discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Buying Ranch Farm Acreage Forum

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [ 6 ] | 7 |      << Prev | Next >>

06-13-2005, 10:16 Post: 112315
Murf

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Buying that Perfect Small Farm

I have been able, so far, to get by with a small boat too (picture # 5) but after cutting through 4' rollers on the Sundancer and not even spilling the girls wine I'm starting to think maybe I need a big boat again.

The price made "she who must be obeyed" merely laugh at the suggestion, however, having a head & galley made her re-think her position a little....

But I think the 390 is a little too big, maybe a 25'ish foot size pocket cruiser.

Best of luck.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 06-13-2005, 10:29 Post: 112316
Chief

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I had a Sorrento 25 with about 800 hours on her. She was not too bad to launch and tow. Any larger would be a different story.

I uploaded picture number 12 which is the whole rig ready to go on the road. I got rid of the Suburban (junk, last GM vehicle I will ever own) and the Sea Ray got sold last September.

Now I am making farm payments on a hopefully appreciating asset instead of the hole in the water in which money is tossed! Laughing out loud! ;o)

06-13-2005, 14:04 Post: 112324
ncrunch32

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

I have owned a 23 Wellcraft, then a 32 Chris Craft with gen, air - the works. We had lots of fun on the 32 but it became too all consuming. We did have some great adventures on it (1000 mile trip out erie canal - up St Lawrence to Montreal - down to Champlain and home).

I now have a 21 regal which I like the best. Pack her up at home - roll it 2 miles down hill to the hudson - crank her up to 55 MPH and have some fun - then take her back home with me. Minimal investment, no dock fees, cheaper fuel, no zebra mussels to worry about. I bought it in private deal for $14K with 60 hours on it.

06-30-2007, 09:00 Post: 143334
DennisCTB

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

bump

Just heard that NJ where I am has the most congested roads (no surprise), while SC has the best, where I am thinking of heading.

Any body know how the upstate schools are for Middle and High School?

07-18-2007, 17:51 Post: 143832
kangaroo31

TP Contributor

Vineland is in South Jersey, close Cap May. been there couple times, as Dennis said, very crowed. Own a small farm is my dream too. Just did it.
Closing next week. It is in Orange County, NY. Close NJ north border. The price is not that crazy. total 36+ acres, 4 acres highland can build house, others are muck land, half woods, half open old farm land, black dirt.

04-08-2009, 14:24 Post: 161839
Chief

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

It has been quite some time since someone has replied to this thread. I felt compelled to revisit and update my thoughts and opinion of moving to the "country" and buying that "Perfect Small Farm".

Let me start off with getting directly to the point.......this quest is a MYTH!

We have been living here on our farm, ranch, whatever you want to call it for almost 5 years.

I still MUST say this is some of the MOST beautiful land in the country if not the world. Indeed God's country. That part is not the MYTH. Those who think people who live in the country are "down home, nice country folks" are MYTH propagators.

After living here for almost 5 years, our ENTIRE family has come to the conclusion INDEPENDENT of one another that we live in a beautiful place BUT the local inhabitants, their culture, values, and morals would make Sodom & Gomorrah cry in shame if not make lucifer blush.

I don't think I have EVER lived in a more destestable or dispicable local culture or come across so many vile, inbred, corrupt, shameless, unscrupulous, and immoral people.

We are where we are, and it is just NOT in me to give in and move.

We stand our ground, make strides forward, and inspite of unbelievably CORRUPT, ROTTEN, and CONTEMPTABLE local law enforcement, have been able to bring in outside law enforcement agencies to effect some arrests.

Sadly, I think this may NOT be limited to our area, but has metastisized to a nationwide epidemic. I read about meth cooking, pot growing, child abuse, sexual abuse, burglary rings, corrupt cops, and corrupt political officials not only in our area but across the nation.

Folks, remember the 3 rules of real estate.........location, location, and location! Do your research VERY carefully and in pain staking detail. It will be effort well spent.

Please pardon me if I come across a bit jaded and disappointed. It is difficult to recalibrate one's outlook when 9.7 out of 10 you live among is a backward, racist, xenophobic, corrupt, inbred, illiterate, immoral, backwoods billibob bumpkin. Wink yeah right

Trust me on this.......The "Great State of Tennessee" ain't all its cracked up to be..........at least speaking for the area we live in. Smile

If you do decide to try your luck here.......I have a few pointers.

build your house FAR back off of ANY public road

arm yourself WELL

be prepared to be your OWN protection AND law enforcement

lock up your valuables WELL....gun vault bolted to floor,etc. double deadbolt locks on SOLID core doors

get SERVERAL well trained watch dogs who are aggressive about strangers calling

drive alarm is a MUST

install time laspe, heat/IR activated, passive IR (no flash/no red glow) cameras to obervse your house, shop, barn, etc.

If possible, reach out to your neighbors and establish good relations to help each other out. I did and the value is PRICELESS.

post your property every 100 ft. or so.

put up LOCKED gates at ALL entrances

If possible, hunt lease your land to a RESPONSIBLE, conservative, and family oriented hunt club/group. This will help you put more eyes and ears out on your land.

Perhaps this post may initiate some others to follow up and post their experineces as well. I SURE hope other have more positive comments to post.

Overall.....all thing considered, I think the Lord has blessed us in unimaginable ways and we have MUCH to be thankful for. In time, I feel things will get better. It will just take a lot of time and grand jury proceedings to place the scumbags in prison where they belong.

04-08-2009, 16:45 Post: 161850
Murf

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

That's really too bad Randy. So Sad

If you ever give up on that area there's a nice piece of river front just up the road from me.

I'd even let you use my new heli-pad. Laughing out loud

Keep the faith brother!

Best of luck.

04-08-2009, 17:18 Post: 161851
DennisCTB

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Hi Randy,

I was really into getting to the "life in the country" with a small farm like you have 10 years ago when my kids were small. Over the years my desire for it decreased, probably as I saw how much of my time was consumed just taking care of the 5 acres I have now So Sad

Your story sounds like that old movie "Walking Tall", sorry to hear that it has become your reality!

Thanks for the update and keep us posted, best regards to you and your family,

Dennis

04-08-2009, 21:58 Post: 161858
Chief

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

In some ways looking after a few acres is much easier and enjoyable but you loose the sense of privacy, seclusion, and remoteness.

I like being able to go "water" the grass ANYTIME I want. The horses, and other live stock bring MUCH joy and accomplishment to our daughters.

I think something horrible has happened to what WAS once America. The people living in it may be AmeriKan citizens but they are NOT Americans. Respect for other people's property and liberties is nonexistent.

Murf, if you ever decide to make down this way, drop in for a visit. We have an airfield just a few miles from the place. As you have probably seen in the classified section, I have a 1340 acre parcel that recently became available for hunt lease. I lease a number of properties out to other huntclubs too. It is a crying shame when the folks you hunt lease to are more fun to be around than the locals. :O)

04-09-2009, 08:37 Post: 161867
kwschumm

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Chief, good to hear you're still kicking.

This is a timely post. After living here for going on ten years now we just had our first theft. Somebody cut the lock chain on my pallet forks and stole them. Bastards. I'm installing driveway sensors and a complete IP surveillance system that will notify me so I can view the cameras remotely, record video and trigger the alarm if necessary.

I really, really want to put in an image processing system coupled with remote lasers that will put a red dot on the chest of any perpetrators but I'd probably get sued for taking out an eye.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [ 6 ] | 7 |      << Prev | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Buying Ranch Farm Acreage Forum

Thread 34717 Filter by Poster:
Abbeywoods 2 | AnnBrush 1 | bdh2 1 | BillMullens 2 | Bojo 1 | buncle 3 | Chief 7 | code3mmc 1 | DennisCTB 5 | dpoplawski 1 | Dreamer 1 | dsg 2 | fractal 1 | grinder 1 | kangaroo31 1 | keith rose 1 | kthompson 1 | kwschumm 6 | Mecheng 1 | Murf 11 | ncrunch32 1 | Paul Fox 1 | pbenven 1 | PeterA 1 | Peters 4 | StephenR 4 | Still Dreaming 1 | THE ANSWER MAN 1 | Todd Wilson 3 | TomG 1 | TumbaDowns 2 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
DennisCTB

Honda - 2014 Honda CRV to have CVT Transmission
2014 Honda CRV to have CVT Transmission

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ Buying that Perfect Small Farm
+ Brokenarrows new place
+ LAND LAWS
+ Land w overhead High power lines
+ Ergh Man buying a new place sucks
+ Av8r s Movement
+ A bit of God s Green Acres
+ Any Ideas
+ bought some land