Small Farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwschumm | view 161867
After living here for going on ten years now we just had our first theft.

That sucks!!

I'm extremely lucky, I have the opposite situation.

I got home from Florida to find that even though my employees were supposed to keep the driveway cleared of snow, the lane down the back to the shop was cleared also. When I went back to see why I found footprints to & from my shop door.

Fearing the worst I entered but found nothing disturbed except a note on the work-bench that read "Ted, you left the shop lights on again. Keith.".

It turns out I had indeed left the shop lights on, and a neighbour (who knows the 'secret' way in) had gone in to turn them off lest they burn for several weeks and tip someone off to the fact that I was away.

Randy, count on it!

Best of luck.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 04-09-2009, 10:22 Post: 161873
Chief

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwschumm | view 161867
Chief, good to hear you're still kicking.This is a timely post. After living here for going on ten years now we just had our first theft. Somebody cut the lock chain on my pallet forks and stole them. Bastards. I'm installing driveway sensors and a complete IP surveillance system that will notify me so I can view the cameras remotely, record video and trigger the alarm if necessary.I really, really want to put in an image processing system coupled with remote lasers that will put a red dot on the chest of any perpetrators but I'd probably get sued for taking out an eye.

Sorry to hear of your bad "AmeriKan neighbor" experience Ken.

I can tell you from experience that the Reconix RC60 is an OUTSTANDING time lapse camera. It has a 1/5th second trigger that can be set to take a burst of 5 pictures with each sensor reception of movement. It can also recognize upto 4 Gb of memory which = a LOT of pictures. It is VERY miserly on battery consumption. Mine is still on the intitial set of batteries I installed last August and the camera has taken well over 5,000 pictures. The batteries were at 78% last time I exchanged memory modules. Another nice thing is that they are pin # protected so a thief cannot use it if stolen. They come with provisions for a Master Lock Python locking cable.

They are a bit on the pricey side but WELL worth it. They WORK and work WELL.

http://www.reconyx.com/page.php?id=61

http://images.reconyx.com/file/RapidFire%20Manual%20Jan%202009.pdf

04-09-2009, 10:35 Post: 161876
kwschumm

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Thanks for the recommendation Randy. We don't really have anything to monitor that isn't in view of the house, around a one acre area. The rest of the property is heavily forested.

All equipment that won't fit in the garage and shed is chained to trees in view of the house, so cameras mounted on the house and connected to a central DVR should do the job. Some of those cameras are pretty pricey and I'm looking at about 8-12 cameras in total.

04-09-2009, 13:04 Post: 161881
kthompson

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Chief,

I can understand what you are saying and it is not just one area or one state or one part of this country and probably not the whole world either.

One thing you hit when you move into any community that has few people moving into or out of is relationships and the way any outsider is treated. This can even be true in the local community by even a change in Church or where you work. It is just human or inhuman which ever it really is. Another thing that makes rural life tough or can is the low number of people you live around. The attitude of one or two (or a few anyway)either good or bad has such a major influence as the total population is small compared to a more heavy population center.

I live about 7 miles from town, not in an isolated area by any means. There is a small subdivision at me of about 20 houses but on my side of the road no house for 1/4 mile one direction and none the other direction for about 1/2 mile. Have three adjoining farm land owners. One is father of friends we grew up with. The other two I know only because they are adjoining land owners. One treats us with respect and I watch his place for him. Have called him when I have had concerns for his place or the way his employees speed by us. Even called the law when I could not reach him regarding trespassors. The other is a liar, only cares about himself and only call I will make regarding his land is when someone there is breaking law that affects me. Which I have had to call on him and his friends once or twice. So out of my three adjoining land owners two get high praises and one gets terrible score so 1/3 or 33% are problems. Now if the problem person sells his land for subdivision then that one adjoining land owner becomes maybe 25 but more like 100. Ratios really change.

So guess you buy a place and only live next door to siblings and cousins...wait..not mine..rather have any of you. Smile

At same time, it is very possible the people bothering your property are not local. Or they may be some one who has visited you.

