discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Just For Fun Off Topic Forum

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | [ 4 ] |      << Prev

09-07-2006, 17:26 Post: 134060
Peters

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Our Government

Here we also have no codes and no inspectors. I think the map on the following link tells the tale.

The ownership concept only works if you own it and live in it forever. If no one cuts corners and does his best there is no problem, but human natures is such that we end up not knowing what is in the walls.

Link:   Ok health and safety 

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 09-08-2006, 08:02 Post: 134079
DenisS

Filter by User
 Our Government

Re: inspections vs. fire prevention.

Gotta disagree with you here. If I understand you correctly, you're linking stringent inspection regime with fire prevention. Although a strict regime may reduce the incidence of fires, the lack of it does not correlate well with the incidence of fire-related deaths (i.e. Wyoming has the lowest rate but is not known as an overregulated state, Idaho is 3rd lowest). Furthermore, federal funding for fire prevention does not necessarily translate into fire prevention (despite receiving this funding, the southern states and Alaska are still the highest in fire-related deaths).

But here is what I do see:

Quote from the link:
"African Americans and Native Americans are at higher risk for fire-related deaths than any other race or ethnicity."

Again, a nearly all white Wyoming, without regulations, manages to stay fire-free.

Conclusions:
-- Some folks have harder time dealing with modern amenities such as gas and electricity than others.
-- You can't pay your way out of stupidity.

09-08-2006, 09:41 Post: 134087
Peters

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Our Government

Denis this is the only rates I could find which is death from fire not fire incident. There are a number reason for house fires and even with inspections someone can do something wrong.

Wyoming has state wide electrical codes and licencing of electricians. This is not the case in MS and AL. You can have regulations and not be burden some.

We lost a house and everything in MA do to a home owner breaking codes. We had the house inspected but you can not easily see in the walls.

09-08-2006, 11:47 Post: 134090
DenisS

Filter by User
 Our Government

Eric,
Below are a few arcticles that deal with the more broad issue of accidental injury (of which fire-related morbidity/mortality is a part). I'm sure you can access them through your sci. lit. access service.

My point is that you cannot eliminate social problems by government regulation (including overbearing construction regulations). People have to address their problems on an individual level. Our problem is that responsible people end up under the same set of regulations that are meant to protect the irresponsible and stupid. Maybe safety regulations should only be applied to "stupid zones".

Durkin MS, Davidson LL, Kuhn L, et al. Low-income neighborhoods and the risk of severe pediatric injury: a small-area analysis in northern Manhattan. Am J Public Health 1994;84:587-92.

Bourguet CC, McArtor RE. Unintentional injuries. Risk factors in preschool children. Am J Dis Child 1989;143:556-9.

Pomerantz WJ, Dowd MD, Buncher CR. Relationship between socioeconomic factors and severe childhood injuries. J Urban Health 2001;78:141-51

Scholer SJ, Hickson GB, Ray WA. Sociodemographic factors identify US infants at high risk of injury mortality. Pediatrics 1999;103:1183-8.

09-08-2006, 14:49 Post: 134203
Peters

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Our Government

Denis;
I am not for over regulation and an army of inspectors, but I am not sure no control is a utopia either. Part of the problem is the inspector’s willingness to work against the home owner, his employer rather than for him. I see a similar problem with the police in this country. Beaurocrats tend to bred more beaurocrats and create work for their children.

I see spec. houses going up in MS with no roof structure to speak of. If we ever have an ice storm again the roofs will be down. If we have another wind storm I will be picking up pieces of these roofs in my yard. We will all be paying the bill in our insurance rates. I feel sorry for the families that will buy these houses as most have no idea what to look for.

09-08-2006, 15:20 Post: 134208
DenisS

Filter by User
 Our Government

You're right about the inspectors and beurocrats.

An inspector should be an optional safety feature for the homeowner, much like when you buy a house, you get an inspector to make sure you know what you're getting. It would be an easy task to scan the walls with a hand-held ultrasound device and see how good the frame is. Or go up in the attic and see how good the rafters are. The buyers need to take responsibility for what they are buying and when that happens, the builders will make sure they build quality homes or people won't buy them. Now, all they have to do is influence the specs legislature by buying off county and state officials, then claim that the house is sound according to the specs. BS! Let the private sector decide what is good enough and then the quality will go up.

I bet when you built your house, you didn't need an inspector to tell you how well you want it built. You took the responsibility to ensure that it was over and above the minimum specs. It would be nice if the system didn't stifle others from taking responsibility; let people make their own mistakes and make their own decisions, they might just learn something and be less reliant on government. Oh, I forgot, we wouldn't want that...

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | [ 4 ] |      << Prev

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Just For Fun Off Topic Forum

Thread 133783 Filter by Poster:
Art White 2 | Billy 1 | DenisS 9 | Iowafun 1 | kthompson 5 | lbrown59 1 | Murf 2 | ncrunch32 3 | oneace 1 | Peters 4 | SG8NUC 3 | WillieH 1 | wingwiper 3 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
bumpassgator

John Deere Gator - Clutch Weights
Clutch Weights

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ Joke o the day
+ Vandalism or Civil Matter
+ Merry Christmas
+ -17 degrees F
+ Colonoscopy Tuesday how did your s go
+ New Implements
+ Merry Christmas to all TP Members
+ Youth Christmas Gift Gun
+ What is your self-worth