discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Plumbing Forum

Page 1 | [ 2 ] |      << Prev

01-21-2005, 14:56 Post: 104644
Murf

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Water to the garage

There is an alternative, depending on where you live.

In my case it is just too far from the house to the shop, about 500', so what I did was basically put a second well in for the shop.

You are not likely looking for potable water, I wasn't, just to wash hands, cars, trucks, tractors and flush the toilet.

In many cases there is more than enough ground water to get by with just a sand point 20'ish feet down. If there isn't a lot of water, or you will need lots of water for washing stuff, you can bury a tank (new, unused septic or otherwise) in the yard with a couple of holes in it under the yard and let the water table fill it, that way you always have a good supply ready when you need it. Usually you can also get the local turf company to drop a tanker full of water for a few bucks, it's $50 around here.

My shop doesn't have a septic system either, just a big tank buried in the yard. Once a year I spend about $150 and the guy pumps both the house (for safety) and the shop tanks dry.

Best of luck.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 01-21-2005, 19:41 Post: 104654
brokenarrow

Filter by User
 Water to the garage

Av8
What would be the difference between a outside water spicket off your house and a water spicket attached to the garage? You could always have it pointed OUTSIDE on the garage wall for inspection with a shut off inside the heated garage. (Hey if down the road the darn thing turns around and is pointed inside oh well) Just think about how nice it would be to have that water there and ready anytime you need it. (sorry buddy, had to throw that in) Laughing out loud.

01-23-2005, 14:02 Post: 104771
denwood

Filter by User
 Water to the garage

I like brokenarrows idea, where there is a will there is a way even if it is a sunday or nighttime assignment. I ran water to my garage but it is not heated. Where I live, many people use frost free hydrants, 36 inch is all we need. I don't know if they have them past 5 feet depth, but then it certainly wouldn't be connected to the garage if that is what you need for code. Then you could plumb the garage and run a garden hose jumper to a faucet on the outside of the garage to fire up the inside. Warm weather only, but it beats waiting for the next house and is cheap. You could use it in winter just not leave it hooked up long.

01-24-2005, 21:03 Post: 104857
brokenarrow

Filter by User
 Water to the garage

Denwood
I am not promoting breaking the law, but Geez, whats the difference if you run a darn hose from the hose to the garage (No drain needed with that?) or if you have a spicket in it (without a drain?)? Is it worry about runoff from toxic materials? If so you would have to ban a hose to the garage too? I must be missing something with the drain rule?

01-24-2005, 22:25 Post: 104867
denwood

Filter by User
 Water to the garage

Well you know 2 of the government's jobs: protecting us from ourselves and lining their own pocket at the same time. In my state, the drain rule was explained to me as once water of any sort enters a drain of any sort, it becomes wastewater and must be treated like it is full of turds. They probably tied that in to having a permenant supply tied in, but I have not heard of that here. I am under the impression you only tie in to septic if there is a drain present. We have a sort of unspoken rule here that if the project is minor(something that may not obviously need a permit), you just do it. Then the codes officer finds you and nicely says,"You need to get a permit for that". You say "ok I'll go get one". Then he says "no problem". We needed a permit to put up new drywall where it was water damaged while rehabbing a house , They caught us, got the $400 for a permit, never inspected afterwards. Another rental had a roof, it wore out, we put new shingles on, they said we need a $200 permit for that "home improvement". I say it was repairing an existing roof that was damaged not an improvement. They want their 2% and no inspection, so it's not like they are looking to make sure it is done right. When we settled on a couple houses last month, they told us there was a sidewalk issue. If there is a crack, you must replace to settle. Well there were several so to get out CFO's, we replaced them. Of course you have to have a permit, but they missed us on that one? It is almost a game sometimes.

09-20-2005, 21:33 Post: 116696
dieselpusher

Water to the garage

In Arizona you run the water and gas (I think) in the same trench if you dig the trench with a shelf. I think the shelf has to be 1' higher than the bottom of the trench. Our water where I live(4000ft alt.) has to be 1' deep by code. I went just over 2'deep with the water so it would stay cooler in the summer. I know you can run water and elec. in the same trench with a shelf.

09-20-2005, 21:48 Post: 116699
funchy

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 Water to the garage

Depth is determined by frost line in your area. When in doubt put it a little deeper.

Be aware the Miss Utility/BUD programs only locate utilities going from the curb! They couldn't tell me where my propane line was from the house to the underground tank, and my gas company doesn't seem to know or care. They also don't know where my septic is; other than the general location of tank and drain field my county health dept has, nobody can tell me where it is but me. Just something to keep in mind.

Definitely bury it FAR from that gas line. Last thing you want is to bump into that line when digging your water line.

If you're not ready to install sewer lines from the garage, why not just install a hydrant right outside your garage for water?

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page 1 | [ 2 ] |      << Prev

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Plumbing Forum

Thread 104555 Filter by Poster:
AV8R 2 | brokenarrow 3 | denwood 2 | dieselpusher 1 | funchy 1 | grinder 1 | hardwood 1 | kyvette 1 | Murf 2 | NHDaveD 2 | yooperpete 1 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
candoarms

Landscape Maintenance - Elm Tree Removal Minot North Dakota
Elm Tree Removal Minot North Dakota

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ Septic Tank Pumping -- Do you need to
+ Septic System-Problem
+ Water softeners
+ Pex vs Copper replace Copper Pin holes
+ Well Water Problems
+ D I Y septic system
+ Sink overflows
+ Drain field and vegetable garden
+ Jacuzzi Tubs Bacteria Sanitize and Septics