discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

Forum Index

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Current Events Forum

Page 1 | 2 | [ 3 ] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 |      << Prev | Next >>

02-08-2004, 11:51 Post: 76340
lamarbur

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Another story the media Will Not cover

Been reading this thread with interest and thought I would respond by placing, probably tractor points longest ever reply. It is more or less a bio, with many things thrown in.. Military, run for office, close the borders, the illegals are taking jobs, entitlements are out of hand, and so on. Some will read this as I am possibly whining.. I am not. I am stating how one person can and has done almost all of the above, (military, run for office, etc)..

I did 2 tours with SOG group out of Kontum SVN or the total of 1200 plus flight hours as a Huey crew chief. Couldn't pass the eye exam and couldn't see far enough in the future to sign up as warrant and 5 year hitch, which was the way it was. Flew daily right up to Dec 17th of 71, where I took a 51 caliber and 2 AK hollow points through the leg. Have spent just over 65 months in VA hospitals the last 30 or so years trying to hang onto the leg. Entitlement, Yes, 70%, and I worked for it, the hard way. I don't see my particular instance as a give away.

I hear more times than not, I or other vets shouldn't be allowed this entitlement because we knew what we were going into.. We also, back then, had contracts of which when one was hurt, that portion was to be covered by the federal gvt. It is much harder to fight the gvt system for an entitlement than it is to go to war. When I was finally up and walking, there were no jobs, long gas lines and things were not good, left Army and it's hospital system March of 74. Answered an add one day, become an owner-operator of tractor trailers and your own boss. I did that, hauling military trade shows and gvt computer systems for a North American van lines agent that did only electronics. Bought first truck in May of 74 and several bigger, newer, and classier looking rigs later, left March of 91.

Legs were really bad and I was in and out of VA hosptitals next 3 years. No job, 30 % disability at the time, and I decided to run for local office. Been elected to highest position in town, that of town selectman, constable, cemetery, deputy fire chief, highway dep't, economic developement, and many ad-hoc committee's.. Sometimes holding 3 different positions at once.

All this taught me was to watch out for unions. They ask and receive much more than is available or is reasonable for the given area. It's nice to help yourself, but not go so far as to break the tax payers back and particularly the small business which get hurt the most. I have found, and I am talking Massachusetts only,, liberals have taken it too far. Big business? No such thing left. Service industries only. An employer is forced to pay extreme workers comp, un-employment insurance, part of Mass care costs, which was known as welfare health..

We don't want to hurt peoples feelings and have to be politically correct, don't we? With all these costs to a business, which isn't paid for by the employee, in fact most employees REFUSE to believe it happens,, they are forced to find alternate means. Big business has gone foreign.. Low labor per hour costs, hidden costs are almost non existent, no union systems that push for more than is reasonable, and the lists can go on and on, local city taxes, state, fed, water-sewage, health, electric, heat, you get the idea.

Somehow, in the last 20 years, kids and young grown ups feel they should start out at top dollar and not work very hard physically. I'm not sure how this started but am sure of todays attitudes towards honest work. Now, we are mad because illegals, particularly Mexicans sneak over and do these meanial jobs for much less. In the meantime and our ultra liberal attitude, the illegals get pregnant, give birth for free at some local hospital, and that child is pretty much guaranteed free health and whatever else the kids parents can obtain.

We're in a situation, where do the parents belong? Are they now half Mexican and half US citizens. All this is doing is creating a bigger and bigger mess. Over the years we pushed for and obtained for the most part, more than probably should have happened. The ultra liberals who feel free health, free colloege and whatever, it is a nice thought. However, it is not reality. Somewhere, somehow, someone has to pay for all this. Family values went down the tubes in the early 70's. Kids have more rights than any parent ever will, at least in todays' standards.

Our overall allowance to being liberal and free, has been costing us these losses, slow but sure. It is not 100% of the problem, I see it as a large percentage of STARTING this downward trend that's been going on for some 20 years now.. We have to stop asking for more than can be produced, whether it's money, legal rights, law suits payoffs, benefits, and? Somewhere we have to, as a NATION, get back some values, think out the problems short and long term, then fix them.. I come off my high horse now and have said my piece. I could go on quite a bit more, but, am afraid I lready said too much.. Have a great tractor day..

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 02-08-2004, 13:42 Post: 76347
F350Lawman

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Yes, I have seen the Montana prices and they are high compared to what they were. On the upside I would be selling a decent size( for here) property in a skyrocketing market so it should still be in my favor. Now having a neighbor from CA shuffling from wine tastings to Sierras club meetings in his Range Rover mght be too much to take Smile I'll need plenty of land for a buffer!

Being born in America should NOT make you automatically a citizen. If your parents crossed the border right after Mom stared having labor pains just so the Border Patrol could take you to the hospital, that IS NOT what citizenship by birth was meant to be. We have hospitals marketing to wealthy families in Mexico, Korea, the Phillipines, etc to come in and stay in a hospital suite. The baby gets citizenship then returns home with future opportunity to return legally as an adult.

The all volunteer military is a complex issue. The quality of soldiers seems to be high but I guess the numbers are a problem. On the other hand have you looked at typical teenager (not all but MOST) these days. 12-18 hours of TV/video games, total lack of exercise, pampering at home, spoon feeding at school, they consider having to carry a bulky lasy year's model cell phone to be neglect...it's not pretty. You can draft those folks but you can't erase 18 years of living a life that prepares them for nothing.

I play ball at a local club. There simply aren't too many young people partcipating in sports. You have the same kids at the basketball, soccer, football, gymnastics, etc. The other 70-75% is home playing Playstation. I have a 13 year old son and I look at his peers, I have never heard such whining, excuse making, complaining in my life. I remember when me and my friends were that age and you insisted you could do anything. If a father said "son you can't lift that, I'll do it", you knew the kid was going to do it even if it KILLED them. Now all I hear is "oh, how much does that weigh, I can't move that, it's heavy". I also remember playing sports with the fathers at that time when the teeangers began to eclipse the fathers in athletic ability. I look at the average kids and unless you're sick or injured, you better be OLD if these guys are more athletic than you.

I don't mean to be totally negative. I will say that these kids are very bright in many ways, and that computers have given them access to vast areas of knowledge. They are also very mature in many ways, I just don't know if this is who you want to draft. At least with a volunteer force your getting the % that is more suited to what they might have to do. I don't know if a short ammount of training can undo a lifetime, times are very different than when we last draftd soldiers.

lamarbur

Man that is quite history you have there. Thank you for your service.

Sounds like you need a good co-author or screenwriter. We need a good conservative actor to play you...that could be tough, the three of them might be busy Smile

I can't add much to what you said, but I agree. It is so funny to listen to the "leftie" whiners. Nice, house, 2 SUV's in the yard, kids with everything and America sucks??
What?

If we keep giving it away, over regulating everything, allowing anyone in, poisoning kids minds in school, they maybe right someday soon.

02-08-2004, 14:07 Post: 76351
Wildman1

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Lamarbur..good post..sez it all & I totally agree. I didn't make Vietnam but served my obligation from '67-'73 doing dis-honorable (according to those patriotic libs) National Guard service.

One way all of these entitlements are being paid for is by stealing from the military establishment. Reducing benefits for soldiers & sailors and cutting weapons, reducing force levels..etc.

Veterans play hell getting their promised and well deserved benefits when illegals and other un-entitled get them on a no-hassel basis. Duh??

Then there's civil rights. Fine..to a point..and that point is when it becomes reverse discrimination. Now comes the gay rights issue. They are becoming "protected class" and will sweep the nation sucking up more entitlements with the gay marriage issue. That will/is followed closely by polygamist's rights to 40 wives. Why stop there? Incest will surely follow. It's all gone from the civil rights movement of the '60's to total perversion.

The silent (unfortunately) majority doesn't agree with this but with liberal judges legislating from the bench to circumvent our laws, with the abundant assistance from the ACLU, this is the expected/predictable outcome.

The final stage of a democracy is a military takeover and the subsequent abandonment of any constitution (historically speaking). I'd say we're about there. Then we'll all be truly equal..nobody will have anything..except for those in power (Soviet style equality). Who said that humans are the most intelligent species on the planet?

02-08-2004, 14:33 Post: 76354
lamarbur

Filter by User

Believe it or not, I cut out 75% of what I originally intended to say. My point being, I did the service thing, I did the civic duty thing, I did the self employment thing finishing 1,300,000 logged miles, tried my hand at a paint shop, owned a gas station trying that out,, had employees and had to match their soc sec and other benefits that most aren't aware of, fought many a fight with schools system and their higher than thou unions, answered to 1100 tax payers and their concerns.. I am not an ultra conservative, I am one of six republicans in this town verses 1000 and more democrats. All of it took it's toll and am warn out from fighting it. In the aggregate sense, and that is what it will take, the whole, will have to stand up and say, enough is enough. Pockets of people here and there, aren't enough to get it done. In all of this I see a third party waiting in the wings. Whenever that third party becomes active, I truly believe it will snow ball and changes will be made. It may come down to near anarchy and, or civil war. Hope not, we have enough fighting going on already. We have 4 basic groups of people that take turns running things. The "workers", "warriors", "acquisitors", and "academics". The workers do just that and work, not really worrying who runs what. The last 20 years we have had the acquisitors and academics or a combination of each running the country and/or large corporations.. The warriors are getting tired of all sides. I think the next round, and it may not happen in my life time, but will sooner or later,, the next round, all will be run by warrios while the acquistors and academics regroup for another run at things. This is all I will say on this topic.. Have a great day all.

02-08-2004, 15:30 Post: 76361
kubotaguy

Filter by User

By basically legalizing the illegal aliens, GWB can brag and say we have cut illegal aliens entering the US by 75% (but in fact you now consider them legal!!!). One of my biggest gripes about foreigners in this country is that they need to learn to speak the language (ENGLISH)!!!! I work in Washington DC and can walk a couple of city blocks and see several people in conversations jibber jabbering in some other language. Try to go into a restaurant in DC and see if you can understand anything the people who are serving you are saying. I'm finished my little rant!!! Sorry it's not as good as your rants Richard, but I'm learning!!!! Just kidding!

02-08-2004, 16:07 Post: 76364
lamarbur

Filter by User

Our U.S. congress, both, senate and house of reps have never declared an official language. This, is another thing that should happen, declare English as our official language.. I agree whole heartedly with Kubotag and have spent hundreds of hours in various gvt bldgs delivering computer systems. It's awful to ask a question and get hands up in the air and some foreign language being spoken.

02-08-2004, 16:30 Post: 76366
wbowhunt

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

While taking some college classes, one of the students did a lecture on how the US government mandated that each state be required to provide information in a foreign lanuage based on the foreign population in the area. Meaning that if the region is so many % foreign every store, hospital and resturant must provide any service they provide in english in that foreign language. Forms, Menu's etc etc. Many folks are not aware of this and many states have not been able to keep up. I got furious in class and of course my mouth engaged before my brain and bluttered out how rediclous this was and was told it was only fair. Then my Brain engaged and I asked, why is it fair to provide such service to foreigners living here ( many of whom are here illegally . This also include schools, One of the women I work with who's daughter is in fourth grade talked about how one of her classmates gets all the text books in spanish ( At the TxPayers Expense) as she cannot read english. ( Gee Wouldn't now be a good time to learn)
Yet to the Veterans who have served and given so much to this country does our government do so little for. Example how many VA Medical centers are there in each state? I know many Vets that have to travel 4-6 hours one way to receive their so called benefits for giving to their country. If we can do this to our Vets, Then why don't we just create One hosipital in each state to accommidate what ever the predominate foreign culture is and let them travel there if they don't want to learn to read an write in english.
My entire family came here from Germany in the mid 60's. My Mother never made it past the 5th grade due to WWII, and yet they had to learn the launguage and to read and write and everything else that came with being a US Citizen. I feel extremely lucky to have been born and raised in this great country and have served in the military for the past 18 years, but as we continue to treat everyone with kid gloves and the politicians continue to destory what we have spent so long and given so many lives to defend I am truly scared for my son and the future of our country.
Maybe, just maybe, if we could get the American Public to stop voting based on Party and stop saying Well everyone else is going to vote either Republican or Democrate, So I will just vote for the one I like better and start voting based on the canidate and the issues at hand.
I can hardly watch the news and the debates anymore. They don't discuss the issue's or what is best for our country, They just bash the other guy.
OK I will get off my High Horse and SHut-up Now.
Thank you for listen

02-08-2004, 19:17 Post: 76377
Wildman1

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

To just get people to vote is one thing..getting them to THINK is another thing. You sure can't listen to the garbage the candidates spew forth to decide which one to vote for, you gotta scrutinize their records. Look at the hero, Kerry, as an example. He's been on the wrong side of nearly every issue in his career. And he vents about taking the country back? To what?? 8 more years of Clintonism??

These political "debates" we've been suffering through belong on "Saturday Night Live". What a bunch of sanctimonious, self serving shameless power mongers. You know, maybe living under a benevolent dictator would be an improvement. Key word: benevolent. At least there wouldn't be this constant "debating"..i.e: bickering.

And then let the abused military establishment go out and settle some scores with the patriotic libs. That does have a nice ring to it.

Hasta Lavista muchachos

02-08-2004, 23:09 Post: 76397
F350Lawman

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

"Maybe, just maybe, if we could get the American Public to stop voting based on Party and stop saying Well everyone else is going to vote either Republican or Democrate, So I will just vote for the one I like better and start voting based on the canidate and the issues at hand."

Diddo.

I'll go one further how about not having politicians who air the dirty laundry in public while we have soldiers fighting and dying on a daily purpose. How do you look in the mirror after you've spewed some BS, JUST to dirty up the other party. The fight is on, the time for debate is over. As hard as this may be to believe I was no big Clinton supporter Smile... but I wouldn't want to see Republicans ripping him at every turn if he was in office now. With these politicians it's all about politics, the public be damned. Who cares if their words enbolden our enemies and cause casualties.
Present a unified front, win the fight, kill the terrorists and then if we are ever finished, we can look back and play Monday morning quarterback. If the want to argue there's plenty to criticize. Let them talk about the econonmy. health care, immigration, etc, etc, etc.

I equate the mixed messages our leaders are sending to Americas enemies to having a fellow police officer question what we are doing while in the midst of an angry crowd. Nothing gets the other side going faster than the appearance of weakness or lack of desire to fight. These politicians know that their words are just as useful to this countries enemies as live ammunition. They don't care as long as the get media attention and a few votes.

02-09-2004, 01:33 Post: 76400
F350Lawman

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Mark,

Fortunantely for me, I worked in units with good people. Later as a supervisor I had even better people.

I may be naive but I just think that there are certain things that should be ABOVE political motivation. If these fellas actually believed half the stuff they say it would still be bad. However, I find it too be much worse when you know they would all change their opinions in a heartbeat if the shoe was on the other foot. The Democrats are the worst offenders when it comes to hammering the other party when the take military action. they don't utter a word when their boy is in office. That doesn't mean that there aren't many knuckleheaded Republicans as well.

Man this thread has taken off.. I think I'll save the latest smack at gun-owners in NY post for tomorrow. My fingers are tired from typing Smile

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page 1 | 2 | [ 3 ] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 |      << Prev | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Current Events Forum

Thread 76169 Filter by Poster:
Abbeywoods 1 | AC5ZO 1 | Arkaybee 1 | Chief 7 | F350Lawman 15 | HuckMeat 1 | kubotaguy 5 | kwschumm 3 | lamarbur 3 | loghouse95 1 | shortmagnum 3 | StephenR 1 | TomG 2 | wbowhunt 4 | Wildman1 12 | yooperpete 3 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
candoarms

Landscape Maintenance - Elm Tree Removal Minot North Dakota
Elm Tree Removal Minot North Dakota

Unanswered Questions

Gas Generator Weather Protecti
Horse Injured Polyrope Electri
Do electric fences keep out de
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
gas powered post driver
My new born foal is really sic
Trailer Axle
dump trailer blueprints

Active Subjects

Went to see Dennis Reis this w
Signs to look for prior to lab
leg injury
Broodmare has welts all over h
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
poles in the ground vs. concre
ever thought about moving?

Hot Topics

new app owner
Some Christmas Humor For Horse
Any Peruvian Paso Owners Out T
Heating a Garage
Do electric fences keep out de
gas powered post driver
Trailer Axle

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ guns for self defense
+ Problem Poster
+ women AHHHHH
+ America The Greatest Country on Earth
+ Neighbor easement problem
+ Weddings
+ Tuff Cop
+ My job just went offshore
+ Dealing PROPERLY with a terrorist O