04-21-2009, 12:02 Post: 162211
TumbaDowns

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

yep i agree with you there KT when i brought my place it was a complete life style change for me, and settling into a small town can take awhile to get known, i live about 19 miles from town, and all though you do meet people in your daily business dealings it takes time. I found that when i took an off farm job in town a lot of things change. now I can walk down the main street and almost everyone calls me by my 1st name. my nearest neighbour is about 3 miles away as the crow flies but to get there by road is around 6 miles. My farm is small by local standards being 1750acres. but my neighbours are great, helping me pull a new calf when the mother had problems during calving, the other neighbour show me how to castrate bull calves with rings rather than cutting them. my neighbour have made me feel welcome to our little out of town community, even throwing me a surprise 60th birthday party.

04-21-2009, 12:11 Post: 162212
TumbaDowns

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

kwschumm
just emember to take the spark plug out of the chainsaw

04-22-2009, 08:42 Post: 162226
kwschumm

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TumbaDowns | view 162212
kwschummjust emember to take the spark plug out of the chainsaw

Laughing out loud The chainsaws are all locked up but if they want any of this stuff bad they'll probably have a set of bolt cutters. Quite a bit quieter.

04-22-2009, 10:17 Post: 162228
Murf

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwschumm | view 162226
Laughing out loud The chainsaws are all locked up but if they want any of this stuff bad they'll probably have a set of bolt cutters. Quite a bit quieter.

Ken, there's a rather devious way to keep your stuff protected if you think you just have one or two locals snooping around for easy to pick up stuff.

I did this a few years back, it works well.

Get a plastic jerry can and go to the local airport and have it filled with 100LL aviation fuel. Then leave it out near a shed or garage so a thief will think you've just left it out by mistake, the mistake will be theirs!

100LL is coloured blue so anybody stealing it thinks they've got 2 stroke mix.

Avgas burns very hot compared to regular gas, and since it has no lubricating oil even though it looks like it does, it burn out a 2 stroke motor in very short order.

After losing a motor or two they will quickly stop looking around your place for anything else.

If you know anybody at the local small engine shop, you can ask about burned out motors right after the fuel disappears. Laughing out loud

Best of luck.

04-22-2009, 10:36 Post: 162229
kwschumm

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf | view 162228
Ken, there's a rather devious way to keep your stuff protected if you think you just have one or two locals snooping around for easy to pick up stuff.I did this a few years back, it works well.Get a plastic jerry can and go to the local airport and have it filled with 100LL aviation fuel. Then leave it out near a shed or garage so a thief will think you've just left it out by mistake, the mistake will be theirs!100LL is coloured blue so anybody stealing it thinks they've got 2 stroke mix.Avgas burns very hot compared to regular gas, and since it has no lubricating oil even though it looks like it does, it burn out a 2 stroke motor in very short order.After losing a motor or two they will quickly stop looking around your place for anything else. If you know anybody at the local small engine shop, you can ask about burned out motors right after the fuel disappears. Laughing out loudBest of luck.

Smile That'll teach 'em. Good trick Murf!

04-22-2009, 12:35 Post: 162231
Murf

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwschumm | view 162229
Smile That'll teach 'em. Good trick Murf!

Oh it certainly does, it cost a former neighbour of mine a new motor for his and his son's 4 wheelers.

It was pretty tough for him to deny he knew his kid was up to no good after his motor toasted too!!!

Best of luck.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [ 7 ] |      << Prev

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Buying Ranch Farm Acreage Forum

Thread 34717 Filter by Poster:
Abbeywoods 2 | AnnBrush 1 | bdh2 1 | BillMullens 2 | Bojo 1 | buncle 3 | Chief 7 | code3mmc 1 | DennisCTB 5 | dpoplawski 1 | Dreamer 1 | dsg 2 | fractal 1 | grinder 1 | kangaroo31 1 | keith rose 1 | kthompson 1 | kwschumm 6 | Mecheng 1 | Murf 11 | ncrunch32 1 | Paul Fox 1 | pbenven 1 | PeterA 1 | Peters 4 | StephenR 4 | Still Dreaming 1 | THE ANSWER MAN 1 | Todd Wilson 3 | TomG 1 | TumbaDowns 2 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
Coachlarry

John Deere Gator - 1200A Secondary Cap Screw
1200A Secondary Cap Screw

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ Buying that Perfect Small Farm
+ Brokenarrows new place
+ LAND LAWS
+ Land w overhead High power lines
+ Ergh Man buying a new place sucks
+ Av8r s Movement
+ A bit of God s Green Acres
+ Any Ideas
+ bought some